A quick question.....

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by cosmictraveler, Jul 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

A brief question. Can I use windows 98 SE with my new AMD FX 53 processor to be my OS again or will I need to upgrade to Windows XP?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Redrover Registered Senior Member

If it's a 32-bit processor (and I suspect it is), it should work with windows 98 se.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Alpha «Visitor» Registered Senior Member

It should, but why the hell would you want to put 98 on it? Man, go with Linux if you don't want WinXP.

It's 64bit.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Rick Valued Senior Member

I AM INTERESTED ALPHA.i have linux in my compaq desks,but i am thinking about installation in IBM THINKPAD X40.how about compatibility?

bye!

8. Alpha «Visitor» Registered Senior Member

Depends on which version of Linux you use, but I think most should be pretty compatible. Just try it and see. Maybe try with a livecd like Knoppix or something.

9. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I have a friend who has Linux installed on IBM Thinkpad.. duno/forgot the distro though, but I think that Mandrake 10 should do just fine.

10. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

The AMD has both 32 and 64 bit processing so what you are saying is that 98SE will still work alright, that's good because it is a great OS IMO. I can get WinXP Pro for a good price but if my old OS will run on the new processor then I'll stick with it. I thought that when I went over 1 GIG of SDram I'd have to change the OS because that speed wasn't designed into Win 98SE. I guess that was just a rumor.

11. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

*chokes*

12. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Well Win 98 SE hasn't crashed on me yet in over 5 years of use so I believe it is a good OS.

13. Alpha «Visitor» Registered Senior Member

98SE is incredibly insecure, and also rather unstable. If you haven't crashed 98 then you are not even coming close to making full use of your computer and you don't need hardware that good. I lost ~140Gb because of Win98SE. It's also slow and clumsy. Linux leapfrogs over every version of windows.
    Most of my experience is with Win98SE, and I can easily tell Linux is better.

14. jcastro Registered Member

All AMD Athlon 64, Opteron, and Athlon FX processor support both 32-bit and 64-bit software. Athlon XP, Duron, older variants, and all Intel processors (except for Nocona) only support 32-bit software. Windows XP-64bit takes advantage of the new 64-bit instructions (x86-64), while previous operating systems use x86-32. Anyway, I am new to these forums. I am a member of AMD Forums, so I have a little bit of computer knowledge under my belt. I am quite surprised by the amount of intelligence shown by this community. Hopefully I can learn a thing or two over here.

, jcastro

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.