A Lunar Rille

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by wet1, Oct 31, 2002.

1. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

A Lunar Rille
    Credit: Apollo 10, NASA

What could cause a long indentation on the Moon? First discovered over 200 years ago with a small telescope, rilles (rhymes with pills) appear all over the Moon. Three types of rilles are now recognized: sinuous rilles, which have many meandering curves, arcuate rilles which form sweeping arcs, and straight rilles, like Ariadaeus Rille pictured above. Long rilles such as Ariadaeus Rille extend for hundreds of kilometers. Sinuous rilles are now thought to be remnants of ancient lava flows, but the origins of arcuate and linear rilles are still a topic of research. The above linear rille was photographed by the Apollo 10 crew in 1969 during their historic approach to only 14-kilometers above the lunar surface. Two months later, Apollo 11, incorporating much knowledge gained from Apollo 10, landed on the Moon.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Rilles on Venus

Rilles are thought to be canals and/or collapsed lava tubes. Rilles can be found in Hawaii.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

Dumbies. I made those channels!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cornelius Registered Senior Member

Also, why all Moon craters are circular, either on our side or the opposite?
    This mean that all impact craters were made by meteors falling perpendicular on the Moon's surface from any/all directions?
    On Earth, in North (or South) Carolinas are eliptical impact traces, from meteors hitting tangential the Earth's surface; why not on the Moon?...............

8. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

I would imagine that there are several factors involved.

Earth has 6 times the gravity of the moon. It draws far more than the moon would. A good portion of these, the moon got in the way of. Because there is not a wearing agent on the moon to supply erosion at the rate of the earth, many of the craters you see are there from the early formation days when there were far more impacts than at the present day.

Earth has an atmosphere that will cause meteors that are not head on to skip, change trajectories, or even come in at an angle.
    The moon doesn't have that. Not the attraction, nor the ability to divert a rock. Not all impacts are direct but a goodly portion of them are.

Due to the earths weathering, many of the large impact craters are no longer visable on the surface. Traces of such are found while looking for oil. Others remain as lake beds. Some are in the sea. One such impact, in Canada is one of our main sources of platinum. The reason that the oil companies look for deep impacts is that the geology of the area is fractured. This allows seepage and collection pockets to exist.

Cratering shapes are a result mainly of size and velocity. There are places on the internet where you can look this info up. Some of the craters on the moon show rays, an interesting effect of the impact.

9. cornelius Registered Senior Member

Thanks for your answer; the shape of impact should be also a function of the angle under which the impact occur, a 90deg. will mostly generate a circular pattern, while a shallower angle - let say 30 deg. - will generate an almoust eliptical shape. It is true the weathering effect of the atmosphere will degrade the Earth marks, but still the initial shape may be recognizable.
    A meteor moving through space, will have a kinetic energy function of his mass and speed (MxV^2/2), which will be a factor when his trajectory will be deflected by a near body; a higher kinetic energy meteor will be deflected less then a lesser one, when passing at the same distance near a body (=mass), and if they impact, the first mostly will be not perpendicular onto surface, but tangential to, producing also an almoust eliptical impact pattern. My impression, is that for so many impact points to be circular, this mean (assuming that the meteors came in different masses and speeds), all need either to point directly at the Moon (comming from different directions, while the Moon is also moving), or to be slow (and/or lesser mass) when they are atracted by Moon and impact her surface at approx. 90 deg.

What do you think?
    Regards,
    Cornelius.

10. cornelius Registered Senior Member

May be the rays around craters, are the effect of the shockwave generated by the impact; assuming that the Moon is a solid body covered with cosmic dust (& boulders), at an impact, part of the energy will be transfered to the covering -almoust fluid- layer of dust, which -while the solid body (Moon) is vibrating- will change the shape, either adding or separating. However, the sinous rilles cannot be explained in this way, unless the dust is acting as a fluid and under vibrations (or other causes) start moving in the same manner as the Earth's water (rivers), looking for the pattern of minimal resistence. But this will require that this vibrations to occur over a long time, in order to have this river like shape. Interesting....
    Regards,
    Cornelius.

11. Delvinity Registered Member

Id agree that they may be ancient canals or maybe space rocks/asteroids that merely hit (grazed) that part of the moon and then continued off into space.

12. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

Nah. Drunk-driving aliens let go of the wheel for a bit too long to grab a mouthful or something and bam they knicked the moon. And then the Earth. They thought they were finished, but one kicked the other and so wham they hit Venus.

Then they flew into the sun. No more rilles.

13. Truth_Seeker Registered Member

Read what the Holy Quran (Muslims Holy Book) says:

"The Hour (of Judgment) is nigh, and the moon is cleft asunder.
    But if they see a Sign, they turn away, and say, 'This is (but) transient magic.'
    They reject (the warning) and follow their (own) lusts but every matter has its appointed time." Holy Quran (Chapter 54 : verses 1-3)

You can find the translation of Holy Quran here http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/quran/

Men of understanding should find the truth

Edit : I forgot to tell you that The Holy Quran was revealed 1400+ years ago. Also you can find more miracles here http://www.miraclesofthequran.com/

Last edited: Oct 2, 2005
  14. Dinosaur Rational Skeptic Valued Senior Member

I think I read somewhere that angle of impact does not affect the shape of the crater as much as intuition suggests.

Much of a crater is caused by explosive effects due to heat generated by the high velocity impact. The crater is typically much larger than the meteor which caused it.

Note that a slow moving spherical object object landing in a soft material like sand would not create an elliptical impact mark. It would be a tear drop shape, round at one end and pointed at the other.

The explosive effect of a high speed impact usually obliterates the pointed end of the initial impact mark unless the angle is far from vertical.

An analysis similar to the above and some supporting experiments were done about the time of the first moon landing.

15. Communist Hamster Cricetulus griseus leninus Valued Senior Member

Grr, you resurrected this thread truth_seekr. Didn't you look at the date of the last post?

16. Truth_Seeker Registered Member

Communist Hamster : You are correct but I thought you should know about it

17. vslayer Registered Senior Member

what exactly are you trying to prove, i see no link between that verse of the quran and these lunar rilles.

18. Wolf_Attack Registered Member

hi everybody
    That's my first message in that wonderful site, and I really glad to participate you in that topic, and from the beginning please ignore my mistakes in English cause it's not my language ... I just want to sign to what NASA announced in 2002 in it's own site about many photos taken form the discovery trip Appolo 10 in May 1969, this pic is just the descent place on Moon which appear many things about 'Quraan' and about muslims belief, cause Holy Quraan include more and much more miracles from 1400 years ago and till that day where are in and till the day of judgement ...

The opposers and disbelievers told to 'Mohammed' - the last prophet to all nations - : "If you're a truthful then cleave the Moon two parts", then he ask Allah (God) to do that and Allah responed with agreements ...

This situation was approved from many eyewitness and was written in an old trusted books like (Al-Bukharey, Al-Termezey, ...) which took and wrote the autobiography and memoir and his precepts and tradition ... plus Al-Quraan which it is the word of Allah the one, nobody changed it and even didn't try to do that along 1400 years cause Allah secure it from distortion cause it'll be the guidance till the day of judgement or as you say 'doomsday' ...

The cleft of Moon was determined in the precepts books which I signed it above and in Quraan, and in '69 was took a pictures appear there are a long rille on the Moon called "Lunar Rille", it just show the adhesion of the two parts after finish the miracle and Allah let that rille to tell us that the Quraan will be forever the last miracle and will not stop to prove more science discoverys, of course the people which lived in its era didn't meant a lot of thing about those future, and that signed in Quraan and not fortuity, and there are more more more science miracle in Quraan ...

I meant that Quraan told things from 1400 years ago the people didn't understand the true meaning of it, but they explained it and determined it by their level of mind as it were, ... and ... now after we discover many science topics or other things, we'll find that written in Quraan but we didn't see it ... I think it's clear now ... I hope that and repeat my sorry about my little English ...

I'm so pleasure to share you in that message and hope I can help you and make use of all you present, and special thanks to adminestrator and who assist to get ahead with this site

With my best regards
    Wolf Attack

19. Novacane Registered Senior Member

It's caused by someone or something dragging a huge Black stone monolith across the moon's surface a few million years ago. I think Arthur C. Clarke would know for sure.

Novacane