1,000,000 Dead & an End to Slavery & no national recognition

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by RainbowSingularity, Jul 4, 2019.

1. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

with 4th of July Holiday coming for the USA i checked to see what the national holiday was for the end to slavery and end to the civil war..
    but there is none.
    i was quite suprised and now i get it about why there is soo much racism in America when they don't celebrate the end of the civil war that put a symbolic end to slavery.
    WoW !

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Civil_War

surely America should be bringing the enemy's & criminals to justice ?
    "bring them to justice" ...
    how does that modern moral absolutism work in todays reality of crime for the American culture ?

is it the fact that there are soo many racists in the USA that they are incapable of celebrating the end of the civil war in fear of them starting another one ?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. candy Valued Senior Member

Memorial day originally was for the civil war dead.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

loaded into your mind instead of
    "why is there no national holiday for the liberation of black Americans with the winning of the civil war?"

the excuse is just plausible enough & off topic to be able to disregard the real question.

this is called subconscious bias

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

Oh, but look at all the glorious dege - er, I mean - Confederate generals on their tall bronze horses, gazing out over the city and town squares of red states! Not a one, kneeling in the blood of his plough-boys, offering up his broken sword.
    Americans have an alternate memory-track.