What will be the next 'big' thing?

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by alexb123, Jun 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexb123 The Amish web page is fast! Valued Senior Member

In my life time the revolution has been the internet. Whats next?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

A return to segragation of people and cultures. We're already seeing much of it in the world today. People want to live with people of their own kind, and their own beliefs, and their own ways of life.

Baron Max

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

Global currency, perhaps.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

No idea, but this wireless energy transfer racket could get interesting:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6129460.stm

Also, I think computers will become much more integrated into the home environment - controlling TV output, stereo equipment, lighting etc. All this is possible now but not commonplace. It'll probably become so.

8. charles brough Registered Senior Member

Baron Max may well have the answer!

A global currency? That is what the dollar is supposed to be. I must say, however, if I were a foreign country and had my reserves in the form of U.S. federal bonds and notes, I would be very uneasy over the way the balance of payments is shooting up!

Having been an American all my life, I am able to appreciate the situation here well enough to figure that we will never be able to pay off those bonds and notes value for value when they come due. We are mired in debt as it is.

charles

9. orcot Valued Senior Member

afther global communication (internet laptops cellphones)

Cloning? adding 20 years or something to people lifes by making organ farms... reviving extinct animals like mammoths... reviving neanderthals thereby recreating a second sentient being... making simple (onecelled)lifeforms that can life on mars and ad greenhouse gasses.

who knows at what they do at places like fermilab perhaps they're going to develop something extra dimensional that can be tested altough fasther then light is far off

better space telescopes that can an do detect "habitable" planets that can be somewhat studied

Like things are progressing it's going to envolve miniaturisation and fasther computer prosessing.

10. orcot Valued Senior Member

It pretty much exists unless your comming with east korean simoleans you can trade in any currency for... whatever: dollars; euro's; evereything even boots

11. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

nuclear war, world war 3 and the destruction of modern society as a whole.

peace.

12. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

As much as I'd like that to happen, I just don't see any large-scale wars occuring anywhere, or between anyone ...who would it be?

But, ...I can easily see mini-wars all over the planet. Sunnis against Shittes. Conservatives against liberals. Right-to-Chosers against Right-to-Lifers. Blacks against whites. Whites against Mexican Immigrants. Rural against urban. Christians against Muslims. ... Small groups of people, not large groups, or nations ...no nation is cohesive anymore, everyone has their own biases and some are quite serious about their particular beliefs about things.

It's happening right now! All over the world.

Baron Max

13. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Jet packs. And pills that swell up to become food. And hovering schools, and robot dogs.

14. orcot Valued Senior Member

China VS...

no offence but tibet, taiwan, India, Japan... Never be to sure on anything

... hoover cars... their must be hoover cars

15. Carcano Valued Senior Member

The guy who invents a battery that can take your car 300 miles and recharge in 10 minutes will do more good for the world than every protesting environmentalist who has ever lived.

16. VitalOne Banned Banned

The next big thing will be....hmm nothing really that big nor revolutionary as the computer...but there will be shots that prevent pregnancy....and there will also be these type of 3-D television things...

17. Jeff 152 Registered Senior Member

computer chips in your head or some kind of headset you wear that can detect brainwaves and act on them. We have begun doing this somewhat I saw on tv a headset thing that allowed a person to move a pointer across a computer screen using only their mind and imaginging it moving.

Something like this except on a much larger scale and integrating your entire environment into it. For example, being able to turn on and off lights around your house by thinking it, starting your car, driving your car all just by thinking it.

18. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

By God, I think he's got it.

Next stop, the Singularity and accompanying Transhumanification.

Quickly followed by Skynet, human redundancy and annihilation - naturally.

19. Carcano Valued Senior Member

Your next computer will problably have a low power processor like the Pentium M, and a solid state hard drive...no moving parts.

20. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

And how many people would you trust in a thought-controlled car?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

One slight daydream or off-topic thought and, blam!

21. Carcano Valued Senior Member

One of my customers already has a motion sensing lighting system in his house. The lights go on as you walk through the house...without touching a single switch.

22. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

Well...I came over from the science forum boards, to give y'all a look see.

I think the next wave of innovation will be fueled by a new discovery in battery technology. Our current portable devices are severely limited by power issues due to poor battery performance.
    If someone could come up with a new way of storing/generating electricity in a small, lightweight, portable package, with a high power to weight ratio....combined with someone figuring out room-temperature super-conductors, and we'd have portable devices "Star Trek" writers couldn't think up.

My first post here...I'm generally the "class clown" on the science forum, so don't take any of my post too seriously.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

23. weed_eater_guy It ain't broke, don't fix it! Registered Senior Member

artificial intelligence evolving alongside nanological enhancement to humans to allow man and machine to intertwine into an even more complex social structure, but only in developed nations, impoverished nations are unfortunately left on the curb in the rain

it's unfortunate, so what I would REALLY like to see I don't think is possible yet, but I pray for some sort of future scenario where mankind further unifies for the better, learns to accept our roles as both participants and responsible supervisors of the living ecosystems of this planet, but still progresses culturally, technologically, and even physically as we evolve into better beings.

yes, that was a mashup of happy-hippie-shit and futurist utopia, but hey, one can dream, right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.