20 Hypothetical Questions

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Lykan, May 2, 2002.

1. M00se1989 Banned Banned

20 Hypothetical Questions. I'm asking other people too and will share the final % results eventually...

fun...
    1) Would you be willing to spend a night alone in a remote house that is supposedly haunted, just for the sake of it? (knowing nothing more about the history of the house than that) There is no electricity though there is running water and other utilities, and you can bring your own flashlight and/or lantern and such. The nearest neighbors live 5 miles away.

I drove to Texas one with $200 and a whim, Jumped off cliffs into water, no house can hold me.

2) If a new medicine were developed that would cure arthritis but cause a fatal reaction in 1% of those who took it, would you want it to be released to the public?

Would you rather die or let your bones die? Ask someone that i'm sure they would choose to die.

3) You discover that your wonderful one-year-old child is, because of a mix-up at the hospital, not yours. What would you do? Would you want to exchange the child to try to correct the "mistake"?

I don't want nobody else's kid but mine!! Unless maybe my real kid died and my wife was unable to conceive again.

4) Would you accept $1,000,000 in U.S. dollars (or the equivelant in whatever currency) to leave your country and never set foot in it again?

5) Which gender do you think has it easier in our culture?

Women as their tits are the initial object of oral fixation. Impressive is to stare at them through the corners of your eyes, But remarkable is to glorify the object itself in the presence of a woman without getting hit back..

6) (For this question, if you're currently in a mate relationship then answer as if you were single) You have the chance to meet someone with whom you can have the most satisfying love imaginable -- the stuff of dreams. However, you know that in six months the person will have sex with someone else, and then when you eventually find out they will leave you for them and want nothing more to do with you. Knowing the pain that would follow, would you still want to meet the person and fall in love and experience the 6 months of bliss? You would forget your foreknowledge of the events in store for you, too.

I would squeeze some melons or lemons, whichever the case may be.

7) If you knew of a way to use your estate, following your death, to greatly benefit all of humanity, would you do it and leave only a minimal amount (10%) to your family?

If it benefitted a greater good, then yes. But money is no object, so no.

8) Would you be willing to murder an innocent person if it would 'somehow' end all hunger in the world?

What are people going to eat the guy I kill?? Thats kinda like the King Must Die in some sense. If the guy was willing to be murdered to end hunger then it depends on what happens to the universe after I kill him.

9) Would you rather be given $10,000 for your own use, or be able to give $1000 anonymously to 100 strangers? You can't pick who it's given to, though you know that all of the people could really use the money.

kill the old woman, take the money, and run like Raskolnikov. Maybe ending world hunger in the process... lol

10) Would you be willing to give up half of what you now own (randomly selected) for a pill that would permanently change you so that one hour of sleep each day would fully refresh you?

No If i wanted to be awake ALL the time I would be...

11) If the person you were engaged to marry had an accident and became a paraplegic, would you go through with the marriage or back out of it?

I almost married a sociopath, I guess a paraplegic would be a completely different problem... But i know insanity is all that you think, paraplegia is about what you are.

12) You are offered $1,000,000 USD (or the equivalent in whatever currency) for the following act: Before you are ten pistols -- only one of which is loaded. You must pick up one of the pistols, point it at your forehead, and pull the trigger. If you can do this and walk away you do so a millionaire. Would you accept the risk?

Would you pay a million dollars to see a mans brains get blown out? But i think the actual experiment would insue more hilarity than the Stanley Milgram electric voltage one.

13) Someone very close to you is in pain, paralyzed, and you 'somehow' know for certain that they will die within a month. He begs you to give him a fast-acting, painless poison so that he can die. No one else would ever know. Would you?

If I saw good reason for his death that aided his own mind.

14) If you could have free, unlimited service for five years from an extremely good cook, chauffeur, or masseuse, which would you choose?

your mother. lol unlimited service(=

15) Do you feel ill at ease going out to see a movie by yourself?

only if I get to jerk off into the floor, and the floor is not already sticky....

16) Do you feel ill at ease going out to dinner at a resturaunt by yourself?

I wouldn't go anywhere fancy, but who cares about in public. I might find someone I know or meet someone new.

17) For $35,000 USD, would you go for three months without washing, brushing your teeth, or using deodorant? Assume you could not explain your reasons to anyone until after the three months is up.

Hell yeah, I would mess with all kinds of people for the sweet stench of $35,000!

18) Would you be willing to have your left middle finger surgically removed if it 'somehow' guaranteed you immunity from all diseases?

Why not? I would only have to find a better way to tell deaf people F off...

