Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by kmguru, Nov 16, 2009.

1. kmguru Staff Member

Saw on Saturday...I really enjoyed the mother of all disaster movie...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Pinwheel Banned Banned

Looks like my hometown on a good day.

Seriously, I live in a hellhole.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. sifreak21 Valued Senior Member

i think something major will happen in 2012 i dont think its like the complete BS 2000 computer crash witch had 0 relivance ever to it besides paranoa.. there have been 4 or so civilizations that have it written something major hapening in 2012 and countless prophets and may didnt even know about the other perdictions..

is the world going to blow up? i dont think so, how ever i do believe somethin major is going to happen, there is to much out there to be coincidence, from the eclipses, to yosemiti to the solar flares to allt he ancients. what it will be? we can only speculate but i do think something is comming, and people should start taking things a bit more seriously

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. kmguru Staff Member

The premise of 2012 is that neutrons heat up the core of the Earth form massive solar flares which is actually going to happen in 2012. Normally the neutrons harmlessly pass through Earth. So, if something happens, it may be unpleasant for us like the satellites going down, power black outs etc. But not the level that is shown in 2012. But it makes a fantastic and great drama worth seeing.

The 90% science is there, the acting is there and great special effects. Go see the movie and tell us what you think.

8. CptBork Valued Senior Member

How can you say the 90% science is there if it relies on solar neutrons doing something they never do?

9. CptBork Valued Senior Member

I'm sure it's highly questionable as to what dates and when any civilizations might have made such predictions. You have to be careful when listening to the doom sayers, they have a way of playing fast and loose when it comes to reading cultural tales and trying to squeeze unifying predictions out of them. Think of Nostradamus for example- his passages are interpreted at will by people on a regular basis to look like he predicted everything from the OJ Simpson murder to the 9/11 attacks.

10. John99 Banned Banned

how long have we been able to view solar flares and also record them? meaning are they more prevalent or have we just not seen them? i will go with the latter.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
  11. theyoung Registered Member

Agreed. But it is also interesting that people like to focus on endings rather than see the obvious. As atronomy can predict the earth's position in 2012, so can it predict the earth's position in 2013. 2012, is just another year.

12. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

Solar flares are BS.

First off, with all four super advanced technology we can't predict a solar flare a couple of hours into the future, how could the mayans that could barely chuck an arrow in a forward line predict one what? 5000 years into the future?

Eclipses happen all the time, the next one to happen I believe is over Oregon in 2016, and we are very good at predicting them.

The whole super giant planet coming at earth is also BS because we would have spotted it by now, and keep in mind the first ever effective telescope was built by Galileo and he could barely make it details of saturn, how could the ancients make out that planet that was much, much farther away?

And even then, the Mayan calender simply ends on 2012, when the calender on your wall is about to run out, do you go screaming that it's the end of the world? I hope not, you just go to the dollar store and buy a new one.

Now the most likely thing I can think of is that with all of the hype, someone will think of doing something big, ie, releasing a deadly disease in New York, not because the ancients predicted that they would, just because they figured it would be so much cooler to have some historical irony behind what you did.

To be honest, I am willing to put some money on someone doing something on 2012, but chances are that something will be small, like maybe killing a couple of people, or sniping some people. that sort of thing. I find it unlikely someone will get their hands on smallpox or even a nuke.

13. sifreak21 Valued Senior Member

solar flares are bs? i think not.. they have been shown to cause blackouts messe with cell signals and electronics.. far from just something to make people go aww.. as for the movie i saw it last night and its very good.. and im not saying that we are going to have crust destableizations but i do think something will happen,

and solar flares come in cycles and science can predict them, the mayans found out the how long the year was within seconds just by lookin at the stars, and as for the eclipses there will be 3 in 2012 which doesnt happen very often,

I agree with you that the calander just ends. but they have predicted something happening on that date.. and is it just coincidence that it ends in 2012 and may prophets and other civilizations perdict somethign happening in 2012?

There is alot about this universe that we have no clue about and to be hones without our technology we are nothing, ancient civilizations perdicted things far in the future with amazing accuracy. we couldnt do that today i dont think, just like we wont beable to build anytyhing like puma punku which is a marvel in itself and the mystery that surrounds that and the great pyrmids

14. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Re-read it.
    The prediction of solar flares by the Maya is BS.

1) the calendar doesn't "end", it's a cyclic calendar - it restarts at 0.
    2) there are and have been predictions of the end of world for just about every year in history. And not one of them turned out to be true. (Although that may come as a surprise to you).

