Supreme Court Upholds Gun Right

Discussion in 'World Events' started by Buffalo Roam, Jun 26, 2008.

1. superstring01 Moderator

It's complicated and requires a complex mathematical formula to figure out. As an Indian, I'm sure you've got the math part down pat, but I'm barred by law from telling anybody without proper clearance who is and who is not allowed to own firearms.

I'd tell you but I'd have to kill you.

Hmmm... though, I can give you a hint and just beat the shit out of you.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

~String

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Echo3Romeo One man wolfpack Registered Senior Member

The Uzi is not a machinegun, it is a machine pistol. Uzis are categorically illegal under the Federal import ban. The Firearm Owners Protection Act of 1986 (Hughes Amendment) bans the sale of automatic weapons of any kind that were manufactured after 1986. In any case, it is guaranteed that whatever weapons those students were busted with were either banned or highly regulated, the students procured them illegally, and the presence or absence of the DC handgun ban would have no effect whatsoever on their prevalence on or around your campus.

To answer your later question, not everyone can own a firearm. Read about the Gun Control Act of 1968.

If the situation in the US became so desperate that Posse Comitatus bit the shitter and the US military was ordered to act on the civilian population, we would be too busy deserting and overthrowing the government to shoot our friends and families.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

Seriously, Take the automatics off.. You can go without a 30 round mag, can't you ?

Hell, I'm scared to be around Bolt action rifles...
    Aren't they loud enough ?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

So its a constitutional right to own a gun but not everyone has the right to own one?

Is this true for all guns? Are there guns for which you do not need a licence or age requirement?

8. Echo3Romeo One man wolfpack Registered Senior Member

The 2nd Amendment only applies to the militia. The current militia act, the Militia Act of 1958, defines the militia as:
    #2 is where most recreational gun owners fall under. They are not in the military, but if they are able-bodied males between 17 and 45, they are part of the unorganized militia and are protected under the 2nd Amendment.

That is my understanding of things, at least.

This is a very complex question and its answers rely heavily upon what state (and sometimes city) you live in. Federal firearm laws, in addition to the 1968 GCA I linked to above, also regulate things like machine guns, suppressors (what are often erroneously called "silencers"), short-barreled rifles (less than 16"), etc. You can still buy a machinegun or a suppressor for your pistol, but you need to fill out a bunch more paperwork, pay some fees, and additional taxes. Federal law also regulates the transfer of firearms between different states and mandates that dealers order criminal background checks for every purchase and a 10 day waiting period before delivery of the firearm to the purchaser. There are more, but you get the idea.

On top of the Federal laws, states impose restrictions on who can carry a concealed firearm, what type of license you need to do so, and what it takes to get that license. Some states also have more restrictions on specific types of firearms and high capacity magazines that more or less resemble the now-defunct 1994 Assault Weapons Ban. The AWB was a Federal law that expired in 2004 and did not get enough support in Congress to be renewed, so in response, some of the less "gun friendly" states simply plagiarized the AWB and made it a state law. Gun control is by and large a state issue. Federal gun laws get into the territory of states' rights, which is unsavory territory for a lot of voters and politicians.

Municipal laws, like the DC gun ban, are not very common. Only New York, Chicago, and San Francisco have similar laws, and after this precedent I'm sure their days are numbered.

As for not needing a license or age requirement; you need to be 18 to buy a long gun (rifle or shotgun) and 21 to buy a handgun. Purchasing an air rifle, CO2 pistol, etc. usually requires that you be 18 as well, but I think that is a state thing. There is no Federal license requirement to own a gun, but a few states do have license requirements for ownership.

The NRA keeps a good reference for both Federal and state laws: http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/

9. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Is the court still bolshevik? Or is this a ruling conservatives can agree with?

10. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

So basically you have a militia and a constitutional right to gun ownership so you can fight a demagogic government, but the government decides who owns a gun and which gun. Is that right?

11. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

But as I understand it, it cannot withhold the right of ownership unless it has a reason like they are a criminal or mentally ill.

12. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Hooray! And how appropriate that it happens just before the 4th of July!
    For someone who goes on and on about every little bad thing the US has ever done, no matter how obscure, how is it that you know so little about things such as this?

The right to own a gun applies to every adult. It, like the right to vote, can't be taken away without good reason. Felons, for instance, can't vote or own firearms in most states. The mentally ill can't own guns. Pretty much any other adult can.
    This decision, like many, was 5-4. So we have 4 or 5 bolsheviks, depending on the issue. We're really just one more judicial appointment shy of an ironclad conservative majority on the Court. Let's hope McCain gets in and sees to it we get it!

Last edited: Jun 26, 2008
  13. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

And I suppose, those who work for the government, have tanks, while those who do not, have stones.

14. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

Thank You for the PDF, it is awesome, the SCOTUS came down squarely on the side of the right of the people to keep and bear arms, all arms.

They defined the Militia as the People, all able bodied people of the Country, and that the Militia isn't the organized Army or National Guard.

This is going to change a lot of gun control laws, as they restrict the People from the right to defend them selves, by restricting access to firearms and their procession, and ability to bear those arms in defence of their dignity and person.

Awesome!

15. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

16. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

What the hell are you talking about? Any American (except felons) who wants a gun can just go the the gun store and buy one.

There was a shootout in LA (I believe) a few years ago and the police were out gunned. So what did they do? They went to a gun store down the street and bought more guns. This was just a normal gunshop they went to. One open to the public. They walked in and purchased guns superior to the ones issued to them by the government so they could match the firepower of the criminals.

17. John99 Banned Banned

I posted the youtube video to that. The year was 1997, i believe. After that the cops have machine guns and whatever firepower they want.

18. superstring01 Moderator

It has been held that the STATE governments can restrict and govern gun ownership to a certain extent. The average citizen does not have the right to posses WMD's or a howitzer, for example, but they do have the right to posses personal fire arms so long as they follow the law and do not have a previous criminal record. Some states are very strict, some are very lenient. The federal government was allowed to restrict how quickly a person can get a fire arm, but in the end, any law abiding citizen can buy and carry a firearm.

~String

19. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

wait does that mean i have the right to bear all sorts of medieval weaponary if i wanted to?

20. superstring01 Moderator

There are no restrictions on swords, guillotines, maces, trebuchets, catapults, longbows, crossbows, clubs, daggers, and their like. Only "firearms".

~String

21. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Well if they decide to put, for instance, all the Japanese Americans into prison, is it a demagogic government? Can the Japanese Americans attack them? I doubt it, because the guns that the National Guard and the US forces, employed by the government, are bigger. It would be like throwing stones at a tank and sometimes, the guy driving the tank can't see if there are people in front of him.

22. Cazzo Registered Senior Member

They already have with abortion and the death penalty of hard criminals....

23. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

abortion isn't killing. something has to be alive before you can kill it.