Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by kmguru, Nov 16, 2009.

1. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Religion appears to be the common denominator. You insane theists have had control over the world for centuries. We blame you and your insanity.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

an inherent genetic defect is the common denominator, and your egotistical lying finger pointing is a manifestation of such. thanks for the demonstration.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. jpappl Valued Senior Member

Lori,

So you call everyone naive for not believing an un-supported statement and then say you have no idea. wtf Lori.

Please provide your evidence for the populations being whittle down to next to nothing. What time periods did this occur since per you it was again and again.

Do you think the story of noah as presented in the bible is even close to being reality. If so, please explain how it was possible.

In fact the bible does record the beginning, that is exactly why it is so full of sh*t. Because it got it wrong on just about every level.

"Day 6 - God created the animals to fill the earth. On day six, God also created man and woman (Adam and Eve) in his own image to commune with him. He blessed them and gave them every creature and the whole earth to rule over, care for, and cultivate. "

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. jpappl Valued Senior Member

Have a good time, hopefully things go smooth.

I understand the reason for the 2012 date is the re-birth of an important leader who was killed, be-headed and is supposed to return in the year 2012. So it's not supposed to be an end of the world story but a new beginning, which you should appreciate.

However, the f8cked up thing for the mayans is that they didn't make it to see the renewal which is irony isn't it. They have every believer here on pins and needles and they aren't going to be around to not see the re-birth of their great leader.

So, apply that to other belief systems based on nothing but the ramblings of ignorant fools over the past 5000 years.

8. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

i would appreciate a new beginning...for me personally, and for all of humanity.

9. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

that doesn't mean it was the first time or the last time. people just assume that.

10. jpappl Valued Senior Member

But what or where is the evidence to justify believing that it has started over again before.

It makes more sense, lacking evidence to the contrary that it did not. This is the point, why believe something were there is no evidence over that which has evidence to support it.

There is evidence of people and societies being destroyed or lost but it's not on a global scale which is only supported by local catastrophes, you know like the tsunami in 04, 240,000 people lost, but there are still another 6 + billion unaffected.

So it's not an assumption, it's following the known facts and to keep following the facts as more is known and discovered.

11. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

Well of course its cyclical, 60 million years ago there was an asteroid impact, i believe 140 million years before that there was another.

Lori, even if it were cyclical, wed need to wait I think 80 million years

(I am probably off on those figures somewhat, I heard about them a long time ago)

Lori, even then, the last mass extinction was 60 million years ago, how the hell could the mayans know exactly what had happened, and when it would again?

I cannot believe you guys are trying to say the Mayans know more about space and the universe than we do, hell, 1 hour on google and I could learn more than the Mayans even dreamed possible.

12. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

Oh please Lori, religion especially christianity has had an amazing habit of f****** up other people's lives.

The crusades
    The inquisition
    the witch hunt
    the thousand year long dark age caused by the church supressing intellectuals.
    Destruction of the indians
    Holocaust

Religion has destroyed a ridiculous amount of human kind.

13. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

Lori, if 2012 if armaggedon, it means youll be dead too.

What? just because you think your so special you would survive?

14. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

Lori, it is not cyclical. It never has been. The oldest bible in the freaking world is 2000 years old. What makes you think that such a recording would be billions of years older than that?

Nothing is going to happen in 2012.

There is no proof, no completely accurate and scientifically plausible proof that anything will happen in 2012.

15. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

What is wrong with humanity can be summed up with people like you.

16. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

No, not humanity, just society. It's messed up because it has rapidly inflated due to an input of energy derived from fossil fuels, and our expectations have become unrealistic. Humanity will go on for a long time more, but our way of life will change. That change could be either relatively smooth or catastrophic, and history shows catastrophe is much more likely.

17. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

but, humanity was fucked up before that spider.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

humans have been fucked up for as long as history has been recorded as far as i can tell.

18. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

"people like me" lol...

yeah, i'm not exempt.

19. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

i don't. that's my point.

you don't know what's going to happen any more than anyone else does. my point though, is that it is completely naive to think that something that catastrophic couldn't happen.

20. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

That's not very long actually.

21. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Exactly.

No, you're being naive - look at the point of the thread or to be more specific the point of the ensuing conversation, the thread, ostensibly, is about the movie.
    Something catastrophic could happen tomorrow. No-one's denying that, or that it could happen in 2012.
    What IS being denied is that the catastrophic event (should it occur) has been predicted by the Mayans (or anyone else).

22. jpappl Valued Senior Member

Exactly, they never fell off the be good wagon, there was never a moment that we went from good to bad. We have been bad forever because that is what it took to survive in the world our ancestors lived in.

It was take and take some more, always. It is you or me, your family or mine, even when we tried to get along to help each other and we understood the advantages of doing so, it still came down to me over you at times.

Example, you and I have children dying of starvation, think primitive humans, are we going to fight each other over the little bit of food left, you betcha. We would kill each other if that is what it took.

It's not new or changed, it is who and what we are and have been to survive under difficult circumstances over millions of years.

Fighting animals, weather, disease, hunger it goes on and on, animals deal with this daily, we have just gotten to a point where we have more control over these things but not absolute control. We have come a long way from the trees and caves but not that far.

Why do we have canines Lori ?

Think about that question long and hard because it falsifies all of the other ideas except evolution.

23. jpappl Valued Senior Member

I agree