Absurd things Christians say...

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by takethewarhome, Sep 8, 2009.

1. takethewarhome midnatt klarhet Registered Senior Member

Well, you know that came from the period when the plague was rampant. The fist symptom, often times, was sneezing, so they began to start saying 'god bless you' in hopes that you wouldn't... well, die.

But yeah, utterly useless.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

i dont believe cause christianity tells me to..
    i search for a church to attend that most resembles what i think god has taught me..
    my relationship with god is from questioning everything (test all things hold onto what is good)
    God teaches me things and the bible usually backs up those lessons..
    if it comes across as a particular religion its an accident..

i have been in catholic,baptist,pentacostal,a few non-denominational churches and a few others ive forgotten..i dont go with the label..i look at the ppl and see whether its a 'Do as your told' church(imho evil) or a 'think for yourself' church..
    i dont believe in religion..but i do believe in hanging out with ppl that believe as i do,

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. takethewarhome midnatt klarhet Registered Senior Member

As an atheist, I think this is great.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. PsychoticEpisode It is very dry in here today Valued Senior Member

That's what I meant by being somewhere in the middle.

More of the same

If you are questioning everything then you must have questioned God? How did you test the answer you received?

Anything in particular? Example maybe?

Has it ever come across as a religion other than Christian? How does the answer in one bible come across as another's religion?

I don't think the thread is asking for denominations, It's just focusing on Christianity which seems like your choice here. Out of curiosity which denomination is the think for yourself church?

Who, people who don't believe in religion?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I had no idea that churches are attended by those types. Or are you a non attender? Please set the record straight, do you or do you not hang out with people who go to church but don't believe in religion? I find this arrangement uniquely rare, or is that my prejudice showing...people actually attend church without believing in the religion of that church? If so then why do you go?

8. Adstar Valued Senior Member

I once went down that path, looking for the "right" church (denomination/organization) but having never found one that conformed to the Message of Jesus i came to realise that the true Church is a body of believers who are independent in thought from the doctrine enchained "churches" or this world.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

9. Repo Man Valued Senior Member

It was believed that when you sneezed, your soul momentarily left your body. God bless you was said in order to ward of any lurking demons who might take advantage of that momentary absence and possess your body before your soul could re inhabit it. Superstitious nonsense, and why I say gesundheit (good health) instead. I would say nothing, and let the superstition die, but it's considered poor manners.

10. SetiAlpha6 Come Let Us Reason Together Valued Senior Member

It seems like you are twisting the text to make it say what you want it to say. The Bible teaches in one place that God is not the author of confusion and in another, this text, that He is.

It was a legitimate question since he is reported to do things such as this in the Old Testament.

Of course He is not a man and of course I am not Him, but is God moral? I thought that the Laws He gave us had basis in His character. Is God "Love"? Is God "Justice"? If so, then how can He actively prevent someone from being saved who could otherwise be saved? This is neither "Love" or "Justice" in my mind.

11. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

the 'think for yourself' churches are mixed in with all the other religions..gotta look for them..hard to find..

LOL..funny you say that...my pastor is often anti-religious he hates how religion has screwed up what god is supposed to be about...
    i believe in god..not religion..

12. Grim_Reaper I Am Death Destroyer of Worlds Registered Senior Member

But God is religion if you seperate the two you dont have anythng but a gathering of people talking about a fictional charactor. The only way to remove God from religion would be to proclain ones self as God and then we have the problem of the cult folowing which inturn brings us back to religion. So you see God and religion are indeed one and the same now matter what your God is in any opart of the world.

13. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

god is not religion. that's a ridiculous statement. god is also not fictional.

14. takethewarhome midnatt klarhet Registered Senior Member

This really doesn't make much sense. I mean... I understand what you're driving at, but it just doesn't mean much. What point, exactly, are you trying to make with this?

15. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: Unless you have solid proof that god exists, I'm afraid he/she/it remains a myth. What happens inside your head, stays inside your head.

16. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

god proved it's existance to me, and it used a lot more than my head to do it.

you're thinking of las vegas.

17. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

Religion is man made, not god made..
    proof is 'how many different types of religions are there?'

at least 12....

18. lightgigantic Banned Banned

there's also more than 12 different words for "water" on the planet too .... this doesn't establish the notion of "water" being man-made however ....

19. PsychoticEpisode It is very dry in here today Valued Senior Member

How does that prove religion is not?

20. lightgigantic Banned Banned

It proves that the general principles being applied to determine the argument (namely, that religion is man made) don't stand the rigors of being tested in different scenarios.

21. PsychoticEpisode It is very dry in here today Valued Senior Member

Applying principles of argument maybe but religion, no way. If the argument for religion being a human construct cannot be made then are you saying it supports the contention that religion is divinely sent?

22. lightgigantic Banned Banned

No

I am saying that a valid proof for religion being man-made hasn't been provided.

Testing the divinity of a theistic claim is something else entirely.

23. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: Interesting.