5000 Year old Beer Recipe:

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by paddoboy, Feb 9, 2017.

1. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

http://www.pnas.org/content/113/23/6444

Significance
    This research reveals a 5,000-y-old beer recipe in which broomcorn millet, barley, Job’s tears, and tubers were fermented together. To our knowledge, our data provide the earliest direct evidence of in situ beer production in China, showing that an advanced beer-brewing technique was established around 5,000 y ago. For the first time, to our knowledge, we are able to identify the presence of barley in archaeological materials from China by applying a recently developed method based on phytolith morphometrics, predating macrobotanical remains of barley by 1,000 y. Our method successfully distinguishes the phytoliths of barley from those of its relative species in China.

Abstract
    The pottery vessels from the Mijiaya site reveal, to our knowledge, the first direct evidence of in situ beer making in China, based on the analyses of starch, phytolith, and chemical residues. Our data reveal a surprising beer recipe in which broomcorn millet (Panicum miliaceum), barley (Hordeum vulgare), Job’s tears (Coix lacryma-jobi), and tubers were fermented together. The results indicate that people in China established advanced beer-brewing technology by using specialized tools and creating favorable fermentation conditions around 5,000 y ago. Our findings imply that early beer making may have motivated the initial translocation of barley from the Western Eurasia into the Central Plain of China before the crop became a part of agricultural subsistence in the region 3,000 y later.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

When I was a younger bloke, me and a mate were making our own beer: Hops, Sugar and Yeast and water is all we had from memory.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

The kits worked well also.
    Interesting beer has been around for so long.
    Alex

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. iceaura Valued Senior Member

"Tubers"? What the - - - ?

8. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

I played one when I was in the brass band.
    Tubers are great.
    Alex

9. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Is this the same recipe found carved on the rock knocked off from Mars by a comet?

Of course those who found the rock had no idea what the ingredients were, not being able to read Martian

But the pictograms showed what looked like a good party

So they guessed at pronunciation, picked a close sounding ingredient and got beer

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

Let's hope to hell you had some malted barley in there or it wouldn't be much of a beer!!!

Interesting article Pad.

11. billvon Valued Senior Member

It might have been dried malt extract that he used; it looks (and tastes) like sugar.

12. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Ummm yes of course!
    If anyone decides to make his own beer, let me impress upon you probably the most important aspect....sterilization of the bottles before bottling.
    I remember being woken up one morning with bottles bursting all over the place!
    But really, quiet an interesting hobby if one decides to take it on.

13. billvon Valued Senior Member

If you want to be a great brewer, you have to have an in-depth understanding of biology, chemistry and dishwashing.

But if you can only be good at one of those things, be a good dishwasher.

paddoboy and origin like this.
  14. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

Truer words were never spoken!

15. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

I used to brew Ginger Beer and as it multiplied, like The Blob, you would pass on half to friends

Forget about sterilizing the bottles

After a few sips I was worried it would sterilize me

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!