Now that NASA has confirmed "cold fusion" what will happen?

Discussion in 'Pseudoscience Archive' started by kwhilborn, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

kwhilborn, have you ever thought of owning your very own bridge?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Nasa are Cop-e-cats, says Rossi.

Andrea Rossi has made some comments regarding the revelation that NASA is involved in LENR research. Rossi was asked on his JONP site to comment on the video that NASA released discussing its LENR work. He responded:

The fact that NASA is trying to copy my work honours me. But their theory is wrong. We will beat them, as well as all the other Competitors with our E-Cats: the E-Cats will have a too low price to allow NASA or anybody else to compete with us. They are Goliath, very big and strong, we are David.

When asked if NASA’s research into LENR was a vindication of his own work Rossi replied:

his is not confirmation, nor vindication: this is copyation. But the original is much better. In any case, these are real Competitors, not clowns with a mock up, like others around.

http://www.e-catworld.com/2012/01/rossi-admits-nasa-is-a-competitor-intends-to-beat-them/

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Tronkostroglutegunkr Registered Senior Member

I think this means that NASA is aware of the other "experiments" and are looking into it, not "we have a working reactor".

They're interested in the potential of LENR. If they'd confirmed it, this would be front page news. That hasn't happened yet.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

8. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Why is everything to do with Cold Fusion such codology?

9. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I am a Nasa Employee. Let me tell you my ideas about Cold Fusion.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  10. george-elliott Registered Member

If LENR is real, then what can we expect?

One logical expectation was mentioned last year (2011) in the Chinese announcement of their version. They indicated that instead of exporting their 5 KW units, they (China) would install them in the remoter regions of their country which are not yet connected to the national electric grid.

Another seemingly logical expectation would be that the first users (outside of rural China) would be the military organizations and scienticfic organizations which are stationed in severely cold places such as Antartica and the observatiories on the tops of mountains.

An extention of the use in remote locations would be by governments for the purpose of obtaining potable water for their communities of citizens on their islands by desalinization of sea water. For instance, the US and British Virgin Islands.

One way to summarize these expectations would be to say that we can expect increased warfare, military and commercial.

11. billvon Valued Senior Member

Another way to summarize this is to say that we can expect another ten million words posted about cold fusion before the first kilowatt is ever generated.

Cold fusion so far can't generate any power, but can generate thousands of posts from just a few grams of hydrogen. If only there was a way to turn breathless pronouncements into power . . .

12. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Unadulterated nonsense - and the blogger was your own source of the video.

13. george-elliott Registered Member

10 million words??

Hm. It seems that you are sadly correct to imply that the people on this forum just can't get past the old news that LENR works; so all we are going to see here, for quite some time, is 10 million people in denial. Sigh.

14. Rhaedas Valued Senior Member

What is meant by "LENR works"? Is something going on, yes. Is it agreed on what that is, no. Is it a potential power source, unlikely, certainly hasn't been demonstrated.

15. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

I think Zawodny's closing statement summed it up nicely:

"While I personally find sufficient demonstration that LENR effects warrant further investigation, I remain skeptical. Furthermore, I am unaware of any clear and convincing demonstrations of any viable commercial device producing useful amounts of net energy."

16. jm211 Registered Member

NASA should be more careful about what they release. This Zawodny character, although a real scientist in the area of atmospheric science, is not a physicist and apparently doesn't have the background to make the claims he has been making. By searching internet you can find a 2010 presentation where he actually advocates generating energy from a zero point energy device, which most real physicists would classify as a perpetual motion machine.

The LENR thing is actually the brain child of the chief scientist at Langley, Dennis Bushnell. You can search for it on internet. He is not a physicist either by the way. He's actually an aerospace engineer with a background in aerodynamics and fluid mechanics.

I would have posted links to the documents I describe but as a new member I am not allowed.

17. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Mod Hat — Xfer Note

Mod Hat — Xfer note

Owing to the lack of any evidence that "NASA has confirmed 'cold fusion'", and in light of a statement by a central player in this drama, Dr. Joseph Zawodny, that, "Every attempted demonstration of a LENR device that I am aware of has failed to meet one or more of these criteria" (qtd. in Gibbs), this thread is redirected to Pseudoscience.

Notes:

Gibbs, Mark. "Cold Fusion: NASA Says Nothing Useful". Forbes. January 16, 2012. Forbes.com. January 25, 2012. http://www.forbes.com/sites/markgibbs/2012/01/16/cold-fusion-nasa-says-nothing-useful/

18. jm211 Registered Member

Go to nasa watch and do a search for LENR. Looks like the controversy is already heating up for them ...