About a Russian anarchist artist in Europe

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Schmelzer, Apr 17, 2016.

1. Schmelzer Valued Senior Member

This thread I start especially for all those who think or like to claim that Russians are docile, with a slave mentality.

It is about a Russian anarchist artist, who is quite famous in the West for not being docile at all. Namely, about Oleg Vorotnikov from the anarchist art group Voina (War), https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voina The Western heros from Pussy Riot have been in this group too.

The interesting thing is written in Russian language, at http://www.furfur.me/furfur/heros/heroes-furfur/217249-voyna He is now in Swiss. Most of the article is about some personal conflicts with local guys and the local police. The most interesting is the following (rough translation by me):

Not that I would like this guy, or support him - even if he is anarchist, there are some important differences. But I can understand him very well. As his opinion about Europeans being much more squeezed and scared, as about associating Russia with culture. (And, scnr, from what I have seen from America it is even worse there.)

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Oleg who?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Another obscure artist isn't noteworthy.

And the fact is Russians have been very docile and heavily dependent upon a single leader to tell them what to do and what to believe. It's that old deeply ingrained belief in a saintly tsar and the evil boyars. Russians have never moved into the modern world of democratization. If the boyars are bad, the tsar is no saint.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
  4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

...gotta love Putin's new $1.5 billion castle though. His personal spending and lavish lifestyle puts the Tsars to shame.

joepistole likes this.
  6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.