—Grand Ayatollah Ali Sistani -

Discussion in 'World Events' started by surenderer, Jan 31, 2005.

1. surenderer Registered Senior Member

With the Iraqi elections come and gone and as usual Bush Jr. claiming success in something that was mostly out of his control one man seems to remain unheard from Grand Ayatollah Ali Sistani. It may easily be forgotten that it was he and not Bush who wanted a democratic election in Iraq to write their new Constitution. Bush wanted a Constitution that had been written by a body selected and appointed by the US. IF anyone here remembers Bush's original ridiculous plan was to hand power back to Iraqi "exiles" but those murderers and liars seemed to be unreliable so then the IGC (Iraqi Governing Council) was suppose to write it themselves(with US help of course) but they couldnt do it so Sistani consistantly said he wanted Democratic elections which the US rejected time after time. Only after Sistani brought the Shiite majority to the streets in protest did Bush and Bremer cave in and decide to hold elections 1st now and then again by the end of 2005.......Why isnt his name heard more in the press?....without him their would be even more blood shed in Iraq(if you can imagine that) :m:

peace to you :m:

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. marv Just a dumb hillbilly... Registered Senior Member

...and your sources, surrenderer.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. surenderer Registered Senior Member

Tell me where I am wrong then Marv

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

but here let me help you out some (and this is from the Council on Foreign Relations Web-Site)

http://www.cfr.org/background/background_iraq_sistani.php

From the article:

In June 2003, he issued a fatwa, or religious ruling, stating that the framers of Iraq’s constitution had to be elected, not appointed, by U.S. officials and members of the now-defunct Iraqi Governing Council. In November 2003, he issued a statement saying that elections—not a system of regional caucuses envisioned by the U.S.-led coalition authorities—would be the proper way to select a transitional government. He also demanded U.N. involvement in overseeing the election process. In another difference with U.S. plans, Sistani called for a transitional assembly to ratify an interim constitution drafted by the Iraqi Governing Council and to define the terms under which U.S. and allied troops would remain in Iraq after sovereignty was handed over June 28. All of Sistani’s views have been accommodated.

I wonder how many people know of Muslims like this........Marv sure didnt.... but I bet he would have had Ali al-Sistani issued a "death to all Americans" fatwa

Last edited: Feb 1, 2005
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Odin'Izm Procrastinator Registered Senior Member

Well said.. but most of the media in the world is controled and much is not put in, especially information which controverses the ideology of western politics, or propoganda ideas.

If i could get to name this century I would call it the century of media warfare.

8. surenderer Registered Senior Member

Amen bro......I had a conversation with a guy earlier and when I told him "dude you gotta watch more than Fox News for the truth sometimes" he really got offended and said "Watch Fox News!!! I got more than one Channel I also watch CNN!!!!"

To many Americans however seem to think that same way.....To lazy to think for themselves or search for the truth yet are the 1st ones to say "Why do they hate Us?" :m:

9. Odin'Izm Procrastinator Registered Senior Member

With the development of the propoganda machine to this level can you really blame them.. or anyone in their situation.. they dont suspect otherwise. MAybe neither do we!

:bugeye:

after all... if your brain is the size of a wallnut its hard to think for yourself...

Last edited: Feb 7, 2005
  10. Insanely Elite Questions reality. Registered Senior Member

Sistani is all over the press that I listen to. I wouldn't know about cnn/fox lying machines. Americans are not taught TV criticism in school like the rest of the industrialized world. I feel sorry for them.

11. Undecided Banned Banned

What I love about all this is that the US supported the Iraqi invasion of Iran to prevent the Islamic revolution from spreading to Iraq, but it was the US invasion that made it all possible...I am telling you, its amazing.

12. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

Insanely Elite: Your right, issues is so important in schools and its soo nessary for latter years. To be a responcable adult you have to make political desisions like one and to do that you have to be informed. That requires the ability to rip apart an artical and say "how are they trying to manipulate me into following there view"

13. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

What if Iraq democratically elects a theocracy? Way to go, George.

14. Undecided Banned Banned

I don't think its a question...the real question is whether or not the Sunni and Kurds are going to tolerate it...which they won't what then?

15. Repo Man Valued Senior Member

Sistani never had any doubts about what he wanted: use the much-cherished democracy of the US invaders to enable his people - the Shi'ites - to emerge as governors of Iraq, after years of being marginalized by the minority Sunnis. The most dominant question is how Islamic the emerging government of Iraq is likely to be.

The US may not have any problem with Islam as a religion; there is no doubt, however, that the entire notion of "Islamic government" has never been an acceptable proposition in Washington. That was true in Afghanistan after the dismantlement of the Taliban regime, and it has been true in Iraq. US presidents, starting from Jimmy Carter, know only too well how chaotic a system can be created under the rubric of "Islamic government". The Islamic Revolution in Iran in 1979 was the beginning of Washington's nightmare. If Carter had to identify one reason why he remained a one-term president, he would readily state: the Islamic Revolution of Iran, under which the US was humiliated by the Islamic cadres of the late ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini. Islamic government is once again emerging as an issue of utmost concern for another president, except this time he, Bush, might be the direct reason for the materialization of an Islamic government in Iraq.

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Middle_East/GB08Ak01.html

The bunch in Washington right now can't do anything right. Too bad our regular soldiers are the ones to pay the price. And now the Iraqi police and security forces. How frequent will their deaths have to be before it is conceded to be a civil war?

16. surenderer Registered Senior Member

Let me tell you that Sistani is nowhere to be seen in American Newspapers......not saying his name is never mentioned but he is never givin the credit he deserves.....Instead of Bush taking all the credit for the election First and foremost, the election should be seen as a triumph of non-violent resistance for which the Sistani is a great symbol. HE not Bush sent the Shites to the polls.Contrary to news media reporting, especially on stations like Fox News etc...that led the cheerleading for the invasion of Iraq the United States and Britain were strongly opposed to elections and had to be dragged kicking and screaming to accept a ballot.The US said Iraq was too turbulent for full elections and that a vote couldn't be held until a complete national census was held. Sistani's aides countered that food-ration cards issued to every Iraqi family could be used as registration documents for the elections. And that's what's happening now.....Indeed a case of amnesia.
    (purposely) on behalf of the Bush Administration :m:

17. Insanely Elite Questions reality. Registered Senior Member

surenderer,

DemocracyNow laid out all of the points you mentioned. The American major media is corrupted beyond redemption. You know this I am sure. But there are other sources outside the mainstream lying maching that get out in depth informative news stories that manage to reach millions of households. It is a deep divide in America as to what is news in the mainstream press and what is available in alternative sources.

The lack of critical independant media in the US is coloring the masses opinions even as Orwell predicted. It really sickens me. Most people here at SciForums understand this. I still feel sorry for the American masses that have not the education or critical thinking skills to question corporate media. And for the world at large that must suffer from an uninformed American public support of 50 years of progressive fascism.

My one waning hope is that the internet remains an independant medium. And John Stewart continues his crusade to lighten the load from our oppressors and tormentors.

18. Odin'Izm Procrastinator Registered Senior Member

It will soon be controlled aswell, look what happened to the registered extremist sites.