Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by kmguru, Nov 16, 2009.

1. sifreak21 Valued Senior Member

ok i can respect that

nostradomis has had a ton of coincidences then lol

with your statement
    "prophets dont exist expect in their own imagination and thoes of the gullible"

so i am assuming here. that you are talking about people that believe in that where there is no evidence

that being said shouldnt you group religion in there? as there is no evidance at all of the bible or anything that it says being true? assuming thast what you meant. all people who have faith in a higher power are gullible?

or did i go off in the wrong direction

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Actually no. No coincidences with Nostradamus AT ALL.
    The stuff he wrote is so obscure that whatever meaning comes out of it is decided AFTER the "significant event" by whoever's reading it at the time. And even then most of the "predictions" require some pretty convoluted "thinking".
    Basically Nostradamus wrote gibberish and people (especially the gullible) find their own meaning in it.

I would include religions/ religious believers in that, but you only mentioned prophets

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. jpappl Valued Senior Member

I know you have you reasons but again your referencing flawed sources for the end of the world scenario.

We know it will end one day and hopefully we will be off this planet when it does, but to assert someone knows how and when is absurd, you are placing god like powers in them and in humans in general.

If it is as you believe, only god knows the answer, correct ?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. phlogistician Banned Banned

It's Mother Teresa (no H in Teresa) and hardly. I'm not a wizened old biddy who opposes common sense contraception.

8. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

yeah, i don't know when. nobody knows when. i was addressing people who just can't fathom it ever happening.

9. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

how many assholes want to stop being assholes?

10. jpappl Valued Senior Member

Well yeah, to say it will never or could never happen is asinine.

I agree that nobody knows when which makes the whole discussion about the mayans kind of mute.

Depending on what the blow will be, we might have some prior knowledge but most likely it won't be very much time.

But the hope is to move us far enough along to spread out reduce the risk of extinction. Good luck with that eh.

11. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Is this thread about the 2012 movie???
    Anyone here seen it? Are the special effects better than the story?

12. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

It started out as one.

Yes, but not me! Check the first post.

That's how I read the OP.

13. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

i saw it. the story and the effects freaked me out. probably more than the average joe because i'm so apocalyptic-minded. john cusak is still a cutie.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

14. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

are you going to be seeing The Road?

15. synthesizer-patel Sweep the leg Johnny! Valued Senior Member

woo hoo! pseudoscience here we come.

I'd love to see your evidence of mayan cities being aimed at stars - I've seen similar "evidence" before and it turned out to be a crock - in fact even the guy who proposed it (Graham Hancock) admitted that he was wide of the mark - what he did was selectively pick datapoints that fitted his hypothesis and ignore datapoints that didnt fit.
    I'd be willing to bet a blowjob that your "evidence" was similarly produced

The old story about the Giza pyramids being lined up with Orion is similarly a crock of flyblown worm ridden dogshit. they are laid down the wrong way round, and the angles between the pyramids and the angles between the stars in Orion's belt dont match.

its debunked nicely here (in 5 parts):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqD32EGBMFo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWQFQmgEHKo&NR=1
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-4xcrpuTU0&NR=1
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4eaqVVbwto
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hebu3rMSmwA

Finally how can we trust Mayan predictions about our demise when they failed to make accurate predictions of their own?

16. phlogistician Banned Banned

Bada Bing! Thankyou, and good night.

17. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

i haven't heard of it. i'll go watch the trailer right now...

18. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

looks pretty good...

19. sifreak21 Valued Senior Member

the mayans were scientists persay and a good scientists will admit when there wrong that being said.. many cures for diabetes where tried after one failure did you write science off and say we cant trust anything they say?

on a smaller scale if your a sports fan you have said you think a team is going to way or even said they will win without a doubt and lose does that mean everything you say about that particular sport after that cant be trusted at all? the sport being civilizations

20. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

The imagery is very good. The story, well, anyone cares about the story? I'll tell you, the dog doesn't get killed.
    Some shit can and eventually will happen to humans. If it is going to be natural or human made, that is the question but it is not if but when...

21. phlogistician Banned Banned

Did you mean per se

Did you mean they're

Did you mean you're

Oh, and learn to capitalise.

22. EndLightEnd This too shall pass. Registered Senior Member

You understood what he was saying, the message he was trying to convey; these are just grammatical errors. You made no effort to respond to the post itself.

Tell me, whats the point of a post like this other than for your own ego? You cant tell me you honestly have the intention of helping this person improve their grammar?

23. phlogistician Banned Banned

It's simple. I find that people who cannot be bothered putting effort into their posts, or even learning their own language (I'm assuming English is this person's first language, as these are common mistakes amongst native speakers.) they don't put much effort into verifying facts, doing research, and are generally more fond of whacky theories.

It's being dealt with quite aptly by others.

It's not egotistiical to expect people to put some effort into their posts. Also, if nobody corrects this person's grammar, they will continue to get it wrong, and continue to be taken less seriously.