Absurd things Christians say...

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by takethewarhome, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Enmos Valued Senior Member

No, the word psychopath has a specific meaning.
    As a result, regular people are not psychopathic.

A bit arrogant, wouldn't you say?
    So what kind of person are you.. ? I mean, since you claim not to be a regular person.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

Ahh, but how are you defining religious people? I know you're a Nederlander, but consider the U.S. Would you consider the 70 odd percent (I don't know what it is, but it's obscenely up there) of folks who describe themselves as Christian, say? Or the ones who are quite active in their church? If so, I'd be inclined to agree.

But, were you to mean those who have a true religious sentiment, of a sort (even if they are disinclined to name it as such, out of a desire to disassociate themselves with the other sorts)? Then, I don't know.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

That's completely arbitrary enmos. I use that word a lot. Its versatile and emphatic. You know its my fave! You're being religious. I'll give you some slack for being dutch and all, but here in the states, we like fuck. Well, except for the religious hypocrites, cause they're too good for that word.

I would smack the pope down.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I meant to include anyone that identifies him- or herself with a religion.
    I did say "on average".

8. Enmos Valued Senior Member

You cut me some slack for being Dutch?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. mike47 Banned Banned

Maybe he was a pries or she was a nun....

10. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

Paradigm alert!

"regular people" treat each other horribly and barbarically every day. You don't see that mr. "here be monsters"?

I am a child of god. And god rules, regardless of what ego and fear may tell you.

11. takethewarhome midnatt klarhet Registered Senior Member

You never answered my question: Whether you believe the bible is the word of god and should be followed verbatim?

12. takethewarhome midnatt klarhet Registered Senior Member

Yes, they do. and you're one of them, visceral and greedy and wrathful. We all are. You won't ever be 'above it'.

13. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Well, yes.. but that doesn't make them psychopaths.
    Besides, my user title isn't referring to that at all.

God rules? So is everything going according to plan or did he loose control?

14. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

Again, I agree. But I think one has to keep in mind that while religion as a product of "the church," i.e. structured, hierarchical, dogmatic, etc., is indeed problematic (to say the least). it ought not be conflated with or confused for religious beliefs or thinking.

15. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Exactly.

16. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

Just trying to give you the benefit of the doubt sweetheart.

17. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Frankly, I don't care about the difference too much in this context, as it suffices to lump them all together

I don't know if you consider yourself religious (but I didn't think so), so please note that I said "on average".

18. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I don't need the benefit of the doubt. And in what actually?

19. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

From my experience, the bible is the word of god and should not be followed verbatim.

It says in the scripture itself that the meaning is hidden. It is translated only on a personal level by its author, the spirit.

And before you contest, I have had a spirit channel writing through me, so I'm very aware of how it happens.

20. mike47 Banned Banned

Every religion has contradictions .
    I find it weird that the Christinians believe that their Jesus is a man who lived a man's life, a God, a son of God, a king.....etc. They would argues with straight faces that their belief is true and accurate !!!.
    Jesus' life shows that he was just a simple man and no more than that .

21. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

Well then why are you alarmed by a word?

I don't know about your culture. Maybe dutch only use that word when they're upset.

22. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

Even so, it's honestly somewhat difficult for me to generalize as regards this.

Certainly, when I think of the U.S. I would have no problem making such an assertion. But when I consider the various brands of Christians outside of the U.S., it's not so clear (and I'm thinking, for this purpose, of the present day--not necessarily of Christians over the preceding two thousand years). From my personal experience, at least, Christians/Catholics/etc. in Europe, Central and South America, and in the parts of Asia and the Middle East I've experienced, do not seem all that distinguishable in behaviors and attitudes (in this respect) from non-Christians.

And all I can say to the other part is that I have a very decided distaste for positivistic thinkers. Heh.

23. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

The story of jesus tells me that we have a genetic defect that hinders communion and causes suffering and death, and that we can be cleansed of that defect.