A new approch to mental illness [take 2]

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Quantum Quack, Jul 28, 2013.

1. kwhilborn Banned Banned

A few quick comments.

- Although you joked about cancer being caused by plastics, that would nor explain why we have detected cancer in fossil remains of dinosaurs, plants, and a bronze age woman. None of whom had ever heard or seen plastic.

- I have experience dealing with schizophrenics. My backpack adventures often put me near the street urchins and mentally ill. I do not think they have any advanced abilities, and I can vividly recall one woman who thought her families phone number was "7". One does not need to be mentally ill to see they cannot cope by themselves, and that is the main concern isn't it. We do not care if they live in a nightmare world as long as they can wipe their backside and pay rent every month. It is self sufficiency that gauges the illness.

- One point you make that I will agree with is that our society enables genetically inferior humans to breed and pass their DNA, and yes this could hurt the collective gene pool in years to come.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

fair enough

this is a very narrow view of the issue IMO , however you are entitled to it...

Inferior?? why do you think that?

[I never wished to imply that the genes are somehow inferior ]

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Lakon Valued Senior Member

That's an interesting way to look at it.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Beaconator Valued Senior Member

I'm not sure schizophrenia is akin to ESP... But both are certainly attributes associated with a high IQ. Schizophrenia could be caused by a high IQ not being accepted by the "common identity". Depression of a personal identity too intelligent for their own means.

A great study would consider all individuals having every mental disease in some form. Mental disease being a preference of individuality. A personal choice to exhibit certain behaviors so to speak. The classifications of which would consider IQ, personal background, and "triggers" of the fight or flight response responsible for a particular "disease" or choice of individual expression.

8. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

Welcome to the fora Beaconator!
    and IMO a truly excellent first post...
    The fact that you are prepared to look at doing a comprehensive behavioral/ symptom etc type study , that includes those reflexes that we know of so well is something I have not read of very often.

I believe, sensory therefore emotional "sensitivity" is a key issue and one worth exploring and one that is relevant to all persons and not just those diagnosed under the relative rules of Psychiatry.
    Especially how the trauma of hyper emotionality can increase that sensitivity and diminish mental coherence and subsequently intelligence in the form of IQ and other, simultaneously.

again welcome to the forum....

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. Beaconator Valued Senior Member

Simplicity is my forte. Thanks

10. Lakon Valued Senior Member

Unqualified opinion, yes, but no less off the mark ..

In the Daily Telegraph, today, 04 11 13, page 15, an article 'SMOKE AND MIRRORS' about how the recent draconian increases in tax, awful images in cig packets, etc, have completely FAILED to lower smoking rates, and have in fact, resulted in a significant increase in trafficking of illegal tobbaco by national and international crime rings.

(PS - can't seem to get the article off the DT site - could be copyright issues, etc. But it's there, and if you're in Melbourne (I think you are ?) it will probably be in their sister News Ltd paper which is .. I forget now)

Edit spelling

11. Lakon Valued Senior Member

LOL .. and just as I was flicking through looking for the above article, saw this one ..

CANBERRA SAUSAGE POLICE ANOTHER SNAG FOR THE BARBIE

The fundraising barbecue is a fine tradition, but trust Canberra to stuff it up .. under new ACT government regulations .. charities and sporting clubs that hold more than five fundraiser bbq's per year .. (now new legislation) .. etc.

Madness.

Edit - on page 13 of abovementioned paper

12. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

well I believe in Brazil, for example, a packet of 20 high strength quality cigarettes is only about $1.50 aud [sample Joa Pessoa 2006] where as in Australia a similar quality 20 pkt is over $16.00
    and yet the cost of psychotropic medication in Brazil is astronomical due to the lack of a strong social welfare system... [just guessing]
    Maybe crime syndicates can import black market psycho tropic drugs into Brazil while they currently import/export black ciggies into Australia...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

13. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

For many years medical scientists have known that humans are as most animals are reactive and sensitive to air born pheromones. In some cases the effect of sensing smells can be incredibly over whelming and debilitating. yet when you research for trials or serious discussion there appears to be none available on the net. Apart from pseudo sciences associated with Aromatherapy mainstream research appears to have missed this possible causation of aberrant mental states all together.
    I look for what would be logically and reasonably expected and I find virtually no information on the human reactive and sensitivities to air born pheromones and find virtually nothing has been done in this area for over 100 years since aroma-indicative behavior in animals was first discovered to be significant.

