How many times have you been ripped off?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by lixluke, Dec 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

I've been ripped off by the following:

Sprint - Ripped me off big time in a number of ways that would take me forever to explain.

Discover Card - Overcharged me.

Florida Atlantic University - Ripped me off big time in a number of ways that would take me forever to explain.

Circuit City - Convinced me on numerous occasions to purchase an item that was going out of date.

Border's - Followed me around the store on numerous occasions. One time those racists threw me out claiming "We've had a number of items stolen."

Workforce - Lied to me about how much I would be getting paid. Then deducted fees from my paycheck on top of that without telling me they were going to do that. Over half of the companies I worked for cheated me in one way or another out of my proper pay.

Chevrolet - I told them I wanted a car with certain features. I paid them, and when the car came in, it was missing a bunch of features. They tried to say I never ordered them.

Miami Dade Police - I was seriously verbally abusing a racist police officer which is perfctly legal. He was looking for an excuse to arrest me, but I was completely clean. No drugs/alcohol etc. Finally, he makes up a charge, and throws me in jail. After almost three days in jail, I see the judge. The guard tells me if I plead innocent, the judge will make me stay in jail for two more weeks to wait for trial. So I plead no contest. The judge finds me guilty to an obviously fake charge. I stayed three days in jail, and had to pay $200 to take a 5 hour course for a crime that I didn't commit.

Cotillion Investments - Purchased the building I was living in. I left my apartment for five hours, and they robbed everything inside it claiming that I do not live there. Everything was stolen from me. They gutted the apartment out, and told the police to arrest me if I go there claiming I do not live there. Of course I was paying my rent to the old landlord, and all the electric/DSL bills were in my name. The police were so crooked they refused to look for my things that the new landlord robbed because the he claimed I took them out of the apartment.

Psychiatrists - I have been seeing psychiatrists since I was young because of my chronic fatigue. I've never met a psychiatrist/therapist that was actually intelligent and knew what they were doing. Same with chiropractors.

Lawyer - I was in a car accident. When I hired the lawyer, he told me that he will charge me 33% and no extra hidden fees. The lawyer charge me 33%, and about $1500 in extra fees on top of it.

Traffic Lawyer - Claimed he would take care of this big traffic ticket that I got if I paid him $70. He didn't, and I ended up in the same situation that I would have if I had handled it myself. Except I lost $70 on top of it.

Washington Mutual Bank - Ripped me off big time in a number of ways that would take me forever to explain.

Broward CDC - Ripped me off big time in a number of ways that would take me forever to explain.

Homeless Shelter - Staff is brainless, oncompetent, and treat people like crap.

EDIT: Northwest Airlines - Ripped me off big time in a number of ways that would take me forever to explain.

Those are just a few times in an endless list of being ripped off, taken advantage of, given a hard time, receiving crappy treatment, dealing with incompetence, and getting screwed.

People wonder why I hate America's guts so much. Why do I feel like I have been molested by society. I am a social-rape victim that has been seriously abused, torn apart, and spit on.

Should I blame an employee for taking a job, and sitting there doing nothing instead of helping the customer? Of course not. He took the job for the money, and doesn't stress himself out by taking it seriously. He probably gets paid crap anyway. The blame can only go to America and the mob mentality population that support America.

Fuck America. Who's with me?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2004
  2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

I am.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

It sounded like you were racially discriminated.... So... what are you (in terms of race, of course)?

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Btw.... I've been ripped off a lot too...
    Not much by companies as much as by people....
    Delta airlines once put me on a smoking plane when I was about 15 years old. I had to stay more than 9 hours breathing all that smoke. Sick bastards....

I'm happy they are going bankrupt....

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

The number of times you've been ripped off doesn't matter so much as the total value (monetary or otherwise) of all the ripoffs. A couple of really big ones can outweigh a whole lifetime of annoying little stuff. My biggest ripoff was a local government that convinced a lot of its employees to cash out of our retirement funds and migrate to one that was much cheaper for them. It was in the early 1980s when the markets were hot, and they convinced us that we could invest our own money more wisely. Government workers! People who spent their entire lives letting somebody else make their decisions! As a result, I'm now 61 and we still don't have enough assets and pensions to retire on. I may have to work till I'm 70 and still live a pretty frugal life.

Second biggest was two friends of mine who ran a small consulting firm and offered to bail me out of my boring, unfulfilling, but high-paying government job for an exciting and promising career in the private sector, starting out with a 40 percent pay cut, of course. Turns out they just wanted to boost their revenue for one year and then sell the company off to a corporation. Who kept us all for one year and then laid us all off. I was unemployed for an entire year looking for work with a resume full of civil service.

