A Request For Sciforum "Moderators"

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by (Q), Apr 23, 2014.

1. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Heh, understood. If you would like, please send me a PM with your concerns and I will do what I can to address them to the best of my ability

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

Q doesn't speak for me. I have nothing against Q, I can speak for myself. If I had a problem with the moderators or the site I would leave.:shrug:

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Gremmie "Happiness is a warm gun" Valued Senior Member

And, ya did...

Glad you're back though.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Balerion Banned Banned

I agree with Q, at least in part. I've said it before: this place needs a good flush.

I also agree with the notion suggested by spidergoat. Term limits is a good idea. I'd also like to revisit moderator as an elected office. Whatever the case, the system as it is now is absolutely fucked.

8. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

It wasn't the moderators, it was the crazies, I just couldn't stand to see the poor bunny beating himself up so much...

9. Gremmie "Happiness is a warm gun" Valued Senior Member

Meh, what's a concussion here and there?

It's to be expected, around here. But, I like it here... I guess I'm a masochistic type.

10. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

Interesting to read this thread. I tend to bound through now and then, mostly reading, not posting too much and have had no issues or concerns with the moderators to date. I observe that they do have considerably different communication and posting styles, but don't we all?

Personally, I have learned that if I don't care for the conversation in one venue, I will just seek another. Few things seem more of a waste of time than an argument on the internet. What's to be gained? No one can change the mind of anyone save themselves. :shrug:

11. Balerion Banned Banned

I have left on many occasions, once for several years, because the conversation was either too sparse or not interesting. (I remember when Sandy and--oh, now I can't remember his name--well, anyway, Sandy and some other Christian fundie were dominating the religion forum. They made folks like Jan and wellwisher seem agnostic. And reasonable.) But then there are times when the conversations are lively and engaging, and I don't want to leave. And it's those times that the moderators here seem to be at their worst.

Folks like Aqueous Id, GeoffP--that's required reading. I can't do without their contributions. spidergoat, when he feels like chiming in, is just as good. I even enjoyed sparring with the likes of LG--and his absence is a direct result of moderators abusing their power. Leaving is always an option, but I'd rather stay. And if that means arguing for either less moderation or less moderators, then so be it.

12. rpenner Fully Wired Valued Senior Member

To fairly consider the question, I believe I would have to be installed as a moderator on the Math & Physics forum. :thumbsup:

13. Arne Saknussemm trying to figure it all out Valued Senior Member

All Moderators Ought To Apologize, Promise To Reform or Resign

I have to say that I too am fed up with the quality of the moderators on SciForum. First there is the forever bizarre kmguru who claims to have a direct connection to Lord Krsna and in just the past three weeks warned of the Sun's impending super nova, and then of a coming ice age and now claims that in twenty years he will be the person responsible for the interstellar evacuation of this planet. (I am not making any of this up!)

Then there is Trippy, just today, with whom I thought I was taking part in a civil, but ridiculous, discussion about LSD as a headache cure when I merely stated that cluster headaches were different from migraines and he commenced insulting me and said I should expect correction if I was wrong, but I wasn't wrong about anything. He just didn't like me pointing out that they were different. Or... he's such a fan of LSD that he didn't like anyone speaking in anything in less than glowing terms about it.

And worst of all is Tiassa, who chose Easter Sunday to begin a thread in which he outright states "F*ck Jesus!". I don't know of course, but Tiassa's whole style bespoke a belligerent drunkenness and long-term grudge. All that would be fine, if he wasn't a moderator, and he wasn't being deliberately offensive and it wasn't the holiest day of the year for a major religion that happens to be the main religion in most of the countries forum members live in.

I have reported all three of these moderators, the bizarre, the belligerent and the batshit, but to no avail. My complaints have gone completely ignored.

14. quinnsong Valued Senior Member

Hey buddy you need to buck up a little you know, wear a little thicker skin. Not only have I felt insulted on this forum, but have been insulted on this forum, sometimes the insults were intentional and sometimes just a poster's writing style is to blame. It has been my observation that you are extremely sensitive and would have everyone treat you with kid gloves. Good luck with that.

15. Arne Saknussemm trying to figure it all out Valued Senior Member

You may very well be correct about me, Quinn. However kmguru's unique outlook and Tissa's drunken rants have nothing to do with me personally. And Trippy's crankiness really and truly was sparked by no-thing. My point is that were there brand new posters or even seasoned old ones who did not happen to be moderators, and they claimed to be the right-hands of Hindu deities, insulted millions with just two words or became offensive for absolutely no reason - how long do you think that would go overlooked by our moderation team?

16. quinnsong Valued Senior Member

Kmguru's unique outlook cannot harm you in any way and as to whether he/she should be a moderator:shrug:, hell I don't even know what subjects he moderates, do you? I saw the back and forth between Trippy and you and honestly you kind of overreacted IMO. Trippy's posts are usually spot on and full of useful info, yes he got a little snide at the end there but not terribly so. You actually reported that exchange?

Now Tiassa, well that is a different beastie altogether. He can make you wince, eh? Love his writing style and creativity when expressing his ideas and thoughts but he can be brutal and make one feel as though they have been eviscerated. Not sure, but sometimes I think Tiassa likes to shock , just to get things kicking around here.

17. Gremmie "Happiness is a warm gun" Valued Senior Member

Are you thinking of IamJoseph?... He was definitely, a zealot. Or maybe Auraca?...

At least Sandy, was somewhat entertaining.

18. Arne Saknussemm trying to figure it all out Valued Senior Member

Shocking to get things cooking, or kicking, is the polar opposite of a moderator's job. And again, Trippy irked me because I never before even directly discussed anything with him, and as you have seen, I really had no fault at all in that thread. Kmguru existence and position disturb me because, as you know, I am one of the few believers in religion here, and can't open my mouth in support of it without expecting The Spanish Inquisition being brought up, while kmguru has an entire forum to himself because no one understands what the heck he's talking about to want to bother answering him... and he is a science forum moderator!? It's too bizarre. I claim to be nothing more than a lackadaisical member of the the Roman Catholic Church who leans toward the non-denominational, and a so-called science forum moderator claims he has a direct link to Lord Krsna!? That's just too damned weird! But just to show you I don't take myself too seriously:

[video=youtube;vt0Y39eMvpI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vt0Y39eMvpI[/video]

19. quinnsong Valued Senior Member

Arne you make me laugh with this kmguru fixation you have. What is even funnier is everyone you ask about the situ just shrugs and kinda never has a good answer as to why he is even a moderator. hahahaha I am sorry it is too funny! Wouldn't it be something if he owned the site?

20. Arne Saknussemm trying to figure it all out Valued Senior Member

No, the owner is who kmguru answers to, a.k.a.:

21. quinnsong Valued Senior Member

Looks nice enough to me, and she can play the flute too!

22. Arne Saknussemm trying to figure it all out Valued Senior Member

Ahem, it's Lord, not Lady Krsna. Remember how you didn't like it when we all thought you were Eugene and not Eugenia Debs?

23. Gremmie "Happiness is a warm gun" Valued Senior Member

Actually, she looks pretty hot... For a smurf.

My favorite color is blue... Just not when it comes to people. Usually means they're dying.