Hate crimes against Muslims in U.S. on rise !

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Proud_Muslim, May 5, 2004.

1. Proud_Muslim Shield of Islam Registered Senior Member

Hate crimes against Muslims in U.S. on rise

Civil rights group reports doubling over past year; 40 incidents documented in Md.

Two teen-agers lit a small cross on fire last July on the lawn of an Islamic school and mosque in College Park. That act was among more than a thousand reported incidents of harassment, violence and discrimination against Muslims across America in the past year -- an increase of nearly 70 percent over 2002 -- according to the nation's largest Muslim civil rights group.

Hate crimes against Muslims more than doubled in the past year from 42 to 93, according to a report released today by the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR). At the same time, overall complaints of harassment, violence and discrimination leapt from 602 to 1,019, CAIR said.

Maryland accounted for 40 of those cases.

The report attributed the overall increase in reported incidents to a lingering atmosphere of fear from the 9/11 attacks, hostility driven by pro-Iraq war rhetoric, what CAIR called abuse of the Patriot Act and an increase in CAIR offices nationwide.

"It shows that there is a growing problem here and that it's getting worse and worse," said Mohamed Nimer, CAIR's director of research and the author of the report, Unpatriotic Acts.

"It boils down to a logic of prejudice that is holding Muslims -- because of real or perceived religious and ethnic background -- responsible for whatever other Muslims do."

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/na...,3586234.story?coll=bal-nationworld-headlines

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Proud_Muslim Shield of Islam Registered Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. buffys Registered Loser Registered Senior Member

and kidnappings and other hostile acts toward "western" non combatants in Iraq are on the rise. It's hardly limited to America, people generally act like asses during war time. I know this is a pointless question but can you even pretend to have a tiny bit of objectivity?

Both sides in this conflict has its fair share of bastards, don't act like this nonsense is only happening in the west.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

so????????

8. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

All you prove is that there are stupid people everywhere.

9. buffys Registered Loser Registered Senior Member

yeah, that WAS my point.

10. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

What do you think needs to be done about this, Proud_Muslim? What's the best way to reduce these hate crimes, in your opinion?

11. buffys Registered Loser Registered Senior Member

kill everyone on earth, problem solved.

12. Q25 Registered Senior Member

maybe so,
    but you(Muslims) started!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

13. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

If everytime someone cussed at someone because they were angry at something and those they cussed at were Muslim, would they be part of the hate crimes? I think that everywhere people have hate against someone or something and they vent their anger at those who they precieve to be the ones causing them their hatered. It is those that have the hate inside of them that must let go in order to "see" the realality of their self hate. One cannot be hateful if one cannot find haye inside.

14. Repo Man Valued Senior Member

Proud Muslim is a leading cause of hate crimes.

15. ddovala Pi is exactly 3 Registered Senior Member

I have yet to see PM post about hate crimes BY muslims on other people. Objectivity is not in his vocabulary

16. Proud_Muslim Shield of Islam Registered Senior Member

Education and fair media coverage in the states.

17. buffys Registered Loser Registered Senior Member

The American media is bias crap for the most part but at least in the US people can access to any media outlet they chose, from any part of the world they chose. Education as well, the US is far from the best but at least they have an education system as opposed to sunday schools posing as places of learning.

I could write a book on all the things I think are wrong with america but, though the education and media are FAR from perfect, they out class the majority of muslim countries in those areas by a huge margin. Hell, even Aljazeera is modeled on american media outlets (CNN to be specific).

Where does the upperclass send their children to be educated? the west. where do they get the majority of their information? western media. Like I said, there's a lot to complain about, you just picked the ones in which the muslim countries are even worse.

18. Proud_Muslim Shield of Islam Registered Senior Member

I think you are so minsinformed, some muslim societies have more access to information than the Americans themselves, in Syria for example, nearly every household has Satellite TV in which hundreds of channels can be seen and viewed.

The American public is very ignorant about world affairs, they dont know anything about the outside world apart from what their crapy media feeds them.

http://www.theunjustmedia.com/

19. buffys Registered Loser Registered Senior Member

I said most muslim countries, Syria is a small place. You know as well as I do it's the exception not the rule. On a per capita level, comparing muslim and western countries, it isn't even close.

20. Proud_Muslim Shield of Islam Registered Senior Member

Well, illetracy rates in the west are great indication of what I just said:

Literacy Levels Low In Developed Countries

A new survey of the United States and 11 other countries in the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) found that literacy levels are low in these developed industrial nations.

The survey concluded that between one quarter and three quarters of adults ages 16 to 65 in all these countries have only minimum skills for coping with the complex demands of modern life and work. The survey report says a person at minimum skill level should at least be able to complete a job application, read a bus schedule and balance a checkbook.

http://www.ncpa.org/pi/edu/dec97e.html

21. buffys Registered Loser Registered Senior Member

you're missing the point, I acknowledged everything you've said in my first statement. There is no argument here.

But, taking all that into account, it's still higher per capita than the majority of muslim countries and by a huge margin.

22. path Militant wiseguy Registered Senior Member

23. Proud_Muslim Shield of Islam Registered Senior Member

Well, century of western colonization to most of the muslim countries has a lot to do with this.

But there is no excuse for your illetracy rates !

Anyway, back to the topic...since you are one of those haters who contribute to this islamophobic trend, can you tell us what is the best way to counter your hate ?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!