This stuff didn't just piss me off or make me feel bad, it literally ruined my life and my wife's.
    Phone companies suck. If you take detailed notes, they have recordings of every phone conversation. So if they know you're telling the truth they usually cave in.
    The financial sector, the most dastardly of all.
    They sold us a floor model with a full warranty. But we had to go to the manufacturer first. They were going out of business and it took six months to settle that. By then Circuit City said the product was out of warranty. We just don't shop there any more.
    Being the victim of racism is indescribably evil. I've always preferred Barnes and Noble and now I think I'll try to avoid Border's entirely.
    Well, you've read my workplace experiences. I think they trump everybody's.
    That's so typical of car dealers, it almost doesn't count. Sorry to sound so hard-hearted, but these are things we all have to learn.
    Yes, Florida has made a pretty bad name for itself.
    Let me guess: This also happened in Florida? Or perhaps New Orleans? Chicago?
    A tip to everyone: Psychiatrists, by definition, are MDs. Medical school is the only place left in the whole world that still teaches Freud. His entire philosophy can be summed up in four words: "Bloom where you're planted." If you want a therapist, find a Jungian, and he will have a PhD in psychology or something like that, not an MD. Jung is to Freud as this computer is to a 1401.
    No surprise. I have a friend who actually is an honest lawyer. His slogan is, "It's a shame that 99 percent of the lawyers give all of us a bad name.
    There's the financial sector again. They are simply above the law and totally amoral.
    It's rather common for people who work with a certain type of people day in and day out to eventually become like them. I knew people who worked on the psychiatric ward of a hospital and they began to act crazy.
    It's been suggested that life in America is one long test. You have to learn the rules, then learn how to break the rules the right way and learn to avoid having other rule-breakers take advantage of you. Look at the income tax code, or a welfare application. Honest people can't possibly get a break with those systems, they're geared toward people who can work the "angles."
    I've suggested another explanation. Most of us learn to navigate the system. It's like a constant IQ test.
    I get as pissed off as the next American, but I'm not ready to emigrate because I honestly have not found another country that has a better mix of culture, economy, weather, and security. Australia comes close for us guys, but most American women couldn't stand a week there, and besides they make it very difficult to even get in unless you're rich and don't intend to take one of their jobs. Western Europe is nice, but it's about to undergo an Islamic revolution. Eastern Europe is nice, but it's evolving an economy and culture that probably won't be much different from ours, if not even tougher. Scandinavia is simply too cold for a Californian. Canada is America Lite. England looks pretty nice from the outside, but no one I know who lives there ever recommends coming over. Guess I'll stay here. California is rather nice, come to think of it.

8. vslayer Registered Senior Member

canada or new zealand, both have similar policies in their govenments(except canada has better health care), both are a nice blend of worldwide cultures and a reliable economy(canada is worth slightly more than nz, about 15%) and im not sure about canada but immigration laws in NZ are extremely relaxed.

plus the obvious benefits that come from living in pacifist countries guaranteed protection by al-qaeda

9. gendanken Ruler of All the Lands Valued Senior Member

Cool Skill:
    Got a job right?
    Money in your pockets.
    Food in your fridge and a pc for you to spread your inanity.

You've never starved, never been prostituted, branded, or sold.
    You being a man of color, your ancestors would look on you and think you're a whining piece of shit with too much on your plate.

And don't give anyone this story about being 'falsely' incarcerated, you copped an attitude with a cop thinking him 'racist' and got what you asked for, you angery little brown man.
    That's what your problem is, inferiority complexes thinking the world is out to get you when its practically there at your feet.
    An ungracious pig you are, angry at the world and incompetent.

Speaking of which-
    That's incompetent, you incompetent.

10. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

Just because you have food, some money, and internet doesn't mean you are not being ripped off left and right. I live with the stress of all the trauma I have experienced. No matter where I turn, I'm being ripped off.

I verbally abused a racist police officer. I don't know what you are presuming when you say that I was "thinking him racist". He was racist. I did nothing illegal. He did make something up that wasn't true because he couldn't find anything that I had done wrong. What are you getting at?
    Do you think it's ok for a police officer to harrass people?
    Then, make something up, and throw an individual in jail?

You have a point that I think the world is out to get us when it is practically at our feet.
    What did you expect?
    I get abused by these organizations/individuals, and there is nothing I can do about it.
    I do not have the freedom to freely do whatever I want to do without these bullies taking advantage of me.

"That's incompetent, you incompetent."
    As if you have perfect spelling.
    Anybody that attacks another user for spelling is obviously incapable of proving their point. So I speld a wrd rong. What's that supposed to prove?

