Okay so I spilled some ethanol (just labarotory use, normal ethanol), into my water bottle by accident. So I washed it out with soap etc.. so will it be safe too fill up my water bottle with water again? or will the ethanol contaminate it forever?
05-03-07, 09:55 AM
As far as I know it should be safe, The Ethanol should have just evaporated out of the bottle.
05-03-07, 10:05 AM
I would put some water in and sip it.
If it is still there you should be able to taste it.
Yeah, just wash it and dry it. The ethanol (and methanol, benzene, or any of the other things that they commonly put in lab ethanol) will evaporate.
05-03-07, 01:06 PM
Dude, there's ethanol in beer and wine, it's harmless. I worked in a lab where we bought 200 proof ethanol from the liquor store, since it was more pure than the stuff we could get from laboratory suppliers. I used to squirt some in my tea towards the end of the day.
It's possible that your ethanol was "denatured" to make it undrinkable, however, it's still probably harmless. Have you read the MSDS forms?
05-03-07, 06:38 PM
Or you could go out and make a major investment in a new water bottle.