How to detect rate of your time in Universe ?

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by Anomalous, Jan 20, 2006.

?

Temporalogy through Lightology

1. I didnt get the point of this thread.

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  2. Amplitude is irrelevant to this thread.

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  3. RedShift is the actual defination of this threads question.

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  4. The answer to this thread is yet to be found.

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Anomalous Banned Banned

When frequeny of light is higher then the wavelength is shorter and vice versa. I have no idea about its amplitude relations.

Light from most distant objects going away from us is red shifted, but its wave length should be shorter with respect to the wave length of same frequency light from a nonmoving object.

Hence by looking at the mismatch of frequency and wavelength we should be able to tell whether our local time is faster or slower than rest of that of the universe. Please blast me whereever I am wrong but with credible links.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I know all my threads are closed but I couldnt resist.

- Anomaly

Last edited: Jan 20, 2006
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Light Registered Senior Member

The amplitude is not affected - only the frequency (wavelength).

I don't quite follow you in the second paragraph because red-shifted IS a shorter wavelength.

Yes, you could compute the differences in time frames by the red (or blue) shift.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Anomalous Banned Banned

So U mean no matter how much the frequency or wavelength varies the amplitude is unaffected by both.

I am asking whether that is the case how redshift is know to be redshift, whats the different between redshift and normal light of same wavelength ?

So why is it not possible to know general speeds of different parts of the universe with respect to eachother ?
    I mean one must be the slowest and one fastest.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Light Registered Senior Member

That's correct. And there isn't a "both" - wavelength and frequency are simply two different ways of saying the exact same thing.

It's called "spectral analysis." Every element has precise spectral bands and it's very, very easy to see if those unique bands are shifted - and by how much they are shifted.

No one has said it isn't possible. I don't know where you got that. Yes, we can measure the speed of any visible star.

8. Anomalous Banned Banned

Thanks for clearing some things out.

I have yet not understood ;

Is it possible to create two lights with same wavelengths and amplitude but different frequencies ?

If not then things become very easy to understand about light from apporaching or departing sources.

9. DaleSpam TANSTAAFL Registered Senior Member

No. If f is the frequency, L is the wavelength, and c is the speed of light then:
    f L = c
    Since c is always constant then if you increase f you decrease L and vice versa. You cannot change them independently.

Amplitude is unrelated and can be varied independently.

-Dale

10. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

The Amplitude of a light wave basically tells you how bright the light is. Frequency tells you what colour it is. Once you set the frequency, you've also set the wavelength, since light travels at a constant speed in any particular medium. When light goes from one medium to another, its frequency remains constant, but its speed and wavelength changes.

11. Anomalous Banned Banned

Thanks James R, I was expecting U.

But U havent answered my Question.

Is it possible to create two lights with same frequencies and amplitude but different wavelengths ?

12. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Not in the same medium.

c=fL

where c is the speed, L is the wavelength, and f is the frequency. Since c is fixed, once you set f, you also determine L.

It is certainly possible to have two waves with the same frequency but different amplitudes. Also, you can have two waves travelling in different directions.

13. CANGAS Registered Senior Member

My poll vote:

None of the above.

14. Anomalous Banned Banned

So which poll option do U think I missed and why ?

15. Anomalous Banned Banned

Are U sure about this ? click the below link.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Is the wave getting compressed or is there a problem with the way humans measure it. It seems that light is faster than C and hence the same wave gives different readings. i.e. If the speed is more then we will count more waves in a shorter period and vice versa.

Did U see this comming ?

16. DaleSpam TANSTAAFL Registered Senior Member

Honestly, no.

OK, Doppler effect. The Doppler effect arises precisely because of c = f L.

Your post is confusing to me because the tone sounds like you think you have a clever counterexample to me and JamesR. But then the effect you choose to mention actually requires c = f L (or its equivalent for sound). What's your point?

-Dale

17. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Almost any informed physicist would agree with you James, but it does depend upon what you mean by "same medium." For example, is a ordinary solution of dextrous sugar, (or any optical active OR bi-refractive crystal like "Island Spar") the "same medium"?
    For your answer to be true, you must answer: "NO - that single glass of sugar water is two different mediums."

Perhaps the sugar water example is not two different ones, but certainly some crystals are with the index of refraction dependent upon the orientation of incident polarization vector are for your reply to be strictly true.

18. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

You're right, Billy T.

There's always an exception to the rule if you dig deep enough, isn't there?

19. Anomalous Banned Banned

So what happens if c is not constant but we never checked it properly.

Do U know of any major attempts to check for sure if speed of light is actually constant from an fast object going away, can tell me if U know about any such experiments.

There are many space craft that have sped away from earth so did anybody use them for the purpose or was the speed too slow to do any such measures ?

20. Anomalous Banned Banned

If light of wavelength X meters and frequency of Y cycles per second is emmited (hypothetical measurements). What is it that changes the frequency and wavelenght of that light for the incomming high speed object and exactly when the change occurs ?

21. DaleSpam TANSTAAFL Registered Senior Member

Experimental observations would not match with relativity theory at some point.

I don't know of any such experiments, but they would not be nearly as sensitive as experiments done at CERN or any of the other high-energy particle accelerators. Particles have been accelerated well over .99 c with no measurable deviation from the constancy of c. If there is a frame-dependence of c it must be very small.

-Dale

22. Anomalous Banned Banned

U dont know of any ? Sorry but U do believe all that, dont U ?

Isnt that called blind faith ?

I apologize in advance but thats how it looks ?

23. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

"Anomalies r keys 2 discoveries"

Yes they are. Please provide some well supported anomalies that beg the question of the constancy of 'c' as opposed to the megatons of evidence supporting the constancy and frame independence of 'c'.

Try real hard.