Cain Wins Florida Straw Poll

Discussion in 'Politics' started by madanthonywayne, Sep 26, 2011.

1. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

In a surprise upset, Herman Cain won big in the Florida straw poll. He received more votes than front runners Romney and Perry combined.
    http://campaign2012.washingtonexaminer.com/article/how-cain-won-florida

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Republicans are scared. The smart ones know that their standard bearers are all deeply flawed. Cain is just as stupid as Perry. The Republican message is deeply flawed. The Tea Party message is deeply flawed. When Republicans cheer as they have done, the execution of another human or the death of another human because he did not have healthcare insurance, something is deeply wrong with in the party. And no messiah will be able lead the party on to victory unless they first heal the party. And I don't see that happening any time soon. The Tea Partiers celebrate their disease. They have no want of a cure.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

A pageant of (coloquially unfit nobodies talking seriously)

Right now it's like a character selection screen in a video game. Push the d-pad to the right, and rotate a new character up to the front.

Mitt Romney is the frontrunner by default. But he's a Mormon, and because of Romneycare and a half-million position flip-flops over the years, the GOP's burgeoning, anxious right wing is uncomfortable with him.

So they latched onto Michele Bachmann. Except she's insane.

And then Rick Perry showed up. Except he confuses them, to say the least, and his shining star tarnishes almost every time he opens his mouth.

So it's Herman Cain's turn. Except the rest of us know how that's going to go.

The real questions are, "Who's next?" I mean, really. It can't be that Santorum or Gingrich will get a week each as frontrunner, right?

Meanwhile, Joe Lapointe, a Current TV producer, offered up his perspective over the weekend:

Various candidates mentioned "Ronald Reagan" so often it sounded like a re-run of a Sean Hannity show. You got the feeling that a wax dummy of Reagan lined up on the stage would get more applause (and votes) than any of them.

And that speaks to why they are scared. In a candid column in "The Weekly Standard" Friday, the Fox contributor William Kristol lamented the lame G.O.P. field and quoted a "bright young conservative" as telling him "WE SOUND LIKE CRAZY PEOPLE."

There are caveats, of course, about Kristol. He's the one who launched Sarah Palin in 2008 because, oh, because she intrigued him. And Kristol's bloody fingerprints remain all over the Iraq slaughter which he gleefully pushed before accepted a one-year fellowship as an error-filled columnist for The New York Times. Kristol ended his column Friday by crying out for a new candidate—Chris Christie, the jumbo governor of New Jersey. Go for it, Kristol. That's just what your party needs: A big, loud, mean bully from Jersey who bashes unions and cozies up to the Koch brothers.

In the interest of full disclosure, though, I should mention that he makes an uncouth joke about New Jersey Governor Chris Christie's posterior. Now, normally, I find this a low-risk joke, but in light of a recent European development that sees people going to trial for failing to adequately warn people about what cannot be predicted, perhaps conservatives with nervous conditions such as chronic hypersensitivity and Exploding Cardiac Organ Neo-Syndrome should avoid reading the rest of the article.

Sorry, just covering my ass. I admit, though, it's a lot easier for me than it is for Governor Christie.

Oh, right. Damn.

Notes:

LaPointe, Joe. "'Countdown' producer Joe Lapointe on the GOP debate". Thinking Points. September 25, 2011. Current.com. September 27, 2011. http://current.com/shows/countdown/blog/2011-09-25

8. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

One of the problems with the Republican/Tea Party is that in order to obtain the Tea Party element, they have to either be dumb as hell or spew the ignorant Tea Party trash. Either way, that kind of stuff does not play well with the nation at large.

9. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Praised by supporters for both its simplicity and its specificity, Cain’s plan drops the current 35 percent corporate tax rate to 9 percent, swaps the 6-bracket personal income tax system for a 9 percent flat tax and creates a 9 percent national sales tax.

Unlike the economic proposals of his fellow candidates, Cain’s would add a new tax to the code in the form of a consumption-based national sales tax.

The Tax Policy Center estimates that cutting capital gains taxes alone would allow 23,000 millionaires to pay no income taxes, a move that would add $11 billion to the deficit each year.

In Tennessee, for example, the combined state and local sales tax rate is 9.43 percent, the highest average rate in the nation, according to a September Tax Foundation report. Under Cain’s plan a Tennessean who buys a $400 flat-screen television would pay about $74 in taxes. They currently pay about $38.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...emxak4&usg=AFQjCNFY8ujFzG9hDiMzsnb215P25kA10w

A number of comments made by Cain regarding his attitudes towards Muslim people have caused controversy. He has stated that he was "uncomfortable" when he found that the surgeon operating on his liver and colon cancer was Muslim, later explaining "based upon the little knowledge that I have of the Muslim religion, you know, they have an objective to convert all infidels or kill them".Following a number of such comments, he was asked in March 2011 if he would feel comfortable appointing a Muslim to his administration or as a Judge. Cain said "No, I will not ...

