A Man Playing Pong / A Soul Playing Conscience

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Rantaak, Jul 23, 2006.

1. Tnerb Banned Banned

How do you know that.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

C7ityi_:

"To know that they are there you need a paranormal ability (clairvoyance, I think), I don't have that so I don't really know, I just believe but I'm not sure why I believe... maybe because enlightened people have said that they exist. "

How do you know they are trustworthy? Specifically when their findings are not verified by other sources of authority?

spidergoat:

"You say we cannot percieve this hidden actor, but only it's effects, which we call consciousness. But I ask you, can you even percieve your conscious mind"

Though this was not fielded for me, I thought I'd take a stab at it:

Can we not perceive our conscious mind through acting through it? Everytime I speak to myself internally, am I not perceiving my conscious mind?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Rantaak Registered Senior Member

[People are more exposed to subtle influences similar to hypnosis when in altered states. A far more banal reason for her choice of card could be found in that. Moreover, did you repeatedly have her draw cards you wanted?]

No, first try.

And I apologize, I don't mean that our souls are moral sense. I mean that they are consciousness. Thank you for clearing that up

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

No problemo Rantaak.

But just on one try is not very convincing in that one specific instance. Try doing it multiple times over, each time getting the card you want to be picked by the person. That would more acutely establish your powers if any exist.

8. heliocentric Registered Senior Member

Sometmes i think along these lines too, what if im just playing out a grand cosmic game where people are controlled in groups via hierarchies of higher consciousness with the intention of seeing what exactly we'll do if presented with a particular situation, will we get in line with the status quo or dance to our own tune?
    We already play these kind of thought experiments with each other, with other life forms and with our current rather crude AI. It would be the ultimate joke if the biggest thought experiment of all was being played on us by our own souls.
    Then again, ive yet to really see anything to suggest that this is the case, although ive come across other people (in print) who seem thoroughly convinced of it.

9. Rantaak Registered Senior Member

Woo. Finally someone has given me an interesting reply rather than fixing my spelling errors!

Anyway, yeah. That's something that drives me further towards hedonism. I mean, we're all really hedonists at heart, we just don't want to admit it. Whatever. Might as well enjoy it, right?

10. heliocentric Registered Senior Member

Actually i personally dont think we are hedonists at heart, i say this because i know some hardcore hedonists who are all about finding the next sensory experience to give them a bigger fix than the last.
    And theyre all in therapy, all have atempted suicide, in my experience hedonists are some of the most choronically unhappy people you could possibly meet.
    Which leads me to think that we cant be pleasure seekers at heart, because if we were hedonists would be the happiest people on earth surely?
    Having said that, ive nothing against hedonism, just as long as the price isnt someone else having a shit time. Responsible fun and all that

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Can you percieve the source of that internal dialogue?

12. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

Spidergoat:

As the calculator and the formulator of the thoughts and words necessary, one can surely tell that it is oneself. And even if one is stricked, one can point to oneself being tricked, and therefore show that there is a being capable of perception which one most surely is.

13. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I'm suggesting that you can't observe the observer any more than you can see directly the back of your head.

14. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

Spidergoat:

When one experiences pain buried deep into a limb or the torso, is it necessary to see the part which pains in order to know that it pains?