A Question of Sovereignty

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by Mrs.Lucysnow, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Address your 20/20 hindsight???? Yeah, sure, but how could anyone have known how something might or might not have turned out? See?

Your hindsight is a really good, Lucy, but it doesn't address the real issue .....how can a government ever know what the future might be because of any of it's actions?

Lucy, if you want to show us all how fuckin' great you are, why not start right now and make a sticky thread .....and forecast all of the future results of all of the actions by all of the governments in the world?

20/20 hindsight is pretty good ....but let's see some 20/20 foresight, Lucy!

Baron Max

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

No Baron address the history. I know you lot don't seem to know too much about history but perhaps you can look at my examples and try. Show a little acumen for a change, a little knowledge. You haven't addressed one objective point so far my furry old beer filled curmudgeon

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I have to take a nap. I'll check with you later.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Saven Registered Member

It may be their own country.. but it's ALL of ours planet. They don't have the right to torture or kill whoever they like, as long as it is happening here on Earth.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

That's so cute, you think the 'earth' belongs to you.

You see Baron you guys are already isolated.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Maurice Pearson.
    The Knowledgeable State: Diplomacy, War and Technology since 1830.

9. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

Thanks Oli for the excerpt.

'The crusading element in American policy-making requires that conflicts are won, not that differences are accommodated;..'

Now I know why discussions on sciforums often mirrors this.

No but seriously, why do they not reform this tactic as it creates more problems than solutions? Or maybe they like the idea of creating chaos for other nations? Maybe they benefit from instability? But it doesn't look like it, everything now seems to be damage control. In many respects China's attitude to foreign engagement is much more straight forward, its exhange of resources and with no clauses, its a non-interference in foreign domestic issues

This download is an interesting paper on the internationals engagement, or lack thereof with Burma and the results on domestic policy.

http://www.chathamhouse.org.uk/publications/papers/view/-/id/49

Last edited: Apr 26, 2009
  10. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Pure fluke: I just started reading that book yesterday and that paragraph leapt off the page at me.

Is it not a side-effect of the "youth" of the US?
    It didn't grow up with neighbours the way, say France, did, with a centuries-long history of conflict and accommodation.
    America hasn't had to learn "diplomacy" the way European countries have: once the US took off it was large and isolated enough to have little more than its own internal problems and/ or fewer belligerent neighbours on an equal military footing.
    And then by the time the US moved onto the world stage in earnest it was sufficiently strong to continue with its own methodologies - and that continued use, in turn, contributes to the "no need to use the old-world" methods attitude.
    Possibly.

11. Saven Registered Member

The people you all are excusing from atrocities certainly think their countries "belong" to them, if they think that they have an inherent right to hurt other people because that's where they were born. I'm of the camp where either we all collectively own every part of the Earth, or no one owns it at all. The end result of those two perspectives is the same.