11. gendanken Ruler of All the Lands Valued Senior Member

Cool:
    But you are making it as if you are the only human on this planet that has experienced this, and it makes you a blood curling whino.

I understand how you'd feel victimized if , say, he pulled you over for no reason.

But a victim who spends half his life feeling ostracized or singled out or some other choice word the martyr has in his dictionary tends to make a situation worse by his assumptions.

You can't even look at someone the wrong way who simply assumes you're a bigot.
    You're a walking hornet's nest is what I'm saying- who wouldn't put you in jail?
    I just pictured Colin Powell wasting his youth angry with the system- know where he'd end up?
    On a forum some Thursday morning working on a post titled

" How many times have you been ripped off? "

That I'm constipated.

12. Closet Philosopher Off to Laurentian University Registered Senior Member

Verbal abuse is technically a crime depending on what you specifically said. I could voice my opinion about what I think about gendanken's and Cool Skill's opinions but I've already pissed someone off yesterday (you should have seen the Fs flying around the room that day) over something frivilous. I have a feeling that cauding argument over the internet can sometimes be rewarding but can also be a horrible waste of time. Time is precious.

Anyway, in my youth (well, compared to Cool Skill) I have not been on this earth long enough to get ripped off too much but I'll post a few:

eBay - Need I say more?

My Bank - I signed up for a "no service charge plan". I knew it was too good to be true.

Shady Accomplices (Or Pharmacists, as they like to be called) - I guess getting ripped off in that buisness is expected. I know I shouldn't really be involved in this sort of thing but what the hell, I may as well enjoy this time within reason.

Radio Shack - My really awesome $70 headphones stopped working all of a sudden and they were still under the 1 year warranty so I brought them back. They determined that the product was broken by not being taken care of. I meticulously take care of my things, especially technology so it really pissed me off. I ended up fixing the headphones with a solder gun that I borrowed from the school that blew a breaker in my house which I had to pay for. I laugh about it now though. A sense of humor can carry you joyfiully through life instead of bitching at everything. Besides, all other experiences with Radio Shack have been good ones.

MP3 player from Staples - I bought it just before ID3 tagging became affordable because they convinced me that affordable ID3 tagging would be three or four years away. It came out a month later. I'm not that upset though because I sold it to someone I really didn't like for $50 more than the original retail price. I was a lot younger at that time, it's not in my nature to fuck someone over like that anymore unless I really hated them.

Used guitar store - My first guitar that I had saved all of my money for to buy was a piece of shit.

School - There are always people (usually one or two since I'm a generally likeable person) that will target certain weaknesses. I goe really screwed over once on a high school sports team. I actually walked by this person today at a local hockey game, we shared a awkward gaze.

Lexmark - I always get sucked into buying chear lexmark "photo" printers. Everytime I buy one, it goes out of alignment and makes every pisture look like shite even if I align it perfectly. Then the replacement ink costs twice as much as the original printer itself. I usually chuck (literally) the printer into the garbage bin that sits below my porch and happily watch it smash into pieces.

I could go on and on and on but I will forget a lot of this stuff anyway. I'm going to take the extra step and tell you guys about a few positive things that have happened to me in the last month.

Injury - I have a serious knee injury at the moment and I am unable to play any sports. I finally got into surgery that is schduled for January.

Report Card - I will get into University without any problem, it's a lot of stress gone.

Understanding - I met someone yesterday (I have known who the person is for a long time and have interacted with them but this is the first time I have actually met her). Ahe was so full of knowledge and understanding and she backed up some of my thoughts about my situation right now, she also made me feel comforted and happy maybe without even knowing it. I may elaborate on this later.

Philosophy - I looked into someone's eyes and it changed my life. I am curently writing a paper for class about this. I haven't decided if I will post it or not.

Weight - I've lost 30 pounds and am still going strong. I feel and look great!

Work - I have been getting along well with most of my co-workers. It was difficult to fit in at first because most of them were significantly older than I am but our recent staff party (rent a cottage in the middle of nowhere and get drunk kind of deal) broke the ice. I also got a raise!

Organization - A quality which I lacked for many years is finally improving. I may even be considered a perfectionist (well, I wouldn't stretch it that far).

I could also go on and on and on about this too but I will leave it at that for now.

13. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Ilikesalt...Ilikeyouridea

Positive shit happening in my life

Health - I took a dump today....feel good.

Love - Got rejected by a girl who I, unknowst to me, apprently love (my reaction towards her fits every requirement of that notorious fucker of a emotion...sadly enough).....learned something about myself...always a good thing in retrospect. Is it love though?..I doubt it..sure feels as stupid though.

