acrylamide

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by lotuseatsvipers, Jul 16, 2002.

1. lotuseatsvipers CloseMindedBob Registered Senior Member

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/health/newsid_2064000/2064635.stm

"The World Health Organisation (WHO) has called the three-day meeting of 25 experts following the publication of a Swedish survey in April which showed that some starch-based foods contained the chemical acrylamide, which is thought to be linked to cancer.

Researchers from Stockholm University and Sweden's National Food Administration found acrylamide was formed when carbohydrate-rich foods such as potatoes, rice or cereals were heated.

The study said that an ordinary bag of crisps may contain up to 500 times more of the substance than the top level allowed in drinking water by the (WHO)."

Not sure where to put this thread, but this seems as good a place as any.

I've seen things in the news a couple of times on this. It's a rather freightening thing, to me at least. I mean how much of our diet is made up of these heated carbs!? Now the ones of you who consume a lot of red meat should just totally ignore this, because you obviously don't care about cancer risks anyways.

It makes me wonder how right the people are who try to only eat 'raw' foods....I'm not gonna go that far, but it just makes me wonder.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. lotuseatsvipers CloseMindedBob Registered Senior Member

SORRY! I JUST SAW THE THREAD ABOUT THE SAME DAMN THING. Ill go back to my corner now...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Last edited: Jul 16, 2002
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.