Abortion advocated biblically!

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Provita, Jun 2, 2007.

1. Provita Provita Registered Senior Member

Numbers 5: 11-31 (NAB)

I have read this bible passage and have seen that it is a description of the act of abortion, the killing of a human inside a woman's womb (who is SUSPECTED of adultery), advocated as a law by God, since it is His word.

What does anyone else think? And how on earth is this a SYMBOLIC story? It seems it should be taken literally to me... thoughts?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Adstar Valued Senior Member

There is absolutely no talk of abortion in the Chapter. The woman would be under a curse if she was unfaithful to her husband. But it does not state the unborn child would die. The chapter does not even mention an unborn child at all.

Read it again.

You are right about one thing. It is not symbolic.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. PsychoticEpisode It is very dry in here today Valued Senior Member

I agree with Adstar. Killing the child is not mentioned. My impression of the text is that it is a precautionary rite performed by a priest that, depending on how it goes, exonerates or points a finger of guilt at the woman. A husband suspects his wife of cheating, takes her to a priest who performs some mumbo jumbo ceremony, and if in due time she shows signs of being pregnant, well, you know. A woman in touch with her ovulation cycle might want to take the test and risk a dalliance or two without being caught. Consider this passage as the first indication of women understanding the rhythm method, a natural form of birth control. Guys brains have evolved to such an extent that they reside in the groin area whereas women have figured that out, and it seems, a long time ago.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Provita Provita Registered Senior Member

I could have sworn talk of withering away her thighs meant an abortion... forgive me for wasting a topic.

8. PsychoticEpisode It is very dry in here today Valued Senior Member

Not a waste. People who analyze biblical passages do this all the time. You see what you think you see and a lot of time its what you want to see. For instance, give someone like Adstar time and he could probably interpret that whole passage as something wonderful.

9. kerux Registered Senior Member

Mosaic Law

Numbers 5:29 This is the law of jealousies, when a wife goeth aside to another instead of her husband, and is defiled;

That is punishment so that other married women (in Moses Time) will not do acts of concubinage.

10. Adstar Valued Senior Member

LOL I read the passage for what it says. Not like an anti-Christ hell bent on interpreting everything the bibles says in a negative way.

Some of the posts in here get the bible so twisted all you can do is sit back a shake your head and move on to the next topic.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

11. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: Abortion has been going on since the beginning of history. The nomads would put apricot pits in their camels wombs to prevent pregnancy while on the caravan. For women, twigs were used to stick in the cervix to interrupt a pregnancy. Sometimes it worked. Sometimes it didn't. Most Jews are not opposed to abortion, and Muslims permit it as long as it is with 40 days. (Correct me samcdkey, if I'm wrong).

Women in the middle ages would sit on a pot of boiling water to draw out the conceptus. This didn't work too often, but for some reason, it stayed around. The only thing I could see it doing was relieving menstrual cramps.

12. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

An interesting thing I found on this page (where you can also find a bunch of other Biblical passages in some way concerning abortion):

This interpretation seems to have demonstrable credibility. From Wikipedia:

For reference, Genesis 2:7, in the King James version, says: "And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul."

For cross reference, the same passage in the New International Version says: "The LORD God formed the man from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being."

And in Young's Literal Translation (hey, seems promising) the passage is: "And Jehovah God formeth the man -- dust from the ground, and breatheth into his nostrils breath of life, and the man becometh a living creature."