Money - Got fucked over and had to spend more money for pointless reasons today.....learned not to be a lazy fuck from now on.

Celebrity sightings - Saw Dave Attell pass by me...looks just like on T.V.

General welfare - Didn't get robbed or arrested yet again...always a good thing in retrospect.

Emotional balance - Everything felt like a monstrous challenge again today.....felt like I never get it easy unlike other people and seemingly have to fight for the easiest things....then I saw a man begging for a quarter in the cold weather with a coat that smelled like death....everything still felt like a challenge but I had sudden strength to fight it.

Narcotics and such - Didn't get suckered into trying weed or LSD.....good thing in retrospect I guess.

Anger management - Didn't punch anyone in the face today for using the word "like" 10 times in a 5 word sentence.....a good thing in retrospect.

Phew... I feel better...lets dance.

14. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

Cool skill,

Everytime you try to impose justice on the world, it results in an injustice someplace else.

My best memories of being fucked over happend back in school- early elementary mostly. I used to be one of 'nice' kids up until about 4-5 years ago.

Back in grade 2, my first girlfriend fell off the playground, broke her arm and accused ME of pushing her off (even though I was at least 5 feet away at the time). All of the teachers believed her before I could even get a word out in defense. After all, why would she lie? I found out later they had told my parents I'd grow up to be a criminal...

It tought me a good lesson about trust.

Assignments that I had put HUGE effort and pride into were marked carelessly. Other assignments, which I deserved to fail we're given heaps of praise.

I was betrayed by certain 'friends' in the most callous ways.

Hell, I was even ripped off in SUPERSTORE at the age of 8 for a package of gum.

Maybe it was the hormones, but eventually I cracked into a bit of a bad ass. If I could impose justice on the world- which I'd love to do- it would only end up fucking someone else over. And why? Because humans are stupid creatures that can't be held responsible for their actions. Being stupid, selfish and shortsighted comes as naturally as taking a piss, breathing or sleeping. Animalistic compulsions.

There are limited resources in the world. Your kind of suffering is universal. Either adapt or continue to be fucked over.

15. an>roid.v2 Registered Senior Member

got crushed aspirin (on a shuffling street) instead of coke -- my evening was crushed

seriously tho'
    being ripped-off is the rudest intrusion

16. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

A sense of humor can carry you joyfiully through life instead of bitching at everything.

How so?
    Do you actually expect people to be happy about getting ripped off?

17. Combine Back from the Dead!!!!! Registered Senior Member

ebay rips people off every day 1 in 30 users there get ripped off once in their time there.

18. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Hey dude. This is the frelling internet here. We get no body language, no facial expressions, no tone of voice, no gestures. We don't even get to see how you dress or whether you're typing with a beloved pet in your lap.

That deprives us of about 75 percent of the carrier wave of human communication. Sure, it's the band with the smallest bandwidth, but that bandwidth is important. It tells us what kind of member you are of this community, whether we can let our guard down and trust you, whether we'd be comfortable asking you for advice, etc. All we have left to go on is your keystrokes.

I understand that posting here is not on the same level as writing a graduate thesis, and that there's a point of diminishing returns for an obsession with proofreading such as the one I have.

But you must understand that if you make someone angry, they can't get back at you by dissing your ugly shirt or your unkempt hairdo or your funny-looking dog or your habit of cracking your knuckles. All they can diss is what they see: the message, the choice of words, the spelling, composition, and punctuation.

I repeat: This is the internet.

19. ScRaMbLe Chaos Inc. Registered Senior Member

The Dalai Lama teaches that we should treasure our enemies as the rarest of gifts, for only through them can we learn the patience and tolerance to become a stronger person.

My jury's still out on that one.

