¿mind boggle?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by JoHnNY_ChRoNIC, Aug 24, 2001.

1. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

wet1,

The issues concerning declining resources and our future woes has been on my mind lately. The industry for which I work produces an incredible quantity of waste--possibly, I fear for my karma.

Over the years, I have seen the indicators which define the trend. When I was kid, a Coke was offered in glass bottles, but now the packaging is either very thin plastic or aluminum. That's a trivial example, yes, but still just one of the signs which show the direction that we are traveling.

I want to give this one some more thought and maybe return with a new thread.

Talk to you later.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Patman just one of the lost Registered Senior Member

wet1
    I saw this show on discovery about the cascade effect. (I think that's what it was called?) It was about all the junk in space and from what it said even during a mild meteor shower there is the chance that one or more satellites could be hit creating a shooting gallery in space. Quite the shooting at plus 20,000 MPH. Anyway it could possibly wipe out just about any and all satellites. A dime sized projectile travelling at that speed could be devastating. Now picture a chain reaction 1 makes 3, 3 makes 9.
    You get the picture. Sorry off topic.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Cascade Effect.
    This is some reporter grabbing for headlines. We are constantly showered by meteorites. While some of the more spectacular such as the Persoids (?) come at regular intervals most arrive unnoticed. Now satellites are not layed out like pool balls on a table. Each has it's own orbit, speed, rotation (if any) and are in constant motion. Futher their orbits are planned by what job they are to do. Spy satellites are normally set in a low earth orbit (LEO) so that they may take advantage of the speed of the orbit to bring them over the area of interest (Which I might add has attendancy to change from time to time) Weather satellites are more interested in one fixed area. So they are in a higher geosyncronous orbit which allows them to remain in the same area. What I am getting to here is that the satellites are over a wide range, direction, and attitude. It would be hard to set up a cascade effect that would carry much damage over a wide area. Micrometerites are more the worry. While usually in a large range of speed they still travel with respectable velocity. (Grains of sand size) Capable of severing a wire, knocking out a lens, damanging a solar panel. Most are to small to detect to even know that they are coming, which means after the fact you look for the reason.

I hope this helps. If you wish to carry this further I would recommend that we do so within the Astronomy section.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2001
  6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Patman just one of the lost Registered Senior Member

JoHnNY_ChRoNIC
    Our solar system could be an atom? In an obscure sense, along these lines. What if there are particles that make elements, smaller then we ever imaged. Then every atom has the basic building blocks of life. What if every particle in an atom has it's own DNA structure made out of every element. SORRY I USE DNA FOR LACK OF A BETTER WORD. Thanks, just a thought founded on nothing. Like the universe.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Patman,

I like your signature. I take it the owner went back for a replacement?

9. Patman just one of the lost Registered Senior Member

wet1
    Trust me this is a stab in the dark. We fly jets within our atmosphere and they collide, with use of radar and communication. I realize that there is a significant difference in altitude, but do we really know how much junk is up there.

wet1 You always have great opinions and back them up well. Keep up the good work! (And this was a stab in the dark.)

10. Patman just one of the lost Registered Senior Member

wet1
    I think the owner might have been on Real TV. I don't know if it's the original owner? Can I get sued for making references to all this crap like, THE DISCOVERY CHANNEL, THE LEARNING CHANNEL,
    THE HISTORY CHANNEL or something like realtv.

11. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

To some limited extent, yes we do have an idea how much junk is up there. (at least within orbit)

The Air Force arm of Space Command is in charge of tracking junk in orbit. Down to the size of a large golf ball we know what radar will reflect. Now paint chips and plastic we do not know. And they are dangerous. A few shuttle missions back the windshield sustained a hit from a paint chip while in orbit. They tell me it was distinctly noticable. Now it has been a while since I saw the figures so I could be very wrong on the amount but I want to say that there is upward of around 9000-12000 objects being tracked at present. I realise that this is not space debris but we stand a far greater chance from damage from our own junk than from actual space originated materials.

Now. I really must insist that if you wish to know more or have further questions that we go to the proper forum.

12. Patman just one of the lost Registered Senior Member

wet1
    I'm new here. Lead the way.

13. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

A new thread has been opened within General Science and Technology for this subject. I chose general science as we seem to be going closer and closer to the earth as opposed to deep space. This seems to give the best latitude for the subject.

Also I could not leave without comment on your signature as I jumped for the 82nd Airborne and we always had that guarentee.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2001
  14. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

No kidding? 101st Airborne... Rakasan, Choppin' Charlie! We kept ourselves attached to the aircraft till our feet reached the ground.

15. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Where are you going?????

I want to come along to the new thread.
    Can I be mean there if I want to???
    Not to you, but against politicians and pollutioners and other creeps please???

Please, I want to come along.
    Wait for me, you men!!!