A new approch to mental illness [take 2]

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Quantum Quack, Jul 28, 2013.

1. Beaconator Valued Senior Member

Loosing someone close often excites the choices we ourselves undertake as mortals. We remember the loved one but we think of our own mortality. Aberrant is a good word for it if we are afraid to stand in front of ourselves.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

For some, death is the ultimate humiliation.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Mazulu Banned Banned

Maybe what we think is mental illness is really just a conflict between a person and the civilization that they live in. In the dark ages, killing other people was considered honorable and even necessary to survive and become prosperous. Were Genghis Khan and Alexander the Great madmen? Or highly successful historic figures?

A medium or psychic might give people hope and a deepened sense of meaning a few decades ago; but in our high tech civilization that we live in now, those people would be called charlatans, disreputable or insane.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

I agree, cultural context is incredibly important.
    I wonder how many Nepalese are diagnosed as mentally ill when they practice Buddhism [ Soma cave meditations ] or exhibit behaviors that the West would consider delusions. [sitting in a circle chanting "OMMMMM"]
    I wonder also how much more community support there is for those who may be deemed to have an "awakening" rather than the treatment that similar are given in the West.
    Yes it is definitely culturally relative for sure. I totally agree. IMO