War: Good or Bad?

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by halo07guy, Sep 23, 2007.

1. Roman Banned Banned

It's grrreeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaatttttttttttttttttttttttttt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. maxg Registered Senior Member

I concur.

And I would also point out that force need not be military. Economic forces cause people to change every day.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

You remind me of Mao.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. draqon Banned Banned

the greater leader of China?

I am nothing.

8. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

yeah, the 'great leader' of china, who led millions of people die because he desired to have a weapons industry for which he paid with with food.

this great leader who send hundreds of thousands of troops to their death in Korea. First of course the regiments who used to serve with the nationalists. War of attrition.

The same one who sacrificed thousands of his own men during his ascent because he wanted to delay going somewhere because a delay would mean keeping a chance for power.

the same one who drove his wife mad. didn't care about his children. or his other wives.

the same one who started the korean war in the hope the US would tie all its troop there so stalin could invade Europe.

the same one that wanted nukes so it could nuke the US because he was convinced that he could win the war of nuclear attrition. fortunately he never got ICBMs in his lifetime.

The same weapons industry that he bought with food (for which millions starved) produced weapons that could not be used. He send airplanes to his allies with the message. Please do not try to fly them.

the man murdered 70 million of its own people. He destroyed chinese culture. he destroyed hundreds of millions of lives.

9. draqon Banned Banned

China is in space now...isn't it?

10. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

No, I think its still attached to East Asia, let me just check google earth.

11. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Is war good or bad? Well, golly, it's good for some, it's bad for others.

I don't know that one could ever come to a worldwide consensus on it, do y'all?

Combat is the best high you'll ever know or experience ...bar none!

Baron Max

12. Enmos Valued Senior Member

13. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

Whoa, thread killer.

14. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

War is generally a bad thing, but violence can be used for good, and sometimes it is essential to wage war

15. wanneszinnig God doesn't work 2day Registered Senior Member

Well that used to be in primitive times .. but not since bombs were invented and anyone could be targeted... It is not because you survived a war, Dragon, that you were adapted better, maybe you were just lucky you weren't there when the bomb hit your house...

16. draqon Banned Banned

indirect social adaptation...everything counts.

17. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

that doesnt make any sense

18. draqon Banned Banned

i am saying adaptation is not something as primitive as wearing clothes and using tools to survive. Adaptation now for humans lies in the use of intelligence on highest level of future prediction, probability count of survival under conditions, and etc.

Survival of the fittest means adapting to environment. Surviving War not just because I/he/we were lucky...but because we knew the right people...because we had the right information....because we had the technology to defend ourselves.

19. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

I doubt you'd be able to predetermine where a bomb would drop better than the military, or at all.

20. Pandaemoni Valued Senior Member

It seems to me that if you invested the same amount of money that would have been spend on war in scientific research, you'd get an even greater return. War was a great boon to technology because it prompted people to spend government money on research...but war isn't required for that to happen. We could spend the same amounts right now. We don't because we want other things in addition to scientific research. In 50 years, our grandkids will look back and wish we'd invested more in it...but screw them, I want my enjoyment now.

War has also been viewed as good here in the U.S. because our cities weren't flattened by it. If the war came to us, I don't think there's be any question but that it was a bad thing, jet engines or no jet engines.

21. wanneszinnig God doesn't work 2day Registered Senior Member

It is an illusion that you can control every signle thing in a war...maybe you indeed knew the right person...but a lot of other people knew that guy too and never got to the border...not because they were stupid but because they were unlucky.

22. draqon Banned Banned

because they did not have enough power of will.

23. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

What!? How does will power affect how information is passed to you, if you buy a lotto ticket and dont win it doesnt mean that you didnt have enough will to win, it just means that you didnt get picked.