19) You 'somehow' know for certain that you will die of an incurable disease within three months. Would you allow yourself to be cryogenically frozen *within the week* if you knew it would give you a modest chance of being revived in 1,000 years and living a greatly extended life?

You don't want to glimpse into the future?

20) You are leading 100 people in a survivalist situation, when suddenly your lives are in danger and you must choose between two courses of action. One would cause 10 of the people to die and everyone else would live, the other would have a 70% chance of saving everyone but were it to fail then everyone would die. Which would you choose?

Save the whole my existence depends on it both ways. The one traveling the furthers who guides is the most vulnerable to attack in the 10% chance I already have for survival. Unless I am in the middle and get others to do my bidding of directions.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. aaqucnaona This sentence is a lie Valued Senior Member

Yes. Bring - Food, Water, Flashlight, Taser, Smartphone, many batteries.

Yes. And obviously, you can test it to see what conditions cause the fatal reaction, thus reducing the casualites.

Its a decision to be made by both parents of both children. Optimal solution- become neighbours.

If I can take a close relatives and assets with me, then Yes. Btw, in today's age of technology, you dont need to be in a country to do things in that country - like talk to relatives who are still there or control/sells assets left behind.

Neither.

No. A six month affair with the best person in the world is useless. I would rather have a permanent [or long] relation with a fairly good person.

Of course. I would set up ways in which my family could do well, though.

Not until I know what that somehow is. Then I would decide [based on whether better alternatives are avialable].

That's a no brainer. Even jesus, no wait, especially jesus himself, would choose option 1. Have it for myself. Imagine giving it to a drug addict who could really use a 100 bucks.

Hell ya!

Yes. A person is more than just his body [no soul mystic shit - I am talking about the mind].

Only if I had sent a tiny flying spy cam beforehand.

I would check all the options and if it really is the case, then yes.

Cook. I prefer my bicycle and massage is not my thing. I would rather stretch or work out.

No. Why should I? In fact, going to the movies is one of the best ways to make friends.

Maybe a little. Its more formal than a movie, you see.

Yes, of course. Stock up the house and lock yourself in, eat sparingly and dont do anything that can make you sweat.

If I check the somehow and find it accepable, then yes. I would just have a prosthetic implant later.

Yes. I mean, Pascal's wager, why not?

We would vote.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. RichW9090 Evolutionist Registered Senior Member

1) Would you be willing to spend a night alone in a remote house that is supposedly haunted, just for the sake of it? (knowing nothing more about the history of the house than that) There is no electricity though there is running water and other utilities, and you can bring your own flashlight and/or lantern and such. The nearest neighbors live 5 miles away.

I enjoy the comfort of my own bed, so I'm not sure why I'd want to do such a thing. However, should the occassion somehow arise, I'd not give it a second thought. Why should I?

2) If a new medicine were developed that would cure arthritis but cause a fatal reaction in 1% of those who took it, would you want it to be released to the public?

Arthritis? No, because arthritis is not a fatal disease, and osteoarthritis is treatable by much less risky modalities. Now, if you are actually talking about Rheumatoid Arthritis, then yes, because the quality of life with that disease is often abyssmally poor, so the risk would be one which I would be willing to let people choose to assume, fully informed, of course.

3) You discover that your wonderful one-year-old child is, because of a mix-up at the hospital, not yours. What would you do? Would you want to exchange the child to try to correct the "mistake"?

Much would depend on the situation - this is too simplistic a hypothetical to give a sesnible answer. I can envsion scenarios where I would say yes, and those under which I would say no.

4) Would you accept $1,000,000 in U.S. dollars (or the equivelant in whatever currency) to leave your country and never set foot in it again?

In a heartbeat. One million would be enough for me to live quite comfortably in any number of places which I enjoy, since I am of an age where a long life does not lie ahead of me.

Gender is a culturally assigned role, not a biological property. I suspect you really ment to ask which sex you think has it easier. Neither do - both meet many challenges and have many opportunities (speaking of the US as "our culture")

6) (For this question, if you're currently in a mate relationship then answer as if you were single) You have the chance to meet someone with whom you can have the most satisfying love imaginable -- the stuff of dreams. However, you know that in six months the person will have sex with someone else, and then when you eventually find out they will leave you for them and want nothing more to do with you. Knowing the pain that would follow, would you still want to meet the person and fall in love and experience the 6 months of bliss? You would forget your foreknowledge of the events in store for you, too.

No.

7) If you knew of a way to use your estate, following your death, to greatly benefit all of humanity, would you do it and leave only a minimal amount (10%) to your family?

No.

8) Would you be willing to murder an innocent person if it would 'somehow' end all hunger in the world?

