Protect your marriage by avoiding friendships with members of the opposite sex.

Discussion in 'The Cesspool' started by arauca, Mar 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arauca Banned Banned

Adultery is one of the gravest blows to a marriage, as well as a painful rejection for one partner. But you don't have to be intimate with anyone else to be unfaithful. Emotional infidelity is just as -- and at times even more -- destructive to your marriage. Couples I counsel are absolutely outraged when I tell them that they could well be committing emotional adultery when they flirt with coworkers, send around funny emails to colleagues, or hang out with members of the opposite sex at gatherings. But they are, and so probably are you.
    http://www.aish.com/f/m/92618844.html

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Balerion Banned Banned

Emotional affairs can begin as friendships, but they are not defined as friendships. Sharing a funny email or flirting with someone would not qualify as such a thing.

I sincerely doubt you council anyone, unless you're the member of some weird church.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. arauca Banned Banned

why em I one, could you explain.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. arauca Banned Banned

A new survey conducted by U.K. divorce website found that 33 percent of divorce petitions in 2011 contained references to Facebook. Another survey by the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers found that “Facebook holds the distinction of being the unrivaled leader for online divorce evidence with 66% citing it as the primary source.” Also, more than 80 percent of divorce lawyers stated they “have seen an increase in the number of cases using social networking evidence” during the past few years.

What’s so bad about Facebook and why is it playing a role in destroying marriages? While there are many benefits of Facebook, there are a few points to be aware of when it comes to getting between you and your spouse.

1. Keeping up with the Joneses

Today our lives are an open book. Login to your Facebook account and you can learn just about every intimate detail of your friends’ existence. Even if you think you feel secure in your relationship, you may begin to discover that your marriage is not as exciting as you thought it was. Facebook has given new meaning to the term, “keeping up with the Joneses.”

Take one wife who read about the multiple family vacations of her acquaintance. Why couldn’t her husband take her and the kids camping too? A huge fight ensued and although he agreed to go camping, they realized afterwards that no two families are created equal, despite the acquaintance’s romanticized postings of being “camp mommy.”

It is easy to view the lives of others and want the same for ourselves. This often creates an underlying anxiety which can lead to tension at home and unreasonable demands. That Facebook friend may look like she’s having the time of her life traveling and buying new clothes, don’t lose sight that her husband may have a multimillion dollar business. Don’t lose perspective when being bombarded with the outer (and often false) grandeur of other people’s lives.

Click here to receive Aish.com's free weekly email.

2. Relationships with the Opposite Sex

If you are in a relationship where you feel unloved or disregarded, a little bit of attention from the opposite sex can be tempting. The ease of causal comments on Facebook can lead to a slippery slope where we can find ourselves becoming increasingly attached to someone other than our spouse. A nice comment here, a little chat there, and next thing you know you’re emotionally invested in a relationship.

If you think I am exaggerating, Drs Pat Love and Steve Stosny write in How to Improve Your Marriage Without Talking About It (p.89) that even if you are happily married, spending enough private time with someone you are attracted to can turn that chemistry into infatuation. All the more so, if you have an unfulfilling marriage. Chatting on Facebook or instant messenging when no one is around can add the thrill of privacy to the conversation. Pretty soon you could find yourself in a compromised situation that you don’t want to be in.
    http://www.aish.com/f/m/Facebook_and_Divorce.html

8. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

You are just so full of shit. People can flirt. If they aren't fucking that other person, they aren't cheating.

9. arauca Banned Banned

I am not full if any thing , I just posted some opinion which is posted in a Jewish conservative writing.

10. Balerion Banned Banned

This just means that more people are using Facebook. Does this correlate to an uptick in divorces, or is it simply the means by which people and their extramarital partners are communicating?

Nor does this speak to whether or not these people are meeting on Facebook, or simply using it to keep in touch as opposed to email exchanges or phone calls.

If a marriage cannot withstand looking at Joe and Jen Jones' Hawaiian vacation pictures, then they have problems that extend f

11. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Then it's a faith position, which is why it's nonsense. Monogamy doesn't necessarily make a marriage better. And how is it anyone put you in a position to counsel married people?

12. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Mod Hat — Time Out

Mod Hat — Time out ....

Three brief notes. First:

Nobody put him in that position. It is part of a quote from the source document.​

Second:

This is a terribly presented quote.

There are no textual alterations such as marginal indent, quote box, or even quotation marks to indicate that the material is not original.

Presented as it is, I knew to click the link because of the sentence about "couples I counsel". That is, to put that statement in the proverbial mouth of the topic poster was a bridge too far, so I suspected there was another way to read it.​

Third:

This thread is demonstrative of a problem with undefined topic posts. We much prefer that members contribute their own content to their posts, especially topic posts.

Otherwise, two general problems arise. Quite obviously, it's simply a lazy way to post. Beyond that, as we see, such posts can lead to confusion.​

Such as it is, the best thing to do is terminate this discussion before it gets further out of hand. I'm not throwing any flags on this occasion, but I will remind specifically that topic posters need to give us something to work with, and responding members need to check their insults.

Closed and redirected.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.