No they didn't.

What utter nonsense.
    We can't do better than they did now that we have our technology?
    What did they use then?

Also nonsense.
    If they built so can we.

15. sifreak21 Valued Senior Member

1.The Maya predicted the return of “Kukulcan” a white bearded god from the East
    The Spanish conquistadors arrived on queue. It would appear the Maya were not expecting a god that would nearly wipe them out since they welcomed the conquistadors with open arms

2.The Mayan Calendar predicted a total solar eclipse in 1999, it occurred on schedule

3. The Mayan Calendar predicted an eruption of cosmic energy rays from the back hole would occur in 1992, twenty years prior to 2012. This energy would help create aggressive sun spots and bring increasingly hotter temperatures to Earth. We are now witnessing the affects now and our pollution is only making things worse. The cosmic energy rays were witnessed and confirmed in 2004.

4.The Mayan Calendar predicted a change of consciousness from left-brain thinking to right-brain thinking (Logical to Intuitive) in the same time period as above. Further, some deduced the melt down of the worlds paper currencies in a period between Nov. 2007 and Oct. 2008 as humanity loses confidence in the abstract (paper currency) and embraces the more concrete, such as gold and other precious metals : They are both in process.
    There is no “End of the World” Maya prophecy; Rather, they predict an “End of the World as we know it”. Great changes are expected to happen, including more natural disasters followed by a change in consciousness and a time of peace.

copied from a sight as i didnt want to type it all out in my own words

16. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

And the Conquistadors were white-bearded?
    Evidence?

Yeah, pretty crap as a prediction wasn't it?
    Left out the important bit.

That's an astronomical prediction, not quite the same.

Pure crap.
    Provide a genuine link, otherwise that's some crackpot fitting facts to text AFTER the event and skewing the meaning to what he wants it to mean.

Also crap.
    New-age crap.

And that site would be...?
    A verified data scientific site or a woo woo site?
    Let me guess.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
  17. sifreak21 Valued Senior Member

copied from a msg board has sights to go to where he got it. if you honestly dont believe that the myans and other ancient civilizations had a greater understanding of the univers and stars than we did i cant argue with ignorance, if you also believe nothing is going to happen to the human race you are also ignorant, there are hundereds of viruses that if they mutate/evolve to infect humans you can wave goodbye to a majority of our species, the black plague was one of the less harmful ones and look at what that did..

also yosemiti national park u know its a supervalcano u know its in the red zone as sience has proven then you also know that these no sugnificant solar flares can cause it to errupt all coincidence right?

maby nothign will happen in 2012 maby myan calandar was wrong about every thing but since you know so much about subjects ans this.. explain to me puma punku ill await your response.. cuz i dont even think you will beable to explain that

18. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Correction, you're arguing from delusion.
    How did they get this "greater understanding of the univers and stars"?

And you're making specious arguments.
    I didn't say nothing is ever going to happen, simply that the 2012 prediction is a (in)valid as every other one that's been made.

IF it erupts then yes, it'll be coincidence.

Explain what about it?

19. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

See my red comments.

20. sifreak21 Valued Senior Member

it was off topic about puma punku fact is no one can explain how the work was dont where it came from or how it got there. lines and cuts are to percice to not be machined..

as for yosemiti its not a matter if its a matter of when..

they got a greater understanding of the stars.. in the fact everything they predicted persay months days years came from the stars

21. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Isn't it the real fact that you're ignoring everything in the relevant thread? Including repeating false weights that have already been corrected.

IF it goes in 2012.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

What on Earth makes you think they had a greater understanding of the stars?
    In no way at all did they have a greater (or even equivalent) understanding.
    That supposition is pure bullshit.

22. sifreak21 Valued Senior Member

because i dont have the time to go thru and look up facts so i stand corrected 2012 is a crock of s$@t nothings going to happen all the data that points to 2012 is crap and all data that points to 2012 is crap

well first the lay out of the myan city each temple was built aimed at a star, the great prymids point at oryans belt? some star system and are less than 1 deg from true n s e w how was this accomplished without compas? we would have a hard time today making somthing that magnificant that accurate with even todays technology.. and we still dont know how they were built

23. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

So what?
    The stars would be visible every night (weather permitting).

Stated to be less.
    I don't know the actual figures but (apart from lodestones - not sure when they were introduced) have you considered the fact that once you have just ONE direction more or less located (Pole Star maybe?) then the others are simply 90 degrees away from that first line?

Rubbish.

We don't know exactly how they were built.
    Again, so what?
    Science is a learning process.