75 dead, 100 Injured in Latest Terror Attack in France

Discussion in 'World Events' started by madanthonywayne, Jul 15, 2016.

1. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Another terror attack has hit France.

Here's a video of the immediate aftermath (graphic): https://mobile.twitter.com/Daradol1/status/753713558849019910

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

I'm so tired of this crap. I don't want to see it. I don't want to spend a lot of time on it. They need to deal with it. Unfortunately, it's become just a normal part of life.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Who's they?

Ultron likes this.
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. C C Consular Corps - "the backbone of diplomacy" Valued Senior Member

"And so the world waits with bated breath to learn if requiring Rent-A-Truck-Euro to do background checks would have prevented individuals of a too prematurely determined origin with unclear motives from being involved in an ambiguous incident which possibly went a tad beyond moving furniture to a new residence." --Late night talk show host later castigated for inappropriate, recent headline-related sarcasm

joepistole likes this.
  8. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

France is the 4th largest arms dealing in the World.

There's a picture of a little girl, her mangled body in a body bag, with her doll lying on the ground next to her. I wonder: Will the media send her picture around the world, as it did for that poor boy who drown on the beaches of Greece?

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.

My suggestion to The Millennials, go long sun block.

sculptor likes this.
  9. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

The sad part is we are going to give the terrorists exactly what they want, oodles of media coverage. And they will do it again. They will keep doing it until they can't or we stop rewarding them with media coverage.

sculptor likes this.
  10. Dr_Toad It's green! Valued Senior Member

I don't know what to say about this. It's too terrible.

Fanatics are far too prevalent and enabled these days, and the terror campaign is absolutely winning. Just damned near everywhere.

ajanta likes this.
  11. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Glass Half Empty
    I think it was in the novel Stand on Zanzibar by John Brunner that I read half a century ago, that acts of terrorism are reported almost as asides, in the early chapters. It is part of a technique to convey how different a world the author is portraying where gross acts of terror are accompanied by a brief media flurry, then forgotten. It struck me at the time as a very unpleasant world in which to live. We seem to have arrived.

Glass Half Full
    We evolved to live in tribes of around one hundred people. Today there are over seven billion of us. For an ape that figured out that opposable thumb opened up real opportunities we have done not too badly. It will take several more generations to evolve the social skills to handle a global society, but the journey has begun.

12. sculptor Valued Senior Member

or, the engineering perspective:
    Glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

13. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

I doubt that not providing media coverage will cause terrorism to dry up and go away.

I think the publicity for world-wide empathy and awareness outweighs the downside of what the terrorists get from it.

14. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

The solution is obvious: Ban trucks, extend the State of emergency, pass a Patriot act, extend spying and take in a lot more refugees. Someone's got to pay for all the free shit.

15. sculptor Valued Senior Member

Seriously:
    There ain't a damned thing that you nor I can do about it.

16. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Well, that's not really true.

Alone, no. But great changes have been made in the world by individuals banding together to bring awareness to a cause that, though perhaps not right away, does make lasting change.

17. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Who said not provide any media coverage? There is nothing wrong with reporting the news and a terrorist event is news. What is wrong is to dwell on it for hours, days and weeks. Were it not for the coup in Turkey, we would be talking about the latest terrorist attack for weeks.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2016
    sculptor likes this.
  18. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

So, you're suggesting moderation is OK. Terrorists don't benefit from it if we show it in moderation.

I'm stil curious who the "they" is you mention in post #2.

19. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

this is probably more relevant than most would consider...aka "Globalization teething problems" and a huge global societal "evolution" or dare I suggest "revolution" issue on it's own...