20. Closet Philosopher Off to Laurentian University Registered Senior Member

To put it simply, NO.
    But enjoying being ripped off and laughing about it are two totally different matters. I think that if one is capable of laughing at themselves, shrugging things off and learning from each negative experience then they will be a much happier person.
    I posted instances where I got ripped off as well as recent positive experiences. Also, I could point out recent deals that I got while doing my anual Christmas shopping. For every time we get ripped off, we get a deal. I saved $150 buying something off of the net instead of at a local store. My negative eBay experience only cost me $20. So the deals and well... the anti-deals even out in the end. Positive thinking used to be a negative cliche to me but now I realise the power.
    At the moment, my life is not on a high point. Over the past few years, I built up a good circle of friends, decent marks in school, talents such as music, character, maturity and much more. All of a sudden, we all had to part our ways, many of my best friends ventured south to get higher education while I stayed behind to get the necessary credits to pursue a Science career and figure out what I would want to spend $12 000 a year learning about.
    I went to the awful local high school which has a group of about 8 people who have been so tightly knit since Junior-Kindergarten that they not only didn't accept me but they were in fact rude to me.
    I also feel like my brain is melting because with my old group of buddies, we could sit around a table and have insightful discussion and debate, enjoy eachother's company and then have a few drinks afterward. We were st least somewhat intellectual. In my present situation, I have not heard a discussion with any kind of insight since September when I started!
    I told this to someone on the staff who I think I can trust. She told me that It's not that the discussion is happening and I'm not a part of it, it's that it's just now happening and that I wouldn't want to be friends with them anyway.
    Oh, for a little aside, you may find the following discussion which I overheard that was going on between my peers (I have to accept the fact that they are peers) I'll change the names since I think there may be someone that knows these poeple on this forum (mainly a cesspool poster). Anyway, here is is:
    Joan: Hey, Carly!
    Carly: What?
    Joan: I think you gave me this pencil like least year!
    Carly: Oh my God, that's so cool! Hey Brian, I like gave that pencil to Joan like last year!
    Brian: Sweet!
    By the way, this is a genuine interest going on here
    Joan: So, like There is a bite mark from like last year too.
    Brian & Carly in amazement: cool!
    Carly: that's old
    Joan: Hey, ILikeSalt.
    ILikeSalt: Yes?
    Joan: Carly gave me this pencil like last year!
    ILikeSaltin an inevitable awkward tone: Umm, well... so...?
    Joan: Fuck you, no wonder why everybody hates you!
    ILikeSalt: Because I don't care about inane statements?
    Joan puzzled: Umm, Fuck you bitch! *storms out of the room*
    Biran and Carly follow

Instead of getting upset at this little outburst of anger directed at me for no good reason (at least in my mind), I laughed. If I would take these now almost daily occurrences seriously, then I may be dead. I don't think that it was a good thing that it happened but I have to make the best of it. Next time, I may give a response that is more of a crowd-pleaser or not say what I had said. Laugh things off. Be happier. Live better.

I see I've been ranting again

. Well, since I've gone this far (or dug this deep depending on how you look at it), I will share another hilarious happening at school:

It's third period English. Since no one finished their work and bitched about it enough, the teacher had thrown her hands in the air and got us a work period. ILikeSalt had finished her homework though and all of her work in her other classes too. ILikeSalt finishes reading a shory story by Stephen King and then looks around for something to do. She remebers that when some of her peers are bored, they will draw on the chalkboard. She picks up the chalk and starts drawing a flower
    Carly sitting in the back row of the shallow classroom: Umm, ILikeSalt, you can't draw on the chalkboard.
    ILikeSalt perhaps in too much of a jovial manner: Why not, Carly?
    Carly: Well, like I'm allergic to chalk, you see and if you draw on the board, I can have a reaction.
    ILikeSalt sets down chalk (by the way, I probably shouldn't have said this, I wasn't trying to cause a fight, but I couldn't help it since I love a good debate, maybe I was subconsciously looking for a good debate): Your argument is flawed.
    Carly: Why?
    ILikeSalt: You sit in the same places every day whil teachers do chalkboards and chalkboards full of notes and erase them. THen the guys will sometimes have fights with the dirty brishes making clouds of chalk dust and I have never seen you complain once.
    Carly: You're such a bitch, do you want me to have a reaction?
    ILikeSalt: No and No. I put away the chalk but I'm asking why you asked me to do it.
    Carly: Because I can have a fucking reaction!
    ILikeSalt: I've never seen you have a reaction before with much much worse than this.
    Carly: Fuck you, you want me to die don't you. If you don't care about me then I'll leave.
    ILikeSalt: Actually, you can stay here, I'll leave so I can get as far away from you as possible. *leaves*

Hilarious, eh?

21. Epsilon Prime Over Epsilon Registered Senior Member

THE BCS and TEXAS LONGHORN ROBBED of CAL'S ROSE BOWL POSITION

most ripped off EVER!

grrr!

22. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Cool Skill, here's a thought. Fight the battles you can win, walk away from those you can't. Simplistic? Yes. Effective? Often. Try it for a month and I'll bet your rip-off ratio improves.

23. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

"But you must understand that if you make someone angry, they can't get back at you by dissing your ugly shirt"
    How so? Dissing somebody's shirt doesn't validate the point.
    Furthermore, the anonymity of the internet is probably a good thing because it removes biases.

"The Dalai Lama teaches that we should treasure our enemies as the rarest of gifts, for only through them can we learn the patience and tolerance to become a stronger person."
    A slave might have a hard time doing that.
    The whipper has control over the slave's whole life.
    I'm a slave.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.