Cars Of The Future!

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by ElectricFetus, Jan 20, 2003.

?

What will Power Cars of the future

1. Gasoline... still!

4 vote(s)
    36.4%
  2. Methenol/Ethenol

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  3. Hydrogen

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  4. Hydrogen from other sources

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  5. Batteries

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  6. Electric rails

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Fly wheels

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Fusion?

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Lets see if I can get this poll right this time!

What will power cars by 2030? let have some reasonable answer here.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2003
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. hlreed Registered Senior Member

How about fuel cells?
    Use hydrogen or methanol or gasoline
    All provide electricity.
    Hydrogen emits water
    methanol emit carbon dioxide
    gasoline emits carbon dioxide and other oxides.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

How far into the future? 1 year? 10 years? 100 years?

:m: Peace.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Je lets see 2030 subtract 2003 equals your answer there goofyfish.

8. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

Yup. Imadoofus!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

I like Methenol/Ethenol because it would require no drastic changes... in fact we are adding these in to gasoline as it is. If we made are Methenol/Ethenol from plants then we would have zero long term CO2 pollution because the plants would act as a recycling system. All the CO2 we produce from this fuel would be recycled by plants and would make are fuel and repeat...
    The problem with Methenol/Ethenol is that to make it cost more then pumping up gas, so Methenol/Ethenol prices of the future will be much higher then gas prices are now (inflation removed).

When I said Hydrogen I meant fuel cells since that is what they run off. Hydrogen made from other sources then water is not very efficient and you might as well burn that "other source" in a normal combustion engine. Hydrogen made form water would be totally clean but again making hydrogen cost more then making gasoline and fuel prices will be higher. This is were the advantage of fuels cells power by pure hydrogen gas come in. A fuel cell powered car would be twice to three times as efficient as a normal combustion engine so the high fuel prices is render null by the high efficiency. The problem is how do we store pure hydrogen in a car? We would also have to change car designs and gas stations.

By the mid 2020’s world oil demand will out run maximum possible world oil production. So gas prices will have to go up and it will then become cheaper to make Methenol/Ethenol and hydrogen rather then pump up oil and refine it. My bet is on Methenol/Ethenol since it would be so easy to convert all we need to do is start adding it to our gasoline and buy a car with a slightly turned or smart tuning engine. Though a major break through in hydrogen storage could change all that

10. NenarTronian Teenaged Transhumanist Registered Senior Member

27/26 years...hm, i predict we are still an oil-dependent economy..

11. nobody200071 Registered Member

its not the fact that we are an oil-dependent economy, its the fact that we are an economy, as long as we allow money to rule societies, we are destined to remain an oil-based world.

"I just created the first perpetual motion generator!!"
    "You did? but think of what that'll do to the market!"

12. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

New energy sources can make new economies we just got to be willing to do it, oh ya that right people are lazy and stupid yaaa we are @#$%ed BIG TIME!!!

13. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

Still oil dependent. We're probably going to be oil dependent until we run out of oil.

14. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Which is projected to be mid 2020s. Hey they made the same projections that the USofA would not be able to support its on demand for oil by early 1970s and they were right! What they were wrong about was that the US was not going to switch to new and better sources but would buy and steal oil from other counties instead!

15. Balder1 Registered Senior Member

Oil dependent?

How could so many people think that we would still be dependent on oil? There's pessimistic and then there's just plain unrealistic. I'd say most people will be using those fuel cells by 2010. People are driving them right now, and their only byproduct is water, apparently. To be honest, they are more into making hybrid fuel cell/gasoline ones right now, but both are around.

Discounting that far-out singularity theory, maybe we'll be using some sort of battery that recharges very fast, or something. I'm confident that cars of 2030 won't need to go to a "gas station", but I'm not sure on the whole mechanics. Maybe fusion... thirty years is a long time, especially considering the speed that our scientific developments are increasing at.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.