Louis Essen discusses Einstein's theories.

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by Scaramouche, Jan 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scaramouche Registered Member

Simply accusing Essen of ignorance is pretty bad, considering he was one of the most important physicists of his time (you know, giving us the second, the speed of light, and atomic clocks), and given that he spent his entire life studying and researching physics. I think it's pretty sad to assume he did not at some point study relativity while researching his book about relativity, during an entire life dedicated to studying physics.

By the way, regarding post-grads (and this still annoys me), one of my physics lecturers had completely fucking wrong ideas that he was teaching people. I shit you not, he claimed water could not be pumped higher than 9.8 metres above sea level.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

And he was correct - if the pumping was done with a vacuum (suction) pump. Perhaps you failed to notice that small, but very important detail.

One of the most common shallow-well pumps have exactly that limitation. To be a bit more accurate, they're not used if the surface of water in the well drops below 30 feet. To overcome that limitation, the jet is removed from the pump housing and installed at the bottom of the well - which now requires two pipes be used instead of the single one. Also, the most common approach nowadays is to use a multi-staged submersible pump.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. rpenner Fully Wired Valued Senior Member

"Scaramouche
    Formerly Adam (229 posts)"

Is this evidence you have been banned before?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Scaramouche Registered Member

No, it was an absolute in his belief.

8. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Absolutely not. No one can be that foolish in a world full of skyscrapers.

9. Scaramouche Registered Member

That was the argument I gave him.

10. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Oh, well, there are dummies everywhere - this place is perfect proof if anyone doubts that.

11. AlphaNumeric Fully ionized Registered Senior Member

Einstein contributed even more so you dismissing him out of hand is hypocritical.

12. Scaramouche Registered Member

How the fuck did you people get this dumb? Scroll back up there, sunshine, and find where I dismissed Einstein in any way, then quote it for me.

13. Guest254 Valued Senior Member

Love this guy. Viva la revolution!

14. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

His ignorance is plain to see, it doesn't need to be assumed.

15. Scaramouche Registered Member

I am seriously underwhelmed when I see Internet forum retards accuse Louis Essen of ignorance. I suggest you figure out who you're talking about before typing such nonsense. After that, try thinking about his words.

16. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

He's certainly wasn't ignorant in his field. But his words make it quite plain that he was ignorant about the basics of relativity, as I'm sure many physicists are. Do you understand that 'expert in physics' doesn't imply 'expert in relativity'?

17. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

There's no physics being discussed here.

Thread closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.