Often people will say for example that a lower order animal such as a dog or a shark has a greater olfactory ability than humans. I would strongly disagree with this. In humans the ability is deeply subconscious and extremely effective, as we are consciously devoted to actions that are more of volition [deliberate] than instinctive or deeply intuitive.
    The notion that some mental health issues could be caused by an underlying olfactory aroma reactive sensitivity seems not even to be controversial. As there appears to be no research worthy of comment. [yet knowledge of the potential has been existent for ages]

The other thing worth considering is that the olfactory gland [ bulb ] is often associated by Eastern traditions with the "minds eye" "inner eye" "imagination", "visualization" and is positioned in a similar position as the Gland it self.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  14. Lakon Valued Senior Member

Very interesting. I see your points here, and agree the whole issue is probably way under-rated. probably so as not to draw too much attention to the massive negative olfactory influences in todays industrialised world. A packet of ciggies ? Dangerous, sure. Even as dangerous, if not more so, may well be several hours of driving in one of our major highways, taking in all the exhaust fumes. Throughout the week, I occasionally have to drive a few hours north then back again on the same day - along the Newcastle express way and beyond - you probably know the one. Afterwards, I usually feel quite debilitated for a few hours, and it's not from the sitting, as I take measures to counteract that.

I once read an article from one of the science writers in the Sydney Morning Herald, that 'taking the smell out' of our petrols was one of the worst things for the respiratory system. When there was a smell, you knew it, and could try to avoid it. Now, no smell (except for the deisel) no impetus to avoid it.

15. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

what puzzles me though it is that the issue of mental health is such a HUGE issue. The cost on society is so large etc that I am totally bewildered as to why every possible avenue of research has NOT been undertaken.
    The possibility that human pheromones could significantly influence mental/emotional states has been known for ages. Yet along with other possibilities has been treated as either ignored or insignificant.
    I guess this in part a danger associate with the complacency of the medical scientist whose focus is on a medication regime that we see currently.??

If in ten years we find that indeed pheromones DO seriously implicate in psychotic states what are we going to say about the preceding 80 odd years? [Given the huge trauma associated with "victims " to these states]

16. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

Something that comes to mind also is concerning the issue of sleep deprivation and how that effects humans generally.
    Studies have clearly indicated that when "healthy" humans undergo extended periods of sleep deprivation, mental coherence and the manifestations of auditory and visual hallucinations occur. So much so that extended Sd trials were actually cancelled due to the severe risk associated with putting people through this sort of experimental exercise.

For observation most can see quite easily that those who are in a psychotic state are severely fatigued as well. Most patients having to endure years of interrupted and poor sleep leading inevitably to a break down in mental coherence.

I am sure there are many persons who could add to the above opinion...

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  17. river

just simply changing pillows is a step forward , and then the mattress , if you can afford it , however

but at least investigate pillows

18. Mazulu Banned Banned

How much mental illness is tied to death anxiety? Should we, as a culture... ...as a civilization, just accept the assumption of life after death? Maybe it's our own biology that pushes this issue which results in near death experiences. Or maybe it's true. In either case, would a cultural acceptance of it resolve some of the mental illness?

19. river

not really

20. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

I think you are quite right in as far as all humans hold intense death anxiety, for some it manifests in very strange ways including aberrant thinking and behavior. IMO

21. Mazulu Banned Banned

Why not?

22. river

because that would imply that the baby boomers have a problem with their eminent death

haven't seen the evidence that they have this anxiety towards death

23. Mazulu Banned Banned

I don't understand.