20 Scariest Movies of All Time

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by Brian Foley, Oct 26, 2010.

1. Brian Foley REFUSE - RESIST Valued Senior Member

#1 Shining
    #2 The Exorcist

Me personally The Exorcist is #1, I always thought “The Shining” was incredibly overrated. I saw it when it first came out. It had some great cinematography and some interesting lines and characters, but the emotion (and thus the scares) were bled out of it by Kubrick’s tedious perfectionism, and Jack Nicholson was wildly miscast. Admittedly, he was perfect as a homicidal psycho, but he was supposed to be a regular guy driven mad by the isolation at the evil house. Instead, he was crazy Jack Nicholson right from the first frame, which killed any suspense. There was nothing shocking about him grabbing an ax; the audience just sat there and waited for 90 minutes, wondering when Crazy Jack was finally going to get around to it.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Kat9Lives Registered Senior Member

for me
    "The Ring"
    that scared the s#@t out of me!!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Gremmie "Happiness is a warm gun" Valued Senior Member

I loved The Omen... I was a kid when I saw it, and it freaked me out.

I agree...The Shining, is a good movie... But, it isn't all that scary, and is highly over-rated..

Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

Bruce Almighty. A black god scared the shit outta the KKK.

8. toltec Registered Senior Member

Pearl Harbour

I was sitting in the middle of the front row. After 10mins I realised I'd have to sit through this crap or get up, make everyone in the row stand up and move out my way as I squeezed past, blocking the screen for the people in the rows behind them, then walk up the isle past them learing at me.

Then I realised that me blocking the veiw for a few seconds would be an act of mercy for the people it happened to, so I escaped the cinema.

9. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Although many call it SciFi, I enjoyed Alien as a horror movie.

10. Bebelina kospla.com Valued Senior Member

The Thing.

11. Pinwheel Banned Banned

That Thing.

12. John99 Banned Banned

He wasnt 'crazy right from the first frame', at least i didnt see it that way. He gave the impression that crazy was possible though and that made it even better because you can see something is just not 100% right. Nicholson was cast perfectly in a movie that had everything going for it. I also like 'witches of eastwick' which came after that. And Jack Nicholson was not cast in "crazy person' roles before that movie either. You are wrong about that but STILL you put it as your second favorite "scary" movie? I think the build up to crazy was perfectly done. The movie had some subtlties to it that peole may not catch too...but Jack made the movie.

I wont list scary movies because some are too scary to list but i also dont dig gratuitous violence now two on my list i cant report on because theyre too scary but i will add some.

Michael Keaton in the Static movie...where the dead communicate through staitc. Now that i can relate too because if you ever listen to an old tape that has not been recorded onto or been recorded but not real discernable sound or video present or even static and you hear soem crazy things. Things that sound like people whispering, curse words, laughing, crying, moaning etc.

Anothe is Room 1408. I loved this movie. Best scenes are the window scenes especially the guy in the apartment across the street.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Makes me think of one of my all time favorite lines: "...now what you think is nothing might be something after all"

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  13. Brian Foley REFUSE - RESIST Valued Senior Member

His acting was hammy, you only have to view the restroom scene with Grady the butler, and watch his stupid facial expressions to evidence that.
    He played crazies from the lawyer in Easy Rider, the crazy MP from The Last Detail and the nut in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, all before The shining.
    No that is the list from the site, I just believe the Exorcist is the best.
    Such as?
    If Gary Oldman had of been around then I would of cast him, Nicholson is way to Hammy an actor.

14. ejderha Exhausted Registered Senior Member

The Shining and Exorcist are scary?
    The first one is a good book and an OK movie, the latter is a comedy.

I don't understand how movies with fantasy elements can be scary. They could weird you out or make you jump in your seat. Even if you puke in the cinema, the only scary thing is the embarassment. They can't be scarier than some other movies which tell stories that is possible to happen in reality.

Funny Games
    Irreversible

15. phlogistician Banned Banned

"House of the Dead". The scary part is that anyone gives Uwe Boll money to make movies.

16. Mr MacGillivray Banned Banned

Bambi...the scene were the mother is shot (or indicated she is shot) is horrible. And when a pack of vicious dogs chase them...oh my...horrible...

Especially when you are a kid.

17. John99 Banned Banned

Its a bit of a technicality but Grady was not a Butler but a caretaker type character. I barely remember that scene though.

I dont see those characters, except for the last movie, as crazy.

Really the whole movie. Of course you know Jack isnt right because he has conversations with a bartender who, most likely, wasnt really there but we cant say for sure. The fact he was a recovering alcoholic had something to do with that though.

Its fairly complex movie and you may have watched it when you were young. There was also dark humor where you really didnt know if Jack was a good guy or a bad guy. Its the slow progression into insanity but we just dont know if he was really insane and the place exacerbated that, due to the isolationism\cabin fever or if it was due to something else.

I think the kid had real shinning ability (which was obvious) and Jack was somewhat jealous of this ability. But Jack was susceptible to other things and they took advantage of this...WHY? because they are known to be malicious. It was a combination of things though, i think jack allowed these rthings to happen to him but it was only a matter of time. They latched onto him, they would have stuck with him too and even after he left the man was doomed. They had his number.

I realized it was a published list after i posted and figured i'd just let it go.

To add to that, Grady has Shinning ability too. If Jack could shine he wouldnt have gone insane, most likely. But...idk, Jack was not worthy of shinning and had too many weakness\baggage to be worhty of shinning.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  18. IamJoseph Banned Banned

Jaws

night of the living dead [when it first appeared]

exorcist "

19. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

I assume your refering to the original theatre release of jaws where they didn't have the music before the shark attacks?

20. skaught The field its covered in blood Valued Senior Member

The very first Texas Chainsaw Massacre. It's so freaky the way Jim Siedow consoles that girl while they have her tied up and are about to kill her. It's like she's just a piece of meat to them, and they absolutely can't be reasoned with.

Faces of death. That movie truly disturbed me. Nuff said.

21. birch Valued Senior Member

22. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I've never been one for the genuine "horror" movie genre, but there have been some great "terror" movies that never crossed the line into the supernatural. "Open Season" was perhaps the best, about a group of Vietnam veterans who, well I'll let Peter Fonda's character say it: "Once you've killed people, there's no thrill to any other kind of hunting." It eventually revealed itself as a revenge plot by the father of one of their victims. No blood and gore at all, but terrifying.

"The Penthouse" was pretty creepy, although I don't remember it as clearly. It was full of really scary scenes with ordinary mortals. Again, proving that you don't need to be gruesome to be terrifying.

Then there was "Race with the Devil," another Peter Fonda film--for a while I thought he was going to specialize in terror, although this time he played one of the good guys. A family rents a motor home for their dream vacation, lose their way and stumble into a community of--satanists? who knows? First they discover that they're being followed, and as the plot unfolds they discover that rather a lot of people in a rather large area are in on it. Nicely directed, great ending scene. No gore, very little blood. But terrifying.

23. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

The Exorcist. I re-watched it recently and it still gives me the chills.