About words.

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by 2+2, Mar 4, 2001.

1. 2+2 Registered Senior Member

<body>

<p><font size="3">I have this little theory about language, about words.&nbsp;
    I'll toss it out here.&nbsp;&nbsp;</font></p>
    <p><font size="3">What is really evolving is language.&nbsp; Words themselves
    are much more numerous now than even 20 years ago.&nbsp; Language is a meme and
    passes from generation to generation in its expanding form.&nbsp; Now with
    computers and the www the forms of expression also expand dramatically as it did
    when writing began, and then printing, the radio and T.V.&nbsp; As language
    grows, more and more aspects of reality are exposed.&nbsp; We pin words, new
    words sometmes on all the data, and these realizations can not get away.</font></p>
    <p><font size="3">Words are the key.&nbsp; Chances are if you live in a third
    world country then you don't know what the hell a meme is even.&nbsp; Without
    words... if you had no words at all, no sign language ( those are words), then
    there are no chairs, no stars, no you, and no world.&nbsp; The world comes into
    being as babies begin to name.&nbsp; And when you can no longer name, like in a
    severe case of Alzheimer's disease, ones world crumbles to what you can name.</font></p>
    <p><font size="3">Feral children are a good argument for me here, since they
    grow up without words, they see themselves as an animal, and labor to even hear
    words if brought into society.&nbsp; And Helen Keller, when she got words, then
    here universe began to open.</font></p>
    <p><font size="3">Human beings I think are hard wired for language.&nbsp; There
    is an interesting case in El Salvador where after the revolution the authorities
    gathered several hundred deaf school aged children to teach them sign
    language.&nbsp; None of them had any training but humble signs that ones
    families come up with.&nbsp; Anyway, the teachers took several months to arrive
    and by then the children had created their own sign language unlike any in the
    world.&nbsp; This was in the NYTIMES Sunday Magazine in October of '99, I
    think.&nbsp; Of course new languages have never happened, and this one is
    growing and popular.</font></p>
    <p><font size="3">If as they say, &quot;There is no difference between who you
    are, and what you have done,&quot; then, what you did was determined by your
    words. By your vocabulary... what you talked about.</font></p>
    <p>&nbsp;</p>

</body>

</html>

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Boris Senior Member Registered Senior Member

You are right all over the place. Humans are indeed hardwired for language; Minsky demonstrated that decades ago. And languages are indeed memes, just like any other cultural artifact that has to survive across generations.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. tony1 Jesus is Lord Registered Senior Member

You bet.

For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.
    (Matthew 12:37, KJV).

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. ATHEISTHATER Registered Member

2+"a Few" thrown in.....

<p><font size ="2">Responding to you reminds me of the story of the Cat who was too curious, nonetheless you intrigue me 2+2 ! ! !

Your writing is a bit too blatant & BOLD, it seems me though, that you would be someone worth knowing as a friend, if you cared to be a friend, that is ! ! ! !

<u> JUST CURIOUS ! ! !

8. Gambit Star Universal Entity Registered Senior Member

Hmm, I agree with you 2+2, we can explore more of our perceptions through language and share and develop more.
    We can now even offer animals a different point of view of their own worlds....
    But I have to say I did not like your comments on the "feral child". I think with your sort of intellegence and perspective you should have realised that there is no heirachy in life, we just all play our roles for it to all work out.

or maybe that is my stupidity.

Language is great that is why we should listen no nonsense and irrational thought, it has its "supreme" purpose. To see ones self without pictures.