‘’Comet of the century’’ starts to brighten…(article)

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by wegs, Nov 20, 2013.

1. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. el es Registered Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. el es Registered Senior Member

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

i DON'T LIKE COMETS. THEY ARE UNlUCKY.
    sEE. bAD lUCK ALREADY.

8. brucep Valued Senior Member

It should be spectacular if it survives it's path through the outer regions of the sun. Since it's a sungrazer we should be able to follow part of it's path with the SOHO experiment. When Hale Bopp was coming I bought an 8" celestron schmidt-cassegrain telescope. It was the most fun I ever had with a telescope. I read this article in astronomy mag and it suggested making your observation and then drawing what you saw. I occasionally review my 'observations' for remembrance purposes. LOL. My greatest Hale Bopp event was gazing at the comet through a hole in 'moonlight lined storm clouds' driving out the 'backside' of the borrego desert on a path to Julian.

9. brucep Valued Senior Member

10. el es Registered Senior Member

Comet Hale-Bopp was amazing. Maybe Comet ISON will hold together long enough to view as it appears to head toward Polaris.

11. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Looks like my hopes have been dashed.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I just read the latest news about ISON. ~sniffle sob~

12. brucep Valued Senior Member

Shoot.... At least SOHO recorded what it could. Hale Bopp was my 'signature' [LOL] astrophysical experience. No 'yellow brick path' for comet ISON. I think it was deep into the suns corona.

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/soho/

Check these LASCO 3 and 2 films. The 2 really shows the path in the most revealing way.

http://www.nasa.gov/content/goddard/comet-ison-fizzles-as-it-rounds-the-sun/#.UpfxbRyaxBE

13. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Thanks, I'll view them later. It sucks though, Bruce...predictions made it really sound like ISON would survive.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Oh well!

14. el es Registered Senior Member

15. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

An amazing video at APOD of the approach and departure from the Sun's immediate vicinity.

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html

Explanation: After failing to appear for Sun staring spacecraft at perihelion, its harrowing closest approach to the Sun, sungrazing Comet ISON was presumed lost. But ISON surprised observers yesterday as material still traveling along the comet's trajectory became visible and even developed an extensive fan-shaped dust tail. Edited and processed to HD format, this video (vimeo, youtube) is composed of frames from the SOHO spacecraft's coronographs. It follows the comet in view of the wide (blue tint) and narrow (red tint) field cameras in the hours both before and after perihelion passage. In both fields, overwhelming sunlight is blocked by a central occulting disk. A white circle indicates the Sun's positon and scale. With questions to be answered and the tantalizing possibility that a small cometary nucleus has survived in whole or part, surprising comet ISON will be rising before dawn in planet Earth's skies in the coming days.

16. paddoboy Valued Senior Member