2.6 gallon of Coke a day is probably bad for you

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Syzygys, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Woman dies at age 31 after consuming 2.6 gallong of Classic Coke everyday:

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/health/2013/02/13/moms-death-linked-to-coke-in-coroners-report/

"she would get headaches and act moody without her Coke fix, according to the coroner’s report. Close friends said she would “get the shakes” and other withdrawal symptoms. Her heart would race, her liver was swollen, and her rotting teeth had to be removed. But, said the report, “the family did not consider that Coke was harmful due to the fact of it having no warning signs.”

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Gremmie "Happiness is a warm gun" Valued Senior Member

Mental note...from now on, stick to sprite.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

why was her liver swollen?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. elte Valued Senior Member

8. Mikebach Registered Member

How could any human, even as an adult consume 2.6 gal. a day of coke without the phosphoric acid eating the digestive system away in less than a year? Bullshit - on ABC news...

9. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Well, she is dead, so she couldn't...

10. rodereve Registered Member

Yeah I read this article, I actually read it on bbc and it said she would eve drink up to 10 gallons on some days. That's just outrageous, even if it was a OCD, her family and friends that knew about it just allowed her to drink herself to death lol oh well, I didn't know the actual situation

11. Bells Staff Member

I read one article that said she had lost all of her teeth and some of her children were born without any enamel on their teeth and that should have been a sign to her and her family that it was detrimental to her health..

And her family did not think it was a sign?

Were they blind?

And how is it even remotely possible to drink that much of anything, let alone a soft drink? Was she permanently attached to a bottle or something? It's insane.

12. youreyes amorphous ocean Valued Senior Member

Well in USA, the woman is the one responsible for her children, is it not so? Or she is abdicated of her crimes against her children?

13. Bells Staff Member

She's dead.

Would you like her to be raised from the dead and charged with drinking too much Coke which resulted in the crime of her children being born without teeth enamel?

*Rolls eyes*

14. rodereve Registered Member

How did her coke drinking affect the babies enamel? Well damn...she continued this behavior WHILE she was pregnant? Her family was really irresponsible, I mean I guess she was an actual addict and this was beyond her control, but allowing her to continue this intake while having kids (it said she had 8 children), not sure how much of an impact this will have on their growth and development into adulthood but it wont be positive

15. youreyes amorphous ocean Valued Senior Member

Exactly dead. No mother for children.
    Has the current generation learned a thing?

16. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

10 L a day of ANYTHING isn't good for you. I would have to check but I think that much water would be enough to give you lethal water intoxication.

To be honest it sounds like she had polydipsia, an quenchable thirst

It might be the only reason she lasted that long was the diuretic effects of the coke and the fact that its a hypertonic solution

17. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

That is liters, not gallons. Looks like the 2.6 gallon (10 liters) were the upper range. Also, the kids being born without enamel is BS. You drinking habit doesn't effect your teeth DNA.....

18. Bells Staff Member

Vitamin deficiency could though. Especially Vitamin D.

And the consumption of caffeine can affect how much Vitamin D you absorb. Considering she was consuming that much, then it is possible.

19. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

also concidering the liquid intake her electrolytes would have have been all over the shop even without the caffeine effects. Potassium would be massively down, probably calcium and magnesium as well, sodium would probably be down unless coke contains more than 9%

20. leopold Valued Senior Member

classic symptoms of caffeine withdrawal.
    yes, withdrawal happens after a prolonged absence of the needed material.
    of course!
    what's next?
    gonna tag each oxygen molecule?
    what about rope?
    let's tag that with warning signs it can be used to hang yourself.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

since water can be used to torture people let's not forget THAT tag.
    DANGER WILL ROBINSON!!!!
    WATER IS LETHAL !!!!

21. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

Also the palpitations could be caused by the electrolyte imbalance specifically potassium and possibly calcium as well

22. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

So you're saying that what killed her was the sugar, not the caffeine??? I thought this was going to be a thread about the evils of caffeine, and why it's idiotic to outlaw marijuana and other relatively harmless drugs, yet enthusiastically support the sale of much more harmful drugs like alcohol and tobacco, and even pander caffeine to children!

I've spent my whole life as a recovering caffeine addict. Do you have any idea how I would behave if I drank 30 cans of cola in one day? Even diet cola, which eliminates the sugar problem. You'd have to scrape me off the ceiling.

I do not for one second believe that her death was caused entirely by the sugar. That's enough caffeine to make a rhinoceros fly!

Let's see now: the equivalent of four pounds of sugar every day. Six thousand calories, not counting her other food. About three times the daily maintenance diet for a rather large, rather active man. Do the articles say how much she weighed? Maybe she just slipped and fell over and couldn't lift herself off the floor.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

23. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

If that was aimed at me then no I don't think it was the sugar, in a diabetic that would take a long time for hyperglycaemia to cause death, the caffeine maybe part of it but I think it was the fluid ITSELF which killed her. If it had been pure water it would have been a lot quicker but there are solutes (obviously) in coke which must have delayed the onset of death