Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by Genji, Mar 9, 2007.

1. Sandoz Girl Named Sandoz Registered Senior Member

This is the first thing I read before I swooned!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

They freak you out? You are a chick right? That's like saying "I'm freaked out by my penis".

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Ben.

Genji's a dude.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

oh. Now it all makes sense.

8. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

Of course, now I know all about the "assume" thing...

9. cato less hate, more science Registered Senior Member

hey, does anyone know where I can find a screenshot of that sitar-playing goat in movie? that was the most awesome thing ever!

10. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

I've seen it!

The question I have for all of you is this:

1. Why not just have the ugly freak fight in his Army but only a short while, until he was killed, afterall there wasn't much point to his role except to be a traitor, but then could he really be called that if he warned them but they ignored him?

2. Why didn't they just collapse the cliff or something to keep the men from getting through it?

3. Finally, ummm what in gods name did the queen bang that gerk guy for? Did she really believe he'd go and agree in front of the council, and even then what could they do it would take days or weeks to amass an Army to support the King? All she ended up accomplishing was getting his semen inside her... this is sick kinda cuz the King wasn't the last one she slept with, crazyiness. How could she be so blind?

Anyways that's it, oh yeah why did the queen let him mount her like a dog, you'd think she'd at least of let him taker to a bed :L confusing..

11. G. F. Schleebenhorst England != UK Registered Senior Member

A right-wing texan complaining about violence?

The only thing different about that kind of violence and "modern" violence committed by your troops today is, well, at least back then they had the decency to do it face to face.

12. BBS Registered Member

It's been sold out for days around here....can't wait to see it..it's about diying a glorious death..the Spartans knew they couldn't defeat the Persians, but went for it anyways....ahhhh...chivalry,,,[could you call that chivalry even though they wer'nt knights?]

13. Poet~PriestOfNothing Registered Senior Member

luckily the area i live in people line up to see movies like big momma house... and not so much ones that might involve brains to understand so... its not exactly sold out here. in fact ive seen it twice at the theater by my house and both times it was almost empty... sad but true...

I thought it was brilliant. i love the way the movie was filmed. im no good at reviews so, i liked it! i liked enough to see it twice!
    and i guess thats all.
    -amber-

14. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

~4000 non-Spartans in this dust-up.

Still 4000 VS 100,000+++ is pretty damn impressive.
    The 300 Spartans(or however many was left - amazing few had died after days battling wave of 10000s and 40000s) and ~700 thespians stayed to die fighting at the end.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermopalae

Many battles were fought at the site. This land feature might well be the largest contributing factor in the rise of Greek culture and by-proxy, western culture.

BTW Ephialtes was probably not a hunchback nor did he offer to fight for the Greeks. His motivation was simply greed. Funny thing, after 480BC "Ephialtes" was to the Greeks as "Quisling" and "Benedict Arnold" are to us.

15. fadingCaptain are you a robot? Valued Senior Member

As long as you are aware this is a comic adaptation, its a pretty entertaining movie. Some of the action sequences were cool. If you liked braveheart or Troy, check it out for sure. I could have done without the thread about the queen and the king's shouting got a little comical (aha pun!).

*Probably spoilers below so stop reading.

Dark,
    Perhaps a slight jab to women/gays belonging in the military? Nah, the freak was bad news and should have been killed at birth like the rest of the abnormals.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Collapse the cliff? I dunno thats probably easier said than done. It wouldnt have helped as they found the backdoor path anyway.

I dunno. They whole queen thing was boring and silly I thought. When she stabbed him, some people started cheering in the theatre. Probably rabid feminists or something.

16. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Funny thing, Sparta in those days. Women had possibly more power than they do now. It was different though.

It was often accepted to bring lovers into the home without husbands getting pissed, female or male. It was even hoped children, at least ones that could pass the test of Mt Taigetos, would come of this.

Among some of the higher classes they would even offer wives (if willing) to carry children for other couples if no heir was yet born. This is long before artificial insemination.

17. G. F. Schleebenhorst England != UK Registered Senior Member

That's just completely stupid.

18. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Read "Life of Lycurgus" by Plutarch.

I believe it, basically it makes sense. To be so picky about children, Sparta needed many to choose from.

As for "Stupid", well at least for a time, it did work for them.

19. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

The other Wiki article (battle of Term...)gives around 7000:

" (5200)To this number must be added 1,000 other Lacedemonians mentioned by Diodorus Siculus[61] and perhaps 800 auxiliary troops from other Greek cities, bringing the total up to 7,000. Diodorus gives 4,000 as the total of Greek troops, and Pausanias 11,200.[62] Modern historians, who usually consider Herodotus more reliable, prefer his claim of 7,000 men."

Anyway, here is a little explanation (not to take away from the deffenders anything):

The battle was at a mountain pass, thus it was relative easy to deffend with a smaller force. Due to the lack of room, the Persians couldn't take advantage of their numbers, only by replacing them continiously. They were attacking in 10K waves.

This was the reason that they could held it for so long with relative small casualties...

20. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Perhaps 7000 yes, we can never know for sure. Certainly some were placed in other areas guarding the pass and so not all would be involved in the actual battle. Leonidas rotated troops also, I guess 7000 in total considering that, is reasonable.

The reason they held out for so long is they were superior warriors. The numbers did become moot because of the pass, however if Xerxes' Immortals were as good as the Greeks, they would have won on day #2.

21. Genji Registered Senior Member

I can't wait to see it. So Erotic in the previews! Plus I'm an ancient history buff and am fascinated in the pre Roman Mediterranean. Going outta town this Friday for a week so the NEXT weekend I hope to see it.

22. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

I might have had something to do with the fact that explosives weren't invented yet.

23. cato less hate, more science Registered Senior Member

I've
    you're a dumbass.

anyway, I warn people who (like genji) want to see it because they are history buffs. its not a documentary, its an exaggeration.

anyway, does anyone have a screenshot of that goat playing the sitar?