Again, a rather silly proposal, since there is no logical way that this could happen.

9) Would you rather be given $10,000 for your own use, or be able to give $1000 anonymously to 100 strangers? You can't pick who it's given to, though you know that all of the people could really use the money.

I'll take the 10K for myself, thank you very much.

10) Would you be willing to give up half of what you now own (randomly selected) for a pill that would permanently change you so that one hour of sleep each day would fully refresh you?

No, because I know that is voodoo science and no such thing exists.

11) If the person you were engaged to marry had an accident and became a paraplegic, would you go through with the marriage or back out of it?

I would go through with it, of course.

12) You are offered $1,000,000 USD (or the equivalent in whatever currency) for the following act: Before you are ten pistols -- only one of which is loaded. You must pick up one of the pistols, point it at your forehead, and pull the trigger. If you can do this and walk away you do so a millionaire. Would you accept the risk?

No.

13) Someone very close to you is in pain, paralyzed, and you 'somehow' know for certain that they will die within a month. He begs you to give him a fast-acting, painless poison so that he can die. No one else would ever know. Would you?

Again, unlikely that I could ever "know" something like that, so it is a silly question. But rephrase it to say that a loved one has a terminal illness, a short time to live, and is in much pain, and I would do something to help them make the decision and take the action themselves.

14) If you could have free, unlimited service for five years from an extremely good cook, chauffeur, or masseuse, which would you choose?

The cook.

I don't go out to see movies either by myself or with anyone else. I don't like movie theaters.

Not at all, although I prefer to eat at a restaurant with a companion.

17) For $35,000 USD, would you go for three months without washing, brushing your teeth, or using deodorant? Assume you could not explain your reasons to anyone until after the three months is up.

No, not even if I was the only resident on a deserted island.

18) Would you be willing to have your left middle finger surgically removed if it 'somehow' guaranteed you immunity from all diseases?

Another silly question - of course not, for I know there is no possible mechanism which could explain such an effect.

19) You 'somehow' know for certain that you will die of an incurable disease within three months. Would you allow yourself to be cryogenically frozen *within the week* if you knew it would give you a modest chance of being revived in 1,000 years and living a greatly extended life?

No, because I know that cryogenics is a pipedream and we are no nearer to having it become a reality now than we were 80 years ago. More voodoo science.

20) You are leading 100 people in a survivalist situation, when suddenly your lives are in danger and you must choose between two courses of action. One would cause 10 of the people to die and everyone else would live, the other would have a 70% chance of saving everyone but were it to fail then everyone
    would die. Which would you choose?

Undoubtedly, I would choose neither, but would find a way to have all, or nearly all, survive - with their informed consent and participation.

Altogether, these questions seemed designed to test how willing someone is to abandon logic and reason and accept pseudoscientific mumbojumbo.

Rich.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Wouldn't bother me a bit for I don't believe in "ghosts" also I would bring a portable generator and TV and radio to keep me entertained since no electricity is available there. I'd also invite some friends to have a party there since you didn't say I could not bring others I will.

Of course not. There are medications that today can relieve the pain of arthritis without killing anyone so even though it cannot cure the disease it can bring total relief to many.

Yes.

That depends upon many things like can I still see my family, friends, have a good job, have a pension and on and on. Sometimes money can't buy everything that is needed in life.

Who is "our" since I do not know where you are talking about? If America I'd say men.

No.

No. My family needs it more to survive in this day and age due to their dire circumstances they live with.

No.

I'd give the money to strangers then stipulate they can have it if they give me back a certain small percentage that would equal the 10,000.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

No.

Go through with it. Might cut loose after a few years though once the person had "adjusted " to their condition.

Sure, after I let others pick up the weapons first and fire them for you never mentioned I couldn't do that.

I'd leave medication that would allow them to use it the way they choose and if they choose to use it to die then that's their decision.

None, I don't trust others and am use to doing those things myself.

No. I've always had others in the theater with me that are also there without someone so we all have each other.

No, again there are others there that I can strike up a conversation with so I'm not really alone.

Yes. I'd just stay away from everyone during that time period.

No, because I'll die anyway from something happening to me.

No, once dead , that's it, you won't ever be able to return as who you are.

20) You are leading 100 people in a survivalist situation, when suddenly your lives are in danger and you must choose between two courses of action. One would cause 10 of the people to die and everyone else would live, the other would have a 70% chance of saving everyone but were it to fail then everyone would die. Which would you choose?

I'd find another solution and save everyone.

8. Enmos Valued Senior Member

No. Why would I?

Depends on if there is a better medicine out there already.
    If this was by far the best option and people are told the risks.. Sure, why not?

