Absolutely Nothing: Atheists on What They Know About What They Pretend to Discuss

Discussion in 'Religion' started by Tiassa, Nov 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

If it’s my body, then it belongs to me.
    You’re not your microwave. Are you?
    Lol!!!
    What is a human beings functionality?
    Lol!!!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

You're telling yourself a story. Your body is telling itself a story. Unless you have evidence to the contrary, of course.

I don't know if I understand your question.

Functionality means that something has a purpose for someone or something. From whose or what's point of view are you asking about the purpose of a human being?

For instance, the functionality for a human being from the point of view of the DNA contained in that human being is that the human being is a convenient machine for spreading copies of the genes throughout the world.

Is that the kind of thing you had in mind?

And why all the nervous laughter? You're starting to act like Magical Realist.

Oh, and you ignored my last question. Why?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

I don’t know what you’re talking.
    I am separate to things that belong to.
    Focus on what I’m saying.
    Do the elements know, or can they discuss, what their functionality is?
    So what is a human beings functionality?
    Lol!!!
    I already answered it in the quote you responded to.

By the way, my laughter isn’t nervous laughter.
    It’s funny how you know things, without any knowledge of the thing you claim to know.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

You are trying to use a form of words to establish that you are not your body. In other words, this is another use of your usual tactic of trying to define yourself out of a problem.

Certainly, you feel that your consciousness is a separate thing from your body. Conceptually, it is separate. But that doesn't mean that it is caused by anything other than processes that are intrinsic to your body (including the brain, of course).

It doesn't matter that your conception is that a separate you "owns" a body that it can make use of. What matters is not your subjective belief, but the objectively verifiable facts of the matter, which are that "you" go away if and when "your" body goes away. There's really no "you" to separate from your body. There's only the "you" that your brain gives you the illusion of. Giving you that perception is only part of what your brain does for you.

It is more accurate to say that "you" belong to your body, rather than the other way around.

An interesting factoid that you might like to consider: not every language uses terms like "my body", "my arm", "my brain". That's a kind of accidental feature of English. For instance, in French, you would simply refer to "the body" or "the arm", never "my body" or "my arm".

You know that science has moved on from earth, air, fire and water, I assume. Which elements are you referring to?

Your body (including the brain) is a pattern made from billions of small "elemental" building blocks. That pattern combines in such a way that the resulting human being is about to contemplate its own "functionality".

It does not, of course, follow that a property of the whole is necessarily the property of any of its parts, considered in isolation. Possibly you're falling into the Fallacy of Composition.

Didn't I answer that question before?

Sure. I believe you.

8. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

I’m using words to convey a point of fact.
    I cannot be anything that belongs to me.
    Then it becomes “my consciousness”. Then we still have the problem of who or what does my consciousness belong to.
    There is “I” and “mine”.
    How do you know?
    Is something non existent, purely on the basis of not being able to see it?
    You’re entitled to your opinion.
    I respect your opinion, but I’m of a different one.
    Read above.
    The fact remains that it is your body.
    Do the french introduce themselves as “I am” Mr/Mrs/Ms...
    The ones I mentioned earlier.
    Why does the human being need to contemplate its own functionality?
    Again. What is the human beings functionality?
    I’m simply stating that I am not the things that belong to me. It’s really that simple. No need for unnecessary complications.
    That’s the power of truth. Anyone can know it.
    No.
    I think you do, but it is not in your best interest to admit it, in this case.

9. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

That's what it is all about I venture and the key.
    That is what an atheist can't realise but I can understand what is going on ... I had a mate who believed Tarot cards worked, he read for people because he had the gift... It dawned on me one day he believed this stuff and do competent with motor electrics building martial arts there is more..yet he believes he is more or less a spirit and he will reincarnate to the next level...as Jan asks for years of research in a short sentence so he can give his earth shattering rebuttal irrespective of any answer he may receive, altered perhaps from its last employment to avoid sounding somewhat tiresome. But he has his belief and it seems to turn on this soul thing maybe spirit thing...if so ok be decent and hopefully you get another ticket...some folk need that it seems and someone who can cater to that can ask for anything.
    I don't have that need but Jan has something going on there where another life may be something he would like.
    Alec

10. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

Can you reiterate that please?

11. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

The truth is simple.
    What is is the truth as you read this?
    Because not only does nothing else matter, that is all you have to rely on.
    All this back and forth is totally inferior to the truth.
    Seek out what is true.

12. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

I think he was into Avatar... some group. He spent a fortune with them.
    All about reaching different levels of enlightenment but he had this spirit type concept, I don't know if that is Avatar stuff or not.
    Had his meat raw as cooking took the life out of it..it's dead mate.
    But what I am trying to say is if we are to survive we need to be tolerant and do things my way. Be was brilliant martial artist even swords...he could get a broom and some how flick you to the other side off the room...I have been flicked by him and I have no idea what he did..somehow dragging you one way and flicking you in the opposite direction. But just to fast to oppose it.
    He thinks I am on some high level..one day we needed the door closed and I said I will do it and sat there making out I was willing it to happen a d the damn thing sung shut..I played along as if that is what I expected rather than breaking out laughing...what he believes about that incident is different to the way I see it.
    The night before the Japanese Earth quakes he was buying a katana, it arrived that day and he was not happy with it...I had been reading the Bible and casually said..those Japanese deserve a good smiting let three reactors melt down ...well the next day I called in and it had happened...one reactor was in melt down at that time...he looked pale ... Somehow it's you ..no no I said...I said three reactors would melt down it's a mere co incidence...after the third reactor melted down things between us were never the same...
    Maybe Jan we are gods.
    You know a good thread would be how did mercy evolve.
    Maybe I am a brain in a vat a d someone in control is introducing those weird things to see my reaction..well it wasn't me.
    Should talk to MR he could put me straight.
    But how strange and with all the others very strange.
    Alex

13. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

Lol!!!(not nervously)

14. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

Who are talking about?

15. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

I have Jan ...any belief you would like to think should marry well with ones belief. You have your truth I have mine...and I can totally appreciate how you feel ... The truth maybe something we have yet to discover maybe beyond our science and religion...we don't know what we don't know...well I know of course and I could explain it but free advice is not valued...and there is no price that would get me to reveal everything.
    I have my mission and when complete I shall return to the home planet...back there I turn into a butterfly.
    Alex

16. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

My tarot card mate. I thought you wanted details is all.
    Alex

17. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

Truth by definition, is objective.
    There is no “You have your truth and I have mine”.
    You don’t discover truth, you uncover truth.
    The truth is reality.

18. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

True. I have presented over time my subjective truth which can only be objective...I guess at the end of the day one of us is wrong..no big deal.
    Thats the truth.
    I doubt if you watched the videos I posted ..there is a great start. .you do uncover things you would not believe...how it all fits...how Rome built itself into everything in the future..which is now.
    Dare you to comment on the videos.
    After that there are some clay tablets you should read...
    What was an Eygptian pyramid used for...the answer off the top of your head please..it's important you share your first response and I will point out something that will get you thinking.
    Alex

19. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

Many philosophers would disagree with you. I find tomatoes to be disgusting. That is my truth. Others find them to be delicious. And that is their truth.
    So which is the objective truth? Are they disgusting or delicious? Or is that an example of a subjective truth?
    Objective truths are those truths that are true irrespective of perspective, irrespective of emotion, etc.
    The same way that Columbus uncovered a landmass subsequently called America, right?

Xelasnave.1947 likes this.
  20. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

Right of the bat?
    Burial chambers .

21. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

I would have to go with subjective.
    That may or may not be true.
    I would put that in the information pile.

22. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

Yes that's almost a universal reply.
    But it seems not one body had been found in a pyramid...the bodies are found in the valley of the king's.
    Alex

23. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

You don't even know what the word 'explanation' means let alone being able to offer one.

Actually, it's people just like you who give me ample reasons not to believe in God.

Here's a little hint, Jan, there actually are people who think rather than just believe. The fact that you're not one of them speaks volumes in that response.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.