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...emxak4&usg=AFQjCNHH1n5dYDFZpSRTdCLiBDnIXw4xuw

Herman Cain takes a strong stand, and sometimes controversial stand on abortion issues, in his 2004 Georgia senate run he said abortion should be illegal even in cases of rape and incest.

Cain is a staunch opponent of gay marriage and believes that we Americans need to protect the sanctity of marriage as defined between one man and one woman. He does not support civil unions and would reinstate 'Don't Ask Don't Tell' which prohibits homosexuals from serving openly in the military.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...fvnpFF&usg=AFQjCNFXZkUo5BCBTUJn1DcNaeYEy8akYw

10. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

Something about all those polls which show a "generic Republican" easily beating Obama (even as Obama out-polls any actual GOP candidate) goes here...

It's been 30 years, people. That well of triumphalism has run dry. Time for some new ideas.

11. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Cain does have that angry look that Republicans/Tea Baggers just love.

12. 786 Searching for Truth Valued Senior Member

Cain's a racist

Anyways FL straw poll represents the establishment vote of FL. If you know how the FL straw poll works a lot of the votes are coming from the party establishment unlike many other straw polls which is significantly average people.

Cain will gain because of this, but this doesn't show anything in terms of his support publicly (not just establishment).

Current top 3 still are Perry, Romney, Paul.

BTW Perry and Romney are just panderers. They should NEVER (including Bachmann) be elected IMO.

@Tiassa
    Your understanding is fundamentally flawed is also an option

13. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Oh, please do explain.

14. Telemachus Rex Protesting Mod Stupidity Registered Senior Member

I will have difficulty voting for Cain, since his understanding of the Constitution is pretty scary (when he can distinguish it from the Declaration of Independence, he thinks it says that local communities are allowed to ban the building of mosques, if they want). The man can't even make a good pizza.

15. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

16. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

Wait... did 786 just out himself as not just a Republican, but a Paulite?

/head assplode

17. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

The obvious question

Just?

18. 786 Searching for Truth Valued Senior Member

And if I remember correctly you failed to respond to that.

Its quite hard to be fair with people who don't agree with

19. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

(Something, something, Burt Ward)

If you say so.

I would suggest, instead, that it's quite hard to be fair to people who bawl about unfairness no matter what.

In this case, there is not much I can say that will sound fair to someone who compares a small business to an international corporation or the United States government in order to make excuses for his favorite candidate.

20. 786 Searching for Truth Valued Senior Member

My bad.. I replied to that post but you never replied back. Since you keep posting a link to 'that post' alone I didn't realize the one you quoted above was the second last.

Your idea that such a mistake can not happen first of all is nonsense, and second of all Ron Paul did apologize and say that it was his responsibility as it was carrying his name... Now after this, what you want? Kiss a 100 black men?

Secondly your argument is: Ron Paul is lying.. as if you know everything... Find me one black man from his district or otherwise where Ron Paul was a racist to them? You are accusing the man of lying in his defense when you have no evidence that he is. And there are people who are 'black' who came in support of Ron Paul that Ron Paul is not a racist.

I'm not making excuses for him, I'm saying your accusations of him lying have no evidence and you can't back it up with any person who was a victim to his racism.

Secondly his principle policy has always been: Individual freedom and liberty. He changed his position on the death penalty because he believed it was discriminatory (blacks were killed more), he is against the drug war not only because he disagrees with it on principle but he sees that blacks are being imprisoned in a disproportionate manner. I can 'trust' him (not make excuses) based on this evidence. To not be satisfied with his apology, and to accuse him of lying... So really he should kiss a 100 black men?

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  21. wlminex Banned Banned

. . . I predict (prognosticate) that Herman Cain will be our next President!

22. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

The underlying problem

I just don't buy his excuse that he didn't know. From any other politician's mouth, I doubt you would, either; plausible deniability is a classic, but it only carries weight when it is plausible.

To the other, perhaps you're right. Maybe he had no clue what his campaign staff and business partners were up to.

At least, in that case, we know what to expect of a Ron Paul presidency.

Please remember that the American left has endured its share of goofballs. I hear Lyndon LaRouche, for instance, is still at it.

23. 786 Searching for Truth Valued Senior Member

I provided reasons above (edited) to buy his excuse.

Not really. It was one mistake, and that has not been repeated once it was known. So I think thats a good sign. Means his presidency would try to correct mistakes of the past rather than to continue them.