Abused computers

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Porfiry, Jun 5, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Porfiry Nomad Registered Senior Member

This is rather interesting/amusing:

http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,44284,00.html

While it's not directly stated, I think it's pretty obvious that you can blame this on the appalling state of user interfaces these days. I'm ashamed to realize how little work has been done to improve user interaction over the decades of computer use. It's an embarrassment to humanity (but them, humanity itself is an embarrassment, but I'll save that for another rant).

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. dexter ROOT Registered Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

New uses for the aged

After the viewing of the link looks like I found a new use for the keyboard and moniter! And how would you achieve broken keys? My poor elderly computer doesn't know such treatment. Should I teach it?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Porfiry Nomad Registered Senior Member

I must admit I've been tempted to throw my computer out the window on several occasions, but ended up being satisfied with a harsh smack of the keyboard along with vile language that I'd never use in either civilized or uncivilized company.

Lost data has never prompted this -- I merely chuckle moronically for a few minutes at God's most recent attempt to ruin my life (realizing, of course, that laughter and sobbing are congruent). The only thing that truly infuriates me are the non-deterministic programming errors that necessarily appear in one's C code 2 hours before an assignment is due. I'm convinced that 2nd year CS took a few months off my lifespan.

8. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Banging th' keys

So now that I’ve figured how to bang keys, I guess I should take it to the next level.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

How strange, I have more patience for my computer than for people in general. I guess that’s not something to brag about is it.

I think nothing of loosing the data on the hard drive or locking the thing up after installing something that created a conflict and at the same time have a real problem sometimes with a driver cutting me off. It’s not that I want to go out and snatch the driver out of the car but rather that I get so wrapped up in the rat race.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2001
  9. Deadwood Registered Senior Member

Porfiry, are you sure those results in that survey are right?

On in every four computers are abused. Another title for that survey would be that one in every four computers use Windows.

I know that was lame, but hey, it was still out there for the taking

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. 666 Registered Senior Member

Well last friday I experienced "pager rage". I support these poor battered computers and getting paged every 5 minutes while I'm trying to fix them can really piss me off!!!!! After 7 months of trying to destroy this torture device I finally experienced bilssfull joy as the LCD crack while stomping the electrons out of it.

The bad thing is that it still receives pages I just can't read them. Motarola makes a dam strong pager. It's been flung at speeds at cement walls, skip accross the parking lot like a stone, had a center hole punch hamered into it, dunked into water and swriled around while it was still on, slamed into my desk more time then I can rember, and it lasted for 7 months!!!!!!!!

www.drivesavers.com

These guys come in handy when a customer decides to treat his laptop like my pager. They have a disk-aster museum that is prety cool.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.