Probably not.

Sure.

I really don't think there is a significant difference.

No, probably not.

No.

Depends on what the 'somehow' is. If left unclear, then no.

$10,000 for my own use. If i decide to give all or some of it away, I will know where it ends up.

No.

I'd go through with it. Love has got nothing to do with the ability to move one's limbs.

I may accept, but I can't really answer this with any certainty until I find myself in said situation.

Yes.

Masseuse. I guess.

No, but I don't see the point of it either.

No.

No way. My teeth and health are worth more to me than $35,000 USD.

Yes, if I accept the somehow. If left unclear.. maybe..

Depends. I will probably choose to do so if my death is going to be very painful or undignified. If not, then no.

The first option.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2011
  9. DropDeadDesi Registered Member

1. Just for the hell of it no. Not because I'm scared I just have better things to do *Cough*PlayingWOW*Cough* .-.

2. Yes. Like 8,000 people die everyday anyway and atleast it has a high percent chance of working. It's better that nothing.

3. No. I'd keep the child. Well I at a certain age I would tell him/her about it and see if they'd liek to see their real parents and whatever they want to do from there I'll respect their decison.

4. Hell yeah! I hate America!

5. Guys in so many ways.

6. If I can't remember any of it then its pointless..

7. Depends on what they mean. Like ending poverty or curing cancer sure but giving it to the government for stupid stuff then no.

8. If it was to end world hunger then yes. Atleast they died for something great.

9. Selfish, yes but I'd take the money. I really need it

10. Pshh no I like me some sleep!

11. Even though I'd want to back out I'd just go through with it. I dont want him/her to feel bad =/

12. Definetly! Heck I'll do it 2 or 3 times!

13. Yes. If they want to end their suffering then its none of my business to make them stop especially of we're close. I wouldnt want to see them in pain anymore.

14. Masseuse

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

15. No, I feel so out of place.

16. No, I definetly feel out of place!

17. Could I stay confined by myself at home? If not then no

18. Sure. I'd just always wear a glove with something sticking in that part or get a fake limb.

19. No. This world woul dbe in more chaos that it already it. I'd rather die now.

20. Just having 10 people die.

Well that was fun c:

10. ssfreak Registered Member

Even if it wasn't haunted I wouldn't sleep there, because I like sleeping in my own bed.

Sure, but the risk must be known by all people who take it.

Yes, the child probably won't remember me anyway. I would probably keep in touch with the other family.

No, I like my home.

Depends on what area we are talking about. Jobs? family? Stereotypes? etc.

I feel like if I went along with this, I would be one of the people who don't trust guys anymore and I think that might ruin future relationships.

considering my possessions include a laptop, a camera, two paintings, and about $150, I don't care what happens to my stuff. If there was any possible way that would GREATLY benefit humanity, then sure, but good luck finding a way. Maybe my paintings of a kangaroo and abstract dots and stripes will change the world. lol

If I had to kill the person myself, I couldn't. If I just had to press a button, then sure.

Give it away. But where does the extra $90,000 come from?

I think I actually wouldn't, I like to dream. Also, What do at night when nothing is going on? Just play on the computer?

Why would I? I wouldn't be able to live with myself knowing I left someone I loved during the time they need someone there the most.

Not worth it! I not scared of death, but I would kill myself just for some money.

If I didn't know they were going to die soon, I probably wouldn't(guilt). But since I would know, yes I would.

Can I give the masseuse to my mom? She is always complaining about wanting a massage. I don't want to get use to any of them, then to have it stop after 5 years anyway.

I don't really go to movies, but if I really wanted to watch a movie and no one wanted to go with me, I would still go. As a loner, I don't need someone with me all the time!

Never done this, because I don't have a car to drive myself there. So I would have to get my parents to drive me there, just to eat by myself. They would think I am crazy. Anyways, if I had my own car, sure! Especially when I am craving something. Right now I want Mexican food, it is so good here in Texas.

Why would I?

Typing would be fun! Anyways, I not sure, I am not a sickly person, but I am 17, so that could change in the future. Could I do it when I am older and more likely to get sick? If now, no. If later, then yes.

No, I would rather live now, not in a 1,000 years. who knows what will happen by then? It could be like idiocracy!

I would feel guilty letting the 10 die when there is a good chance that I could save everyone. What if?

11. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

12. leopold Valued Senior Member

sure, why not?

sure, why not?
    a lot of other supposedly "harmless" substances are freely available.

after 1 year?
    no, but i would do my best to sue the balls off the hospital responsible.

no. period.

men generally have it easier.

