__Ronald Regans speech on aliens

Discussion in 'Pseudoscience Archive' started by space__cadet, Mar 21, 2005.

1. Silas asimovbot Registered Senior Member

For Christ's sake, lets get sensible here. This was the most important polititian in the world. How likely is it that he would unveil all the UFO secrets of the United States in front of the United Nations?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. btimsah Registered Senior Member

I didnt say he did that. Just that he posed the question to the worlds. I do think he was relaying this BECAUSE of his knowlege of ETI/UFO. Thats just my personal opinion based on the amount of evidence that ETI evidence is top-secret.

If you wanna talk about sensible, I would say it's COMPLETELY un-sensible to think he was talking about AIDS in any of those speeches.

Leaving fanatical skeptiscm behind, it's a great question to ask. What did Reagan know about ETI, if anything? Why would he say this, if he knew nothing? Would he have said it? Etc, etc.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Silas asimovbot Registered Senior Member

Erm, not to be too obvious, but I think it's not unlikely that he got his "knowledge" of ETI from the movies.

My comment about AIDS was a reasonable deduction based on an incomplete knowledge of the whole speech and given the concerns of the period. I have already stated that I was wrong, why are you going on about it?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Silas asimovbot Registered Senior Member

Right, I've gone back over Tim's recent posts and I now see where the misunderstanding arises.

First of all, I wasn't actually debunking anything. When Reagan said "What if there were an external alien threat?" he clearly wanted to evoke a literal alien threat, as a metaphor. Then when he said, "But isn't there an actual universal threat?" I thought he was talking about AIDS, but he was apparently talking about war. Obviously if he was really talking about aliens at this point, they'd have just gotten him off the podium and into a straitjacket! I then said:
    This was not me disbelieving or debunking. Reagan saying "What if there were a universal threat?" and then saying that the universal threat is war - doesn't make any sense. But what I meant was not that it didn't make sense for Reagan to say that, I meant that Reagan said that and it didn't make any sense!
    I come in here and express my views that those things without evidence do not exist. I do it because I enjoy forming arguments in my head and then typing them into the screen. I'm not a "fanatical" debunker - I'm not a fanatical anything. I simply express my opinions, as everybody here is entitled to do.

I think you're making up some weird argument of your own here. First of all, I wasn't actually denying anything that Reagan said. Secondly you're dangerously close to implying that Reagan meant the following: "Imagine the world was under threat from aliens, we would put aside our differences and unite to defeat the common foe. But in fact the world is under threat from aliens! Watch the skies! Watch the skies!"

No, in fact what he did was use alien attack (something that is easy to understand, since it has formed the basis of a great deal of entertainment throughout the last century - despite btimsah's fantasies that the phrase "alien threat" in a speech means that Reagan must have seen secret files about aliens) as a metaphor for something that would unite the world, and then said that indeed there is a threat (a real one, not a hypothetical alien one) so the world should unite. But apparently the universal threat he was talking about was War itself. It is this that made no sense to me. How can the whole world unite to eliminate war? You have to eliminate war first in order to unite the world, because if war exists, clearly the world is not united yet!

Last edited: Apr 1, 2005
  8. btimsah Registered Senior Member

President Reagan said this same statement about the "threat of aliens attacking us, would unite us all", several times.

His question, was exactly that. What would we do if Aliens attacked us? We'd find out how stupid our little war's are. You can deduct all you want from his speeches about this. A big part of this might have been S.D.I. (missle defense shield) though, he did not mention it.

There is some evidence that evidence of ETI was discovered during the Reagan years, and that Reagan was aware of this evidence long before his mental issues. As well as President Bush (SR), who was the head of the C.I.A and then Vice President... and then of course President. When asked about weather aliens exist by a reporter he responded, "You don't know the half of it". Then there was the time when Steven Spielbergh was showing his movie, E.T. to the President. Shortly after it was over, Reagan reportedly leaned over to Spielberg and said, "That's the truth".

There are numerous little anecdotal stories involving that administration and aliens. I thought you were rulling out that Reagan could have been talking abotu ETI. When, that's EXACTLY what he was talking about.

9. Yonatan Registered Member

Even if Reagan believed in extraterrestrials, remember this is the same man who thought that trees caused acid rain.

10. 2inquisitive The Devil is in the details Registered Senior Member

Do you think what Reagan was speaking of possibly was distorted by some ignorant
    reporter listening to him? You know, like the sound bites the media seems to
    love, rather than getting into involved details.
    From the EPA:
    "Dry deposition refers to acidic gases and particles. About half of the acidity in the atmosphere falls back to earth through dry deposition. The wind blows these acidic particles and gases onto buildings, cars, homes, and trees. Dry deposited gases and particles can also be washed from trees and other surfaces by rainstorms. When that happens, the runoff water adds those acids to the acid rain, making the combination more acidic than the falling rain alone."
    http://www.epa.gov/airmarkets/acidrain/

I suppose you are also aware that Ronald Reagan had a personal UFO sighting, not related to knowledge of 'hangers' or such, but in his personal
    life. Once a person has witnessed something that defies his logic, not just a
    point of light in the sky, but something he can see well but cannot think of
    any reasonable explaination for, that person is not so quick to dismiss any
    possible causes that may seem controversial to others.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2005
  11. Goblin Registered Member

LOL, both Regan and Carter both claimed to have seen a UFO. Not an AIDs virus or aliens among us. Yes he did mean UFO/ET as in the movie Independence Day. And he was using it as an example of how petty our little quarrels would seem if we were all faced with an ET invasion.

I don't know why he kept using that in several speaches but he did.

Denial is a strong force.

12. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

The completed clause from Reagan:To the 42nd General Assembly of the United Nations, September 21, 1987
    There is no extraterrestrial "evidence" to be removed, and the first quote concludes
    2 minutes on google gave me this
    http://www.aaaa.demon.nl/military.html