1 million for some math. But why?

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by conseil, Jun 22, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. conseil Registered Member

In the year 1900 Hilbert wrote a lettre with the mathematical problems that should be solved in the 20th century. Now, 100 years later, a mathematical organisation has done that again. See http://www.claymath.org/prize_problems
    What's more, you can win 1 million dollar if you solve one of the problems!
    Now that's a nice way to become rich, isn't it?
    But, unfornutately, when i checked out the site and the problems, not a single one looks very excilarating!
    Any of you guys have an idea why this is 'hot' mathematics?
    Well, reading the problems does have the benefit of feeling modest.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Plato Registered Senior Member

It seems as if the stupider the question looks, the harder it is to find a satifying answer for it.
    Any way it is always good to have some challenges and provide a nice reward for them. I'm confident though that next century we will have a new list of problems which will be equally intriguing...

------------------
    I err, therefore I exist !

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Rambler Senior Member Registered Senior Member

Hi all,

I heard this on the radio a few months ago, over here it was reported to be 12 Million...there were 4 equations to solve...apparently all have been attempted for most of the last century without success.. I know one was definetly to do with encryption. The catch also is that you must publish the solution and have it under peer review for 12 months and then the money is yours.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.