a lil question

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by Baal Zebul, Jun 30, 2004.

1. Baal Zebul Somewhat Registered User Registered Senior Member

A sphere (a ball, etc a soccer ball)

How to calculate the spin of it?
    Yaw, Pitch and Roll i guess calculate that, right?
    Then the material of the ground/floor is also an integer in this calculation.
    And direction will also be in that calculation too.

My quesion is if anyone with programming skills were interested to assist with this math for an AI project.
    If you are interested then mail me at svenssonrikard@spray.se

If i have put this in the wrong place then i trust that the moderators can undo my damage swiftly.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Baal Zebul Somewhat Registered User Registered Senior Member

possibly you could also assist the programmers to make the math digital.

There are more formulas that we need assistance with later but this is one of the few that is "logical", the others will get a little abstract so we will require someone with large knowledge. Preferebly 30+

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

What in particular do you want to calculate? When you say "the spin", do you mean the numerical magnitude of the angular momentum, or something else?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Baal Zebul Somewhat Registered User Registered Senior Member

okey,

we are creating a soccer game were we place 22 ALF's with our AI technology. They are initiated only with basic parameters.
    Parameters are physical value's and rules. (Etc, Empirical Parameter is set to a default 3. Whilst Gravity Parameter is 9.81 m2/s. The latter parameter is the same as in the human world 1 G = 9.81 m2/s (correct me if i am wrong))
    The ALF's will know No rules, they will not know how to kick the ball. Their aim will be out of focus and most of their perception of force will be inaccurate.
    Harm is another parameter. Combining it with the Aim parameter the ALF can tackle and so on.

The ALF's will not be able to communicate in any way (besides seeing eachother) so it will be possible for some to evolve a defesive game style and for some to be more aggresive players.

The fun thing is that the ALF's will not only learn from their own misstakes, they will also learn from others.

ALF = Artificial Lifeform

What we really need is only the formula for calculating the spin of the ball.
    I am not talking about the angle it is moving, nor the distance from point A to estimated point B. I am talking about a formula for calculating if the ball is spinning clockwise or counterclockwise (in lack of better words)
    I thought people would grasp my question.

Please, tell me if i am still vauge in my explenations

8. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Which way the ball spins depends on where it is pushed, as well as whether it is in contact with the ground or not.

If the ball is on the ground, the spin is relatively easy to work out. If the radius of the ball is r, then for every 2 pi r metres it travels along the ground it must rotate once.

When the ball is kicked, the particular point of contact determines the spin, along with how hard it is kicked. The rate of change of spin is equal to the torque provided by the kick, which can be expressed mathematically as

dL/dt = RF sin(angle)

where R is the radius of the ball, L is its spin, F is the force of the kick, and the angle is the angle between a line drawn from the centre of the ball to the point where the boot makes contact, and the direction of kick.

Hope this helps!

9. Baal Zebul Somewhat Registered User Registered Senior Member

well, any help i can get i am gratefull for.

The problem is not that trivial. The AI is parameter based and since i do not share the other AI communites belifes that you can give the AI all the information that it needs well, we cannot give it the math formula. Cause then it would be pre-programmed.

Parameter: Yaw
    Visual NN Threshold: 1 rotation/s
    Parameter: Pitch
    Parameter: Roll

That is what i have in mine.
    If the Visual Imaginiation sets up a imagination based on two previous pictures where it has seen these 3 parameters then it can follow the ball's movement and determine where to intercept it. It will also calculate if someone will beat it to the ball, if it can shoot when getting to the ball or if there are too many obsticles (opposite team players) in the way.

What i really need to know, is it possible to calculate the pitch, yaw, roll in the manner as i explained it.
    Etc, a fast rolling ball might have 3.5 in roll, 0.5 in picth and 1.0 yaw.
    Then the X, Y, Z coordinates willl be calculated seperatly accordingly to the results produced by those parameters.
    It will then check wind strength, ground (bumps/indents), ground texture (thick grass?) and so on.

Is this feasible ?

10. Baal Zebul Somewhat Registered User Registered Senior Member

Please correct me if i am wrong. But is not actually the "spin" complete with the function of yaw, pitch and roll?

Is not pitch and yaw the roll (in directions) whilst roll is the true spin of the ball ?

I think it is and that is all i need really. To see how it is spining.

11. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

You can do it like that if you want to. All you're doing is splitting the motion about the actual rotational axis of the ball into components about three specific fixes axes. There's no particular problem with that.

12. Baal Zebul Somewhat Registered User Registered Senior Member

thank you, because that makes the problem so much easier.