a story about special relativity,who can explain it?

Discussion in 'Pseudoscience' started by TonyYuan, Mar 17, 2020.

1. TonyYuan Gravitational Fields and Gravitational Waves Registered Senior Member

The assumption that the speed of light is constant is wrong. That is to say, the theoretical basis of special relativity is not tenable.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

And, how do you know the speed of light is not constant and that SR is not tenable?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. TonyYuan Gravitational Fields and Gravitational Waves Registered Senior Member

General relativity is a physical theoretical model, just like gravitation, all of which are physical models.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

If that was the case the we wouldn't have SR. Obviously it is not the case, and the speed of light is constant in a vacuum, and follows geodesics in spacetime.

8. TonyYuan Gravitational Fields and Gravitational Waves Registered Senior Member

speed +
    Why does the speed of light change direction? The X-ray is bent, which means that the y-direction increases the speed. Where does the y-direction speed come from? It's because of gravity. So the speed in the X direction remains the same? Or has it changed? Can you tell me?

The speed of light measured anywhere on the earth is constant. Whether it's a vacuum or not.

9. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

And any scientific theory is as good as it gets, and our best solution at that time.

10. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Again, Light/photons follow geodesics in spacetime

11. TonyYuan Gravitational Fields and Gravitational Waves Registered Senior Member

This is also a model. It can be explained correctly with classical physics.

12. Halc Registered Senior Member

No it isn't. If I walk along the aisle of an airplane, speed of sound relative to me is not constant. With light, it stays constant. That's huge evidence that there is a medium for sound but not for light.

13. TonyYuan Gravitational Fields and Gravitational Waves Registered Senior Member

This is a metaphor. No one has ever measured the speed of light in the sun or a black hole.

Let's focus on my question, the fifth scene.

14. TonyYuan Gravitational Fields and Gravitational Waves Registered Senior Member

Fifth scene:
    Earth.....................................A---->u=0.2C............................B---->w=0.8C
    What is the velocity v of B relative to the earth?

w = (u-v)/(1-uv/c^2) = (0.2C - v)/(1-0.2C*v/C^2) = 0.8C
    0.2-v=(1-0.2v)*0.8
    0.84v = -0.6
    v = -0.714C, the velocity v of B relative to the earth is -0.714C, velocity direction is opposite to A.

But A sees B moving away at 0.8C, what happened?
    You can see different u and different w, v can get different directions, which is very interesting. For example:

if v=0.2C,w=0.1C
    w = (u-v)/(1-uv/c^2) = (0.2C - v)/(1-0.2C*v/C^2) = 0.1C
    0.2-v=(1-0.2v)*0.1
    0.98v = 0.1
    v = 0.102C,v direction is same to A.

Halc, i want hear your voice.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
  15. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

So? That's what science/physics does...model what we see. And that model stands as the accepted "scientific theory" until something better comes along. You have not done that and if you had, you would be in line for the Physics Nobel in November.

16. TonyYuan Gravitational Fields and Gravitational Waves Registered Senior Member

I gree with you.

17. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

No one needs to. It matches and aligns with our successful theory/model perfectly.

18. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

So what are you saying? Sorry, I did come into this late, but you seem to be saying that "c" is not constant, which would invalidate SR, which is not the case.

19. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

My understanding is that gravity either increases or decreases the energy/frequency depending on which way it's traveling near an object, not the speed.

20. exchemist Valued Senior Member

How do you account for the observed flux of muons due to cosmic rays, without using SR?

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/Relativ/muon.html

21. TonyYuan Gravitational Fields and Gravitational Waves Registered Senior Member

I really haven't studied this and can't express my opinion.

Fifth scene:
    Earth.....................................A---->u=0.2C............................B---->w=0.8C
    What is the velocity v of B relative to the earth?

w = (u-v)/(1-uv/c^2) = (0.2C - v)/(1-0.2C*v/C^2) = 0.8C
    0.2-v=(1-0.2v)*0.8
    0.84v = -0.6
    v = -0.714C, the velocity v of B relative to the earth is -0.714C, velocity direction is opposite to A.

But A sees B moving away at 0.8C, what happened?
    You can see different u and different w, v can get different directions, which is very interesting. For example:

if v=0.2C,w=0.1C
    w = (u-v)/(1-uv/c^2) = (0.2C - v)/(1-0.2C*v/C^2) = 0.1C
    0.2-v=(1-0.2v)*0.1
    0.98v = 0.1
    v = 0.102C,v direction is same to A.

22. exchemist Valued Senior Member

But if you assert that SR is not reliable, you need to be able to explain this without using it, you see. Accounting for this - and other experiments involving the apparent change in lifetime of sub-atomic particles - is one of SR's notable successes.

23. TonyYuan Gravitational Fields and Gravitational Waves Registered Senior Member

I've heard about this experiment. 10 years ago, I had different opinions. But the topic has no energy today. A little sleepy.
    I studied the formula given by Janus, and I did the analysis. You can see it.