Energy from blood

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by leopold, Dec 20, 2005.

1. leopold Valued Senior Member

since hemoglobin and chlorophyll are similar in structure could hemoglobin be used as a power source. yeah i know it's a whacko idea but intrigueing nonetheless
    a bio-mechanical suit, that sounds familiar

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

What are you talking about leo? Clarify yourself.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. leopold Valued Senior Member

to power a spacecraft in deep space
    solar panels are useless
    nuclear energy would be inefficient in terms of craft size
    since it would require bio-engineering i assumed the thread would go here

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. poliwog Registered Senior Member

Like using the blood for a gasoline substitute?

8. Kumar Registered Senior Member

But blood will be much costlier?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. Mosheh Thezion Registered Senior Member

Blood would be a bad sourse of fuel... since we each only have 4 pints or so...
    and taking it causes us to die...

i have been contemplating a urine battery... since we make gallons of it, per week.

-MT

10. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

Vampire SUVs... Scary.

11. leopold Valued Senior Member

this has apparently not been good. you are assuming that we use blood in the process. no we use the blood in the same way that plants use chlorophyll. the blood will convert an unknown substance into enegy. the bio-suit converts the energy to power the ship

12. Kumar Registered Senior Member

Btw, whether/how gasoline is chlorophyll?

How magnessium and iron as in chlorophyll and hemoglobin are interrelated esp. with stability(plants) and movement(animals)?

Which is older---plants or animals?

13. Mosheh Thezion Registered Senior Member

you are talking about a metabolic battery. .... and for such.. we are better off using urine..... since it is renewable.
    -MT

14. leopold Valued Senior Member

explain your theory mosheh

15. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

blood is not an energy converter.

Blood transports oxygen and CO2. Well, blood has many more functions, but if you are talking about hemoglobin we can restrict the discussion to this.

How does a molecule used to transport gases provide for energy?

16. Idle Mind What the hell, man? Valued Senior Member

And, to add to spurious' question, where on earth did you hear that hemoglobin and chlorophyll are of similar structure?

17. Magic Banned Banned

Energy from blood - Leopold , are you thinking of a mitochondria (actually in the cells not in the blood ) .......... ????
    A mitochondria can make energy ......

18. leopold Valued Senior Member

idle mind took care of it with his statement. i thought clorophyll and hemoglobin were structuraly similar except for the iron atom.

edit
    there is a molecule similar to hemoglobin, in place of the iron atom there is magnesium. am i wrong about this?

Last edited: Dec 21, 2005
  19. Nasor Valued Senior Member

Good question. You are correct that both chlorophyll and hemoglobin share very similar porphyrin ring structures with a metal in the center; the site on chlorophyll that absorbs light for conversion into energy is almost exactly the same as the site in hemoglobin where oxygen binds. However, I don’t think that your idea would work for two reasons.

First, when a porphyrin ring structure absorbs light and goes to a higher energy state it usually quickly relaxes back to its ground state. The magnesium atom in the center of a chlorophyll porphyrin slows down the relaxation process, allowing more time for the energy to be converted to useful chemical energy instead of being simply lost to relaxation. Unfortunately this wouldn’t work with iron, so after the hemoglobin absorbed light it would tend to drop back to the ground state too quickly for the energy to be captured.

Second, in chlorophyll there’s an “electron acceptor” molecule positioned above the porphyrin ring to capture the high-energy electron that’s generated when the ring absorbs light. Hemoglobin doesn’t have an electron-accepting group like this, so it probably wouldn’t be able to export the high-energy electron away from the ring for use somewhere else.

Still, it was an interesting idea…and not nearly as far-fetched as some of the other posters here seem to think.

20. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Nasor,

Where would they energy come from to excite chlorophyll or hemoglobin?

21. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

I would imagine from any basic textbook on organic chemistry.
    Both are examples of important closely related classes of molecules, the porphyrins and the chlorins.

22. leopold Valued Senior Member

i was thinking about a dialysis type of setup where the blood would be routed through some sort of converter. the converter uses "photosynthesis type" of reaction to produce the energy. it seemed like it would work.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2005
  23. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Energy.

Energy isn't free.