NO!!!
    been there too many times. NO. NO. NO.

yes.

no.

give $1000 to 100 strangers.

no.

the first one of your questions i have difficulty in answering.

i don't even need to think about this one.
    NO!

no.
    i would tell them they are a tough ol' bird and to hang in there.

good cook.
    just the basics ma'am.

no.

no.

sure, but i might need to reacquaint myself with humanity.

i've fared pretty well so far against disease without removing any body parts.
    no.

another good question.
    i doubt it.

the first option, the second carries the risk of losing everyone.

13. Saturnine Pariah Hell is other people Valued Senior Member

A: Why not! I could go for some adventure!2) If a new medicine were developed that would cure arthritis but cause a fatal reaction in 1% of those who took it, would you want it to be released to the public?
    A: Let’s see chemo is legal and tobacco is legal..so why the hell not?3) You discover that your wonderful one-year-old child is, because of a mix-up at the hospital, not yours. What would you do? Would you want to exchange the child to try to correct the "mistake"?
    A: NO.
    A: Make it a billion and give me my own remote island and you’ve got yourself a deal.5) Which gender do you think has it easier in our culture?
    A: Males

A: NO.

A: 25% for the family the rest can go to the world deal or no deal!
    A: No, that would simply lead to more strains on resources if the predicted millions of deaths attributed to hunger didn’t die.9) Would you rather be given $10,000 for your own use, or be able to give $1000 anonymously to 100 strangers? You can't pick who it's given to, though you know that all of the people could really use the money.
    A: Shut up and just give me the 10,00010) Would you be willing to give up half of what you now own (randomly selected) for a pill that would permanently change you so that one hour of sleep each day would fully refresh you?
    A: Permanently change my appearance, intellect personality?11) If the person you were engaged to marry had an accident and became a paraplegic, would you go through with the marriage or back out of it?
    A: still go through with it, I don’t care
    A: are these pistols revolvers or semi-autos?
    A: In a New York Minute. Yes
    A : Cook.

A: What type of movie? If it’s an action, horror or a documentary than I’ll go solo.
    16) Do you feel ill at ease going out to dinner at a restaurant by yourself?
    A: depends on the occasion or restaurant.17) For $35,000 USD, would you go for three months without washing, brushing your teeth, or using deodorant? Assume you could not explain your reasons to anyone until after the three months is up.
    A: How about NO!

A: EVERY disease? Also which hand will my middle finger be removed from...I have a habit of giving people the bird with my right hand.
    A: Wouldn’t this have been canceled out by question #19? But in this case I much rather freeze myself than rot in a bed.20) You are leading 100 people in a survivalist situation, when suddenly your lives are in danger and you must choose between two courses of action. One would cause 10 of the people to die and everyone else would live, the other would have a 70% chance of saving everyone but were it to fail then everyone would die. Which would you choose?
    A: Sorry guys...ten folks got to die..now everybody draw straws!

14. leopold Valued Senior Member

i thought about this too and came to the conclusion the world will be vastly different than it is today.
    where cockroaches are the size of tennis shoes and the world run by lizards.

15. LordSion Registered Member

No

Yes

No

Yes

female

Yes

No

Yes

10,000 for me.

Yes

No

Yes

Yes

chauffeur

Yes

Yes

No

No

Yes

20) You are leading 100 people in a survivalist situation, when suddenly your lives are in danger and you must choose between two courses of action. One would cause 10 of the people to die and everyone else would live, the other would have a 70% chance of saving everyone but were it to fail then everyone would die. Which would you choose?[/QUOTE]

First option (would kill the 10 people myself if necessary)

16. siledre Registered Senior Member

1. yes
    2. no
    3. exchange to prevent a future issue.
    4. yes
    5. men
    6. no
    7. I'd give it to humanity
    8. no
    9. the 1000 to 100
    10. no
    11. go through with it.
    12. no
    13. no
    14. masseuse
    15. no
    16. no
    17. no
    18. yes
    19. no
    20. the 70% chance one.

17. raguzozu11 Registered Member

Well, to answer question number 1 (then follow up answers by editting my post).

Hell no. For what purpose? To scare myself into having a heart attack? To prove that ghosts/spirits do or don't exist? For a thrill while being convinced that there's a good chance I won't be waking up in the morning even if I can manage to get to sleep.

I'm not sure what to make of apparitions or the like - but I definitely wouldn't call it superstition. I certainly believe there's a possibility such things do occur (depending on what your are referring to).

I don't think the ghosts would appreciate me coming into their house for a little thrill seeking camping trip.

18. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

You resurrected a thread four years dead-and-buried to copy word-for-word poster #2's post (and not even credit it as a quote)?
    Why?