25% Mail Quote Remaining - Outlook issue

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by wegs, May 1, 2019.

1. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

I've been getting an email sent to me for the past couple of weeks, on my work laptop stating that I have "25% of my quota remaining". I've asked IT to help with this issue, and they simply tell me to empty my trash folder, or delete messages that I don't need. I've emptied my entire trash folder, and just received this message, again. IT is stumped and said ''that should've worked.''

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Any thoughts on how to stop these emails? I'm concerned that I'm running out of space, and then I won't receive important emails. Not sure what else to do.

Can a mod please edit the typo in the title? Should read ''quota'' not quote.

Last edited: May 1, 2019
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Seattle Valued Senior Member

One way would be to just use another email reader other than Outlook.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

That's an option, but still doesn't make sense. It could be an email glitch, and I'm receiving emails in error, but everything could be fine with my quota.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Seattle Valued Senior Member

I don't know about your set up but I've never heard of an email quote. I know if you recent message in various forum there can be limits but for your email server? Is it just a work related thing? I don't think it has anything to do with Outlook then. I don't use Outlook but isn't that just the reader for Internet Explorer?

wegs likes this.
  8. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Yeah, I think Seattle is right. It's your IT that sets up the quota.

But that's moot, since it's still an issue of Outlook not purging its cache of emails. IT is not going to up wegs' quota simply because her can;t purge old emails.

Internet Exloder is just a browser. They are unrelated. Outlook is a mail client.

Frankly, I find it to be such a pig that I've purged it in disgust and switched to Thunderbird.

But that doesn't help wegs either.

wegs, there may be some things you can try. Is your trash folder actually empty? Is there a way to trigger a compaction? Try moving a few things around, to see if it triggers an update in your mail count.

Also, you may be storing your email server-side. That might be why purging it locally doesn't help. But your IT should know that.

wegs likes this.
  9. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Dave, how do I know if my trash folder is completely empty? A box pops up and states that if I delete items in my trash, then they’ll be “permanently deleted.” So I’m assuming they’re deleted but how would I know, besides seeing that the folder is empty?

10. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Yeah. That.

11. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Well, then it's empty. lol I didn't receive any further ''warning'' emails this afternoon so we'll see.......

12. Seattle Valued Senior Member

I think the pixie dust may be jamming up your computer

Have you checked the pixie dust?

wegs likes this.
  13. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

I hadn't thought of that.

Seattle likes this.
  14. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Just received another warning email. Wtf???

I hate you, Outlook.

15. Seattle Valued Senior Member

If we don't hear from you anymore we'll know that something went horribly wrong...

16. Seattle Valued Senior Member

I think you need to uncheck the box that says "leave email on the server". It's under settings and then advanced or something like that.

17. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

IT checked my settings and still can't figure it out.

I'm still able to receive and send emails, but I just remembered that the server went down like two weeks ago, and it affected everyone's Outlook in the US. Shortly after that, like within a few hours, these emails started coming in.

I should just be able to take off however long it takes, until this is fixed.

18. Seattle Valued Senior Member

I give you permission. I'll write a note to your boss, no problem.

wegs likes this.
  19. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

You may need to go clean up your email on your Internet mail host server. I use both Outlook 2003 and Thunderbird, but routinely remove tons of crap from the ATT mail host server to cut the volume of junk. I go to ATT.net, log in, go to the mail server, delete everything junk then empty the trash.

wegs likes this.
  20. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

I'll try this, and will see if it works. Thanks

21. Seattle Valued Senior Member

I recently had a similar issue. Multiple times a day, I would get a message that says Windows needs to fix your account settings. When I click on it, it has something to do with Outlook (which I don't even use). I did some research online and it has to do with Microsoft wanting you to link a Microsoft account to everything. There is an option to login with a "local account".

If I choose that I still have to log in first, using a password which I don't even have, to make the changes. There is an option to click "Forgot your password" but I haven't forgotten it, I just haven't needed one. Either that or when I first got Windows one was required with a "remember option" and I chose that.

So I don't want to "change" a password and now be stuck with another password for no reason other than Microsoft trying to embed itself even more into my computer. You can go to "settings" and then there is some category about "email" and you can delete what appears there which is "Outlook" It doesn't delete Outlook from your computer it just removes some link. Now I don't get those messages 10 times a day and my email reader has not been affected (I'm not using Outlook though).

22. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

outlook is like the mutant child of microsoft windows
    it has some features which are built in to connect to other types of apps that you may not have.
    same with some features built in for possibly up-and-coming windows stuff.
    additionally it has some very shot-gun-wedding type arrangements with some ways it communicates with the operating system through alerts and other such features.

things like the message alert being picked up across platforms allows a HUGE hole in the side for hackers to walk right through.

trying to sell a product as free but corpratising its connections to manage all possible features all at once by shutting out other options by trying to be the one and only.
    its a very fickle way to build connectivity and has been the type of problem microsoft windows programing has been plagued with for decades.

IT sound like they are (incapable)not doing their job or are very bigoted(condescending attitude toward you/women/people).

3 outcomes and methods
    1 turning off the alerts
    2 increasing the size of your mail box data storage
    3 1 & 2 &/or removing old messages you dont want/mailbox clean-up

if i was going to run outlook on a personal pc i would crack it first and only run a cracked version to avoid all these types of easy hack attacks and software compatibility programming failures.

wegs likes this.
  23. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

network administrator alert for data limits inside outlook on large secure server networks.
    it is typically used for inside large corporate server environments where staff will otherwise start saving every single baby or pet picture and video and random projects that end up taking up MASSIVE amounts of data on a highly protected secure network server that in the end costs money to store and protect.
    when it really doesnt need to be.

it also helps mitigate and force compliance for staff to limit their email folder size on expensive network servers, by also reducing handshake mapping etc network traffic issues.

the fact IT cant solve it in 5 minutes(or at least pass it up to a coder to fix) tells me the IT people are a waste of money and time.