We Need a Sports Forum

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by Prince_James, Mar 15, 2007.

?

There Ought to be a Sports Forum

1. Yea. There ought to be one.

35.5%
  2. Nay. There ought to not be one.

64.5%
  1. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

As sports is both a popular topic and one which many have a broad interest in, there ought to be a forum to accomodate such under "life".

All in favour, vote yea. All opposed, vote nay.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

Someone asked for this a few weeks ago.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

I voted no......again

I did have an idea though - how about a "mental/emotional/medical" help forum? It would be for all those people that want to post those sorts of questions (IE--- "How can I meet women?", "Why are men so stupid?", "How do I get rid of my creeping nematode infection"----etc )

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Dear Jesus, why do you test us so much?!?

8. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

I never did get rid of my creeping nematode infection.

9. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

You have to rub your toes with vinegar before you go to sleep and when you wake up you rub bat guano on your chest.

10. phonetic stroking my banjo Registered Senior Member

Mwahaha.

13 no
    2 yes

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

Sports = Evil

12. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

Oh? Tell me more.

13. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

Sports = fun

14. vslayer Registered Senior Member

in case you havent noticed, this forum is populated by nerds. we dont like sport.

15. Bells Staff Member

Sports forum?

Why..

That's just not cricket!!

16. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

We need a cesspool we can create threads in.

17. vslayer Registered Senior Member

i thought you could. maybe they took that away again. if you create a retarded enough thread it will end up there anyway.

18. w1z4rd Valued Senior Member

Its a sports forum, there is science in sports...pleeeeeeeeeeease... the cricket world cup is on and I would love to discuss it more.

South Africa are so going to win this one!

Please dont vote no out of spite for people you dont like here. Some of us geeks actually like some sports (though I dont get the soccer, golf, tennis, squash thing)

With owning every single episode of Stargate, Battlestar Gallactica, Most of the different Star Trek series, Mythbusters and such I believe I can claim the right to Geekdom (well that and I am a member of the Geek Freedom League and the local Pirate Party).

Ill admit it, I like cricket, womans beach ball, most surfing and extreme sports. Paintball rocks.

So mayb you can make it a "Sport and Gaming" section. I am sure a lot of people here are into WoW, Bf2, CoD2, Supreme Commander, Eve.. lots of games. It would be a fun and new forum

With allowing a religious section and not a "sports and gaming section" on the sciforums site would seem to me to be a wee bit on the hypocritical side.

I really hope some of you change your minds :shrug:

Last edited: Mar 17, 2007
  19. WraithGod Registered Senior Member

I'm not quite sure what you mean by sports, but anything scientific involving it could fit in the health or physics-type forums.

20. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

I'd agree. If someone wants to dicuss sports, feel free to post your topics in Free Thoughts. If you want to talk about sports science, there are others forums the topic would fit in. Biology, General Science, physics, etc...

21. w1z4rd Valued Senior Member

I again point you to the hypocrisy of allowing a religion section and not a sports.

22. SkinWalker Archaeology / Anthropology Moderator

Religion is a topic that can and is examined scientifically. In spite of, and perhaps much to the consternation of, many members that post there, anthropology, sociology, psychology, and neurology have had and continue to have a lot to say about religion.

It could, of course be discussed in each of the forums appropriate for the disciplines above, but a religion forum allows for a confluence of the ideas in general. And it also gives a place where the effect that religion and science has on each other can be discussed as a matter of policy and consequences. In this day and age, religion and science are often at odds with each other, very much in spite of the denial put forth by proponents of non-overlapping magisteria. The topic of religion *will* come up in science forums and the religion forum gives a place that these topics can be vetted.

23. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

I'm involved in a number of team and individual sports year round, yet I don't see the reason we should have a sports forum?

PJ, could you put together a "business case" as to why you think a science forum should have a sports board and what we would expect to see there? Sporting events? NHL? NBA? NFL? Sports injuries?

How about this for example:

http://www.exploratorium.edu/sports/