ACTH-like skin darkening drug?

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by visceral_instinct, Nov 19, 2008.

1. phlogistician Banned Banned

Visceral, you're going off on tangents, trying to prove something from disparate sources. BTW, you didn't refute anything, the quote you provided actually agreed with the one I provided. Seems you're so keen to pick a fight, you aren't really understanding what you are quoting. Calm down, eh?

We also are no discussing what I choose to do, that aspect of this thread is just you trying to pick a fight.

But if you must know, I'm a guy with long hair, who most often wears combat trousers (when I'm not in the office, conforming to what people think of as being 'normal'). The latter because my father was in the military, and we weren't that well off, so I wore his old fatigues when I started to fit them. Wearing army surplus now helps keep me grounded, if you will, and I am still bemused by people that like designer labels and those that follow fads. I'm a techhie, a scientist, a numbers guy, marketing and hype do not cater for my demographic.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

I don't even know what you're on about when you say I'm using disparate sources.

I am not keen to pick a fight. I have better things to do than have a debate on here.

Yes, it did indeed - I was disagreeing with YOU, not the quote. You were using it to imply that piercings were generally indicative form being emotionally unstable, of as you put it, psychopathology, when it was actually only a minor correlation.

I was not actually interested in what you personally do, I was trying to point out that anything you do can be considered following, not just mods.

Just out of interest, why do you have long hair?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. phlogistician Banned Banned

I have long hair at the moment. In my teens, I had a buzzcut. I grew it longer when I went away to college, and saved money on haircuts, and as I also liked heavy metal, this kinda fit and helped me pull rock chicks, and as it was the 80's I had no interest in Duran Duran fan girlies.

Later, I smashed my leg snowboarding, so cut it all off again and had a buzzcut for a few years, eventually growing it out again, figuring I should enjoy it while I could still grow it.

Also, I have a square head and just look too much like some jarhead with short hair, esp in fatigues.

I only stated that people with 'a large number' are unhappy, as verified by the researcher I quoted. Go re-read the thread if you think I said something different.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Which is not actually true.

Not everyone with multiple piercings is unhappy.

Sure, there are a definite minority who get them for the wrong reasons, and yes, are unhappy. It is hardly the case that multiple piercings = unhappiness though.

8. phlogistician Banned Banned

I didn't say 'multiple piercings' I said 'a large number of' and the quote I provided agreed that large numbers and pathology had a correlation.

Also, from personal life experience, I only knew one guy who had a lot of tattoos, (entire torso, and arms) and quite a few piercings, and he got depressed and hung himself.

9. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Doesn't multiple equal a large number...

And yes, but I seem to remember this was a minor correlation and not a general rule, not 'several piercings automatically equals unhappiness'.

Ya, but remember, this was ONE person. Plenty of people have tattoos/metal, and they're happy.

10. phlogistician Banned Banned

No, mutliple = more than one, or several. A large number = 20, 20 or more in this context.

A correlation is a correlation. Word it however you like, it won't go away.

I don't know any other people who have so many tattoos, so I can't gather good stats, but 100% of the people I knew with 'a large number' committed suicide.

11. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

I don't deny that some people do it for the wrong reasons, and yes, are unhappy. I just think it's unfair to tar everyone who has mods with the same brush.

12. thecollage Registered Senior Member

13. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Sorry, assholes as in your anus, or assholes as in annoying people?