Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by kmguru, Nov 16, 2009.

1. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Not even close to being scientists, let alone good ones.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. kmguru Staff Member

Same reason....

Just because BillyT made the prediction about the meltdown of American economy by 2011/12, does not mean the government is listening. And when the Meltdown happens, everyone will be scratching their head.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. phlogistician Banned Banned

And should it happen to coincide with 2012, it will have been foreseen by the Mayans?

Fuck me, wouldn't 9/11, Black Monday, Pearl Harbour, or any single REAL disaster that HAS transpired been worth predicting?

Why is it all you woowoos place more value on predcitions that are yet to happen?

Oh yeah, 'cos stuff that didn't happen , well, didn't .

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. kmguru Staff Member

Do you know what a prediction is and how it is calculated? Do you know that your mind predicts correctly when you catch a ball, or grab a door handle, or drive a car? With out your minds ability to predict ahead you will not be able to live.

Now super long term predictions are a different animal. It may be a coincidence that the Mayan calendar stops in a 11th year solar spot cycle and galactic alignment (whatever that is), but they did not predict America's economy is going to crash. We are.

Other than our economy is crashing (it is man made - cause and effect), no one can know if sun spot cycle will cause massive neutron discharge that will cook the earth. If the neutron is generated at a Billion times normal, it would cook us (as in Neutron bomb). That is no more likely than a pulsar pointing our way to cook us to death. The odds are astronomical but lightening does strike people and sometimes twice.

8. phlogistician Banned Banned

When I catch a ball, I can see it coming. Get that? SEE it, a real physical object, really moving. Years of experience, repeatedly catching balls give me muscle MEMORY. I.E. the event has happened so many times before, it becomes PREDICTABLE. Not so with end of teh world scenarios.

Clearly it is, as the Mayans wouldn't have had a clue about sun spot activity.

So you admit you don't know what you're talking about.

Who is we? And no, you didn't predict it, nobody did, because is happened. See, when you are driving, to re-use your own analogy, if you see an obstacle in the road ahead, you can avoid it, can't you? You did not avoid the problems with the economy, so clearly, nobody saw it coming.

It's neutrons now is it? Please, go peddle your woo woo somewhere else.

9. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

It was neutrino bombardment correct Phlo? According to the movie, the super solar flare dramatically increased the neutrino emission which had an unpredictable effect of causing the Earth's mantle to become less consistent, and cause "hyperactive" tectonic plate shifts. Something of that sort.

10. alpinedigital Registered Senior Member

Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  11. kmguru Staff Member

It will take a text book and pre-requisite courses to explain System Dynamics to you. Audit a graduate course in Control Theory - or better yet take a course that is open to business executives called "Business Dynamics" in MIT, then you will get it.

The passengers saw it coming but the driver decided not to listen and rolled over. See our economy issues at economyincrisis.org that have been harping for quite sometime.

12. milkweed Valued Senior Member

SPOILER
    Dont read if you plan on seeing the film

I saw it. I went because the special effects looked good in previews this summer.

Why do all these shows (when they mention wisconsin), no one wants to live there?

Woody Harrelsons character could have been more involved.

I thought Glover (president) was flat.

Oliver Platt always does sleez well.

I would have like to have found out what happened to the cruise ship and I guess they just left us with the wave and we should figure all's not well.

I still think at least one kid should die in these end-of-the-world flicks. Thought we were gonna see it with the russians (and thought that figures)

There is no doubt in my mind, if an end of the world scenario (such as an asteroid) were to happen, they (government) would do just like this movie. Best if the unwashed masses are excluded. I think they tippy-toed around the gov reality.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  13. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I was ok with the movie til I saw them saving giraffes, elephants, etc.
    Hell NO!!! Stock my ark with cows, pigs, bunnies....anything I can eat. If giraffes were meant to be saved they would have learned how to build an ark

14. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Erm.. can cows, pigs or bunnies build an ark? Or can you, for that matter?

15. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I can build a better ark than a giraffe. And I can eat the cow, pig, and chicken while I do so.
    Why the hell save a few giraffes? :shrug:

16. alinko Registered Senior Member

im not really sure of this statment but hey ill give it a shot, how can the world end if scientist is sure that evolution is goin to happen? or has it already started, it all cant end just when it is just begining well maybe

17. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Ah but what if the Cow, Pig and Chicken managed to evolve to climb tree's, at least with a giraffe you'll have something to shimmy up to get them back down with a club to eat.

18. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Better may not be sufficient

And you could eat the giraffe as well

19. Zephyrus Registered Member

I'm really getting tired of 'just in time' movies. Must be getting old...

20. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

wouldn't chickens and bunnies be better? At least something that has more than one baby at a time or produces something extra (like eggs/milk)