Gaia theory and evolution

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by fuzzywuz, Oct 5, 2005.

1. URI IMU Registered Senior Member

>> (Is URI sentient?)

widen you mind...

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Expand your answers.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

That seems to run counter to the accepted scientific notion that evolution is "driven" (bad word, I know) solely by random mutations that are either beneficial, harmful or neither.
    The fact that Evolution scientists claim that it is solely random mutations that are responsible for changes organisms is what causes trouble for a lot of people.
    If it is not solely random, what causes the hair to grow faster and thicker in colder climates?
    What causes the production of melatonin to be affected by sunlight exposure?
    For example, how would the animal's physiology "know" to produce a thicker winter fur coat?
    The animal can not consciously control the coat thickness, correct?
    How does the body know to tan at the beach?
    Evolutionary scientists will tell you the trait was a random mutation that was selected for.
    Just like snake-headed moths, stick bugs, dead horse arums, leaf bugs, etc.
    No intention, nothing driving it, simple random mutations.

Scientists tend to shriek when people start looking for the "why's" behind evolution. As I aid, I think it is because they are afraid people will answer, "God".
    I don't think "God" is an answer, but I think there is certainly more to it than random mutations.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

I like to say: "My body is smarter than all the doctors." My father was one and even thought I did think him smart, this may have somethng to do with my view and the answer to your questions.

Think about fact that normally you temperature is 37C, despite many external variables and some internal ones (nothing eaten for days, five well chilled beers etc.)

My point was (and is) the body is amazingly clever (homeostasis - I think is the sophisticated term for what I am stressing) and generally does better at taking care of itself than you do, especially better without any help form "conscious you."

For example, you cannot even become aware if you try, but it is regulating the mineral content of your blood, taking Ca from your bones if more badly needed elsewhere etc. A little thing like getting tan under the sun does not even require use of the "spinal cord brain" to produce the servo-control increase in melatonin - that is local and mainly skin deep!

8. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Well, it's possible that that is a form of a very low level consciousness.
    Just like heliotropism is a form of some plant consciousness.

Can that concept be expanded to a whole planet? I don't think so, but over all I do not know.

9. URI IMU Registered Senior Member

>> Scientists tend to shriek when people start looking for the "why's" behind evolution. >>

All the ho-ha claims by scientists that evolution is scientific, does not make evolution scientific.

Evolution can not be proved or disproved, it has never been observed and it never will be. It is just a silly assertion......

It is a very simplistic notion drawn from gross morphological observations

The idea was coined a long time ago when the "scientific" subject called biochemistry was unknown.

Biochemistry has blown evolution out of the water, and yet some "biologists" keep evolution as a concept.... and science can't disprove "evolution" so it stays.......

saying, "that butterfly 'knew' it needed these UV markings so it could attract a mate..... or ..."

Just total BS and not believable, if you know the biological sciences that are well founded today.

The argument of "intelligent design" that organs are too complex to have 'evolved' is also total BS........

The whole of LIFE is to complex. The real complexity are in the trillions of chemical interactions that not only produce complex structures but also allow intelligence and stability.....

PS.... life is an english word.... meaning something
    LIFE is a concept name, it depicts the total of all living things (on this planet in this case)... I give the name LIFE to depict the total super-organism growing on this planet... which is just one[/] organism, not many as we think we see it.

10. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

It has been observed.

11. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Evolution is as proved as any good theory, some aspects of it are unclear, but the general picture is observable.

But spuriousmonkey is one of the best in this forum to know (and presumably explain) these things, so I better retreat to my studies for tomorrow's test.

12. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Go to pubmed and type in 'evolution' if you are a seeker of proof.

13. URI IMU Registered Senior Member

All of the recent posters are totally out of touch with what science considers "proved" or not.

Evolution is only an assertion, with absolutely no proof that what is observed is caused by evolution.

On the contrary, biochemistry blows evolution out of the water.... biochemistry is NOT a random step by step process........ it is STRICT process that obeys the same rules from one species to another.

You wish to claim morphological change is the most important..... it is just a "meaningless" expression of the DNA. What actually is expressed from the DNA is controlled by biochemical processes, so what is expressed is what is needed for the next step in clean up (environmental detoxification.... or maintenance of the web of LIFE). This is not accidental.

Better stop looking at the obvious, and start seeing the truth. Science is seldom obvious.

just get over it.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2005
  14. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

I actually published proof on evolution myself.

So i think you are out of touch.

15. URI IMU Registered Senior Member

>> I actually published proof on evolution myself.

OH, first ever then..

where ?

16. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

In 'development'.

17. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

I'm going to take your bait.

I typed 'evolution' on pubmed and I took a paper from the first page of search results.

What's wrong with this paper?

Science. 2005 Oct 21;310(5747):502-4. Assortative mating as a mechanism for rapid evolution of a migratory divide.

Bearhop S, Fiedler W, Furness RW, Votier SC, Waldron S, Newton J, Bowen GJ, Berthold P, Farnsworth K.

18. URI IMU Registered Senior Member

>> have hindered investigation of the mechanisms behind migratory change.

no bait mate, there is just no evidence, spuriousmonkey. Observations are a part of science but by themselves have no weight.

Evolution is an "explanation" that is used today to make humans seem like they caused all the changes necessary to make themselves !!! .... clever arn't we ?????????????

The truth is humans are totally expendable.... and humans are not even in control of themselves.... LIFE is in control.

LOL, silly humans.

What a trade....
    God made us special by creational design, [religion]
    to.. God conceived us special and he loves us, but we made ourselves [Evolution]

to God made the seeds of LIFE and it grew....... humans are an add on with little meaning...

19. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Congrats...you ended up on my ignore list.

20. URI IMU Registered Senior Member

>> Congrats...you ended up on my ignore list.

you are welcome